No announcement yet.

Serious accident while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this back in May and while it was not during a hunt, it was hunt related.

I had a Gametamer hung onto a small live oak tree for about 3 years and the tree started to grow around the stand vertical supports, so I decided to remove the stand and relocate it to another tree. I had a heavy-duty 12' ladder with a platform for access to the Gametamer, so I felt all would be safe. Brought my Tractor with front end loader as a work platform to add to the safety factor. Climbed the ladder and stepped onto the tractor bucket and freed one side of the stand. When I stepped from the bucket onto the ladder I did not notice the strap had broken and when my weight was on the ladder, it shifted and out I went. My face met a large yaupon and split both lips open, almost tore my nose, and knocked me out on the way down. The only thing I remember after waking up was being on my hands and knees with blood gushing out my nose and mouth/lips. I called my Wife and told her to get a wet towel and take me to the ER. We live about 5 miles from Sam Rayburn Dam and she drove me 50 miles to the Lufkin ER. The absolute worst part was the Surgeon placing the shots in my face to deaden the wounds, before placing 66 stitched in my lips. Amazingly, I healed quickly for a 67 year old phart and only have minor scaring from the tears to my lips. Also, no bones were broken and the only additional thing was a sprained thumb.

It doesn't matter how safe you try and make things, sometimes fate just happens. I am truly thankful to be alive, as it could have been much worse for me and my family. I give God the glory for keeping me alive.

Doug Key

Comment

While Hunting in a Ground Blind , I went to adjust my chair when it folded up with me in it cutting off Half of my Middle finger, I threw all of those chairs away and now i use a different style chair that can not fold up on me LOL!!!!

Comment

I was climbing down out of a homemade tree stand after an evening hunt. Stepped on the very first 2X4 step and it broke. It was placed between 2 limbs on the tree. I feel backwards 10-12 feet to the ground. I had my bow with quiver full of arrows in my right hand. I remember thinking "get rid of the bow" on the way down, but I just couldn't release my grip on it. I hit the ground flat on my back and on impact the bow and arrows exploded in every direction. I couldn't feel a thing as i laid there. I just knew I had broken my back. It was going to be a long time before anybody would come looking for me. I kept trying to wiggle my toes and finger for the next 10-15 minute all the while thinking that the coyotes would find me before long and my wife would find me half eaten (funny what your mind will conjure up). After a short while I started feeling some pain and tingling in my fingers and toes. Several minutes later I was able to move my fingers and toes and then my arms and legs. I can't tell you the relief i felt that I wasn't paralyzed. Eventually I was able to roll over and stand up. It took me a little while to walk back to my truck. The ride home wasn't pleasant but I did finally make it. I have never been up in a homemade tree stand since.

Comment

Was using Baling wire to attach a light to my feeder. Lost my balance on the ladder, and reached out to catch myself on the feeder leg. Hand hit where I had just tied on the wire and I shoved the wire through my palm. Lost feeling in two fingers for a day. I also earned a visit to the Dr. for some shots, but no lasting damage.

Comment

Before I had a 4 wheeler, I carried the feed, tripod, and feeder in by hand. Talk about a workout. I was carrying a 55 gallon barrel with the lid attached on top of my shoulders, and got tired, and wanted to take a break. When I let the barrel slide off, it caught the side of my head with the lip of the feeder, and cut me. Never seen that amount of blood shooting out of my head before. Took my shirt off, and wrapped it around my head, and sat on the barrel, trying to figure out what to do. No one knew where I was, and I had a manual transmission truck at the time, so I drove myself to Houston, trying to find a minor emergency clinic on my phone, but no luck. 13 staples later, I have a nice scar.
            Attached Files

