No announcement yet.

Tiger Woods: Does Anybody Even Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some manufacturers may be experiencing some difficulties but it might be because their price point and an Obama economy. Why would anyone buy a 1200 set of clubs when you can by a second hand set for 2-300. Much of the country for the last 8 years have suffered the obama economy. When this economy really gets going nation wide more folks will have the expendable income to start buying that equipment.
    Golf if just as strong today as it was 3-4 years ago when Tiger was playing good golf.

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
      I get the sentiment but think you severely underestimate his impact on golf. NO ONE has had a bigger impact on golf from a financial standpoint. Purse money has increased at least 10x, the number of amateur players has boomed worldwide, equipment manufacturers, etc. In fact, the single biggest reason the golf business is struggling right now is Tiger is no longer in the field.

Afraid you will continue to hear his name for several more decades
      This is true

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post

Earth is flat
        read the article

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          When Tiger came on the scene golf was about as low as low gets.
          It had to go up at some point. I'll agree that even though up was the only direction it could have gone Tiger took it higher than anyone could have expected. Tiger has not been relevant in 3 years and still the sport is gaining popularity year after year. There will most likely not be a giant rise like when Tiger showed up but thats only because its not in the swamp now like it was then
          Come one now... you sound like you secretly just don't like him, which is perfectly ok but... No one will ever impact golf like he did. Ever. Not the entire rest of the tour. He hit shots no one could hit, and then got the crowd to react like no one can.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            Some manufacturers may be experiencing some difficulties but it might be because their price point and an Obama economy. Why would anyone buy a 1200 set of clubs when you can by a second hand set for 2-300. Much of the country for the last 8 years have suffered the obama economy. When this economy really gets going nation wide more folks will have the expendable income to start buying that equipment.
            Golf if just as strong today as it was 3-4 years ago when Tiger was playing good golf.
            While I agree on the Obama comment, you're wrong again. Go talk to the manufacturers and golf courses and they'll tell you it's because tiger isn't playing. Look at the ratings every Sunday. As much as I love blaming Obama, he isn't the reason people quit watching golf.

Comment

I love watching Baldrick suck badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                Jordan may never be the same after the Masters as Tiger was was never the same after the divorce.
                bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...

Tiger's divorce had nothing to do with his golf failures, his injuries did...

man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts

Comment

Taylormade has ruined the golf industry in my eyes and I used to work for them. Taylormade produces new clubs almost every 6 months. No body in their right mind wants to spend $400 on a new driver when they know the new one will be out in 6 months and they can wait until that $400 driver is on sale, and buy it for $199. Or buy it used for less than that.

Every manufacturer of golf equipment is hurting and sales are down.

Tiger has done way more for golf than any other golfer that has played the game. Speith is the next one in line on what he has done for golf. If you asked some random person off of the street who Dustin Johnson was they wouldn't be able to tell you more than likely, but if you asked them who Tiger Woods was they would be able to tell you. The golf industry needs Tiger to stick around. Even if he isn't competing..although I hope one day he's able to because no one, not even Speith or Day or Johnson or Phil has ever played golf like Tiger has. He could make things happen that people couldn't fathom.

Comment

He made golf popular again. I dont see new fans running out to pick up game because of Rory, Spieth and Bubba........its just what he did for the game. Period. .......Heck he brought more minorities to game . He made game the game reachable for more people than just country club members.
                    Last edited by Marco; 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                      Taylormade has ruined the golf industry in my eyes and I used to work for them. Taylormade produces new clubs almost every 6 months. No body in their right mind wants to spend $400 on a new driver when they know the new one will be out in 6 months and they can wait until that $400 driver is on sale, and buy it for $199. Or buy it used for less than that.

Every manufacturer of golf equipment is hurting and sales are down.

Tiger has done way more for golf than any other golfer that has played the game. Speith is the next one in line on what he has done for golf. If you asked some random person off of the street who Dustin Johnson was they wouldn't be able to tell you more than likely, but if you asked them who Tiger Woods was they would be able to tell you. The golf industry needs Tiger to stick around. Even if he isn't competing..although I hope one day he's able to because no one, not even Speith or Day or Johnson or Phil has ever played golf like Tiger has. He could make things happen that people couldn't fathom.
                      Kind of like what the car industry does, that's not taylormades fault, that's the stores fault for buying way to much stock, they make outstanding drivers/woods...their irons are crap outside of the RS1's.....I play with PXG's so kinda of biased

Comment

Tiger Woods transcended the game golf like no other in recent times just like Nicklaus and Arnie did in their prime. I bet I haven't watched a golf tournament in years but when Tiger was dominating I rarely missed when he was playing.

Comment

tiger won with dominance, conviction, swag, charisma, fear, confidence....it is something we will never see again in golf period. If tiger had today's equipment with his body from 1999-2005 he would've won 50 times in that period, his swing/short game was flawless

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                            bull****, Jordan bounced back very well after the masters, had 10 top 10 finishes out of 16 starts after the collapse, including a win...the field is just stacked with talent, and his ball striking was crap last year, oh yeah he also won last week...

Tiger's divorce had nothing to do with his golf failures, his injuries did...

man people who chime in on tiger clearly don't know anything about the actual facts
                            His golf game didn't go down hill because of his injuries...his game went to crap once he wife found out about all of the ladies he was sleeping with.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                              Kind of like what the car industry does, that's not taylormades fault, that's the stores fault for buying way to much stock, they make outstanding drivers/woods...their irons are crap outside of the RS1's.....I play with PXG's so kinda of biased
                              Taylormade and all of the other manufacturers set the prices...not the retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
                                While I agree on the Obama comment, you're wrong again. Go talk to the manufacturers and golf courses and they'll tell you it's because tiger isn't playing. Look at the ratings every Sunday. As much as I love blaming Obama, he isn't the reason people quit watching golf.
                                Read the article
                                Participation, and viewership are both up.

As for whether or not i like tiger.....i did, i give him credit for what golf has become. What i dont like is watching an event and all the talk on the broadcast is about a man who has not been relevant on the course in 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X