Comment

Close call #2

My BIL and cousin had just put up a new tower blind. They guide wired in down using barbed wire. I decided to hunt it one morning. I had just gotten glasses for the first time so I wanted to hunt that particular blind so i could see a long ways and try out the new eyeglasses. I remember having a good hunt seeing several young buck and being able to see everything pretty clear. I climbed down and had just started walking away when i hit one of those guide wires. It knocked my head back and my new glasses went flying off. As i reached down to pick them up I felt a little blood starting to trickle down my face. Picking up the glasses I could see a scratch across the lens. The barded wire cut me right above the eyebrow, went across the lens and then cut a 2 inch small cut on my cheek. I am sure if I hadn't had those glasses on I would be blind in my right eye now. God has saved me several time in my life. Thank you Lord !!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                I pulled a tree limb off a mesquite tree one time. It snapped at the right moment and I fell face and neck into a mess of cactus. I murdered about 8 beers in 5 minutes after that. My buddy laughed till he had tears coming out his eyes as he plucked every cactus needle out of me. I still don’t see what was so funny! Haha
                i sat on a cactus once

Comment

Shot a doe down by Benevidez and quartered it up. I realized I hadn't tagged it yet so I get the tag and take my knife to punch a hole it her ear. I'm holding the ear with my left hand and when the knife finally punched thru the cartilage I cut the last section of my first finger to the bone. The guy I hunted with said I needed to go to the hospital. Blood was shooting out like in the movies. I grabbed some paper towels and blue masking tape and slept that night with my hand tied up above my heart. No feeling to this day in that finger tip.

Filling feeder off the top of a cooler in the back of my four wheel drive Titan. Pivot and fall straight off the back of the truck onto the big clods the hogs make under the feeder while holding a 50lb bag of milo. Landed on my back with the milo on my chest. When I woke up I could hardly breathe or move. My back hurt for weeks.

$#it happens quick.

Comment

My bow exploded and I took 55 stitches to the head. That was an event.

Comment

Had a 10 ft. tripod tip over. Fell flat on my .44 mag in a shoulder holster, broke 3 ribs. Still don't know how it tipped over. It was in pine straw.

Comment

Slipped climbing up into a stand and fell out of the oak, landed on my head. No noticeable damage! Dusted my self off and climbed back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                          Shot a doe down by Benevidez and quartered it up. I realized I hadn't tagged it yet so I get the tag and take my knife to punch a hole it her ear. I'm holding the ear with my left hand and when the knife finally punched thru the cartilage I cut the last section of my first finger to the bone. The guy I hunted with said I needed to go to the hospital. Blood was shooting out like in the movies. I grabbed some paper towels and blue masking tape and slept that night with my hand tied up above my heart. No feeling to this day in that finger tip.
                          Have done this a couple of times. Not as bad as yours, but cut it pretty good. I guess I will learn one of these days.

Comment

a PH in Namibia I know shot himself in the quad accidentally with a 30-06. He's lucky he can still walk, missing about 40% of his quad muscle now

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
                              Out at the ranch by myself, I was filling feeders, using a rickety homemade wooden ladder, just 2x4s nailed together, leaned against the barrel. Shifting my weight around lifting a bag of corn, the ladder “accordianed” together, pinching my right foot, and the whole scene fell to the ground. Knocked the feeder over, the slinger broke loose, bent the barrel, and broke two bones in my right foot. Spent the rest of hunting season with a big orthopedic boot and crutches, but apparently my karma was on a good swing, because I ended up taking my biggest buck yet from that same stand just a few weeks later.
                              Good thing that happened a long time ago. Today that might have taken your leg off with bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                                many years ago before everyone had cell phones and we all carried walkie talkies at the lease, i had a bad 4 wheeler accident. We all drove out for the evening hunt and i was going to sit in this blind on a cross fence that had a wasp problem. I took a can of spray and drove up under the blind to spray some nest. I left it running and it was in reverse. I leaned forward i guess and my leg hit the throttle. 4 wheeler had the front wheels turned and before i could get hold of it it flipped me over and pinned me between the barbwire fence and the ground.
                                It was opening day of rifle. I broke my left arm. I radio for help for like 3-4 hours with no response. Somehow muster up enough strength to lift it off me and ride back to camp with one arm. I get there and see dad has already made it back and i immediately lay into him about not answering the radio. He turned it off to avoid spooking any deer.

This was my very first year to have a lease and really start deer hunting, i was not about to leave on opening weekend. Made a camp stint that allowed me to somewhat brace my rifle up and went back to hunting. Went to hospital first thing monday.

BILLY BAD @$$ alert!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X