Granger Lake Archery Hunting 2018-2019 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhushlife View Post
    I read a lot of people talking of no deer being at granger which is a huge load of crap! Now lots of hogs...yes! Does that mean you just walk in and spot them everywhere? No! I went out the past 2 weekends to different units doing some scouting for the winter months of hog hunting and ran into i would say "herds," of deer. I find pretty decent sheds every year and always spook up a nice buck through the winter months and into spring when i spend most my time out there. For the first timers out there i would highly suggest a tree stand, Granger has some massive trees out there that make for a perfect tree stand set up and ground blinds ive seen many out there which could be just as successful, but i would prefer a stand. As far as setting up feeders, cameras, blinds, and stands......ive got my onyx maps loaded with pinpoints of stands and blinds all over that place that people either abandon or just leave up for what i call community use.....just if ya get caught sitting in it, it would only be right to get down and find some where else to go. A lot of people utilize granger for hunting/fishing/photography. Ive been in a stand where 3 people came in to take a hike and get pictures of birds....i mean its public land, they have a right to it just as much as i do. Frustrating yes, but you move on into a better place. I would suggest getting deep into an area where nobody is going to just come stomping in on ya and ruin your spot or hunt. A lot of good places to hunt deer in granger, i put in every year hoping to get drawn cause there will be some tags dropping! ive spent the last 15 years hunting out there and when i hear people say no deer....that just tells me you haven't spent enough time out there. If you are looking for your massive wall hanger...i can't say ive seen one out there, but i have seen alot of nice 8-10pts over the years and the sheds to go with it!

It’d be awesome if those stands and ground blinds had a label “for public use” tag on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
      It’d be awesome if those stands and ground blinds had a label “for public use” tag on them.

Agree.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

what are you trying to say?

Comment

I read a lot of people talking of no deer being at granger which is a huge load of crap! Now lots of hogs...yes! Does that mean you just walk in and spot them everywhere? No! I went out the past 2 weekends to different units doing some scouting for the winter months of hog hunting and ran into i would say "herds," of deer. I find pretty decent sheds every year and always spook up a nice buck through the winter months and into spring when i spend most my time out there. For the first timers out there i would highly suggest a tree stand, Granger has some massive trees out there that make for a perfect tree stand set up and ground blinds ive seen many out there which could be just as successful, but i would prefer a stand. As far as setting up feeders, cameras, blinds, and stands......ive got my onyx maps loaded with pinpoints of stands and blinds all over that place that people either abandon or just leave up for what i call community use.....just if ya get caught sitting in it, it would only be right to get down and find some where else to go. A lot of people utilize granger for hunting/fishing/photography. Ive been in a stand where 3 people came in to take a hike and get pictures of birds....i mean its public land, they have a right to it just as much as i do. Frustrating yes, but you move on into a better place. I would suggest getting deep into an area where nobody is going to just come stomping in on ya and ruin your spot or hunt. A lot of good places to hunt deer in granger, i put in every year hoping to get drawn cause there will be some tags dropping! ive spent the last 15 years hunting out there and when i hear people say no deer....that just tells me you haven't spent enough time out there. If you are looking for your massive wall hanger...i can't say ive seen one out there, but i have seen alot of nice 8-10pts over the years and the sheds to go with it!
          It is BS, one of the reasons they went to almost full season hunting and not just 5 day draw hunts is there are plenty of deer now. Last time I drew there I saw 20 deer in a sit on more than one occasion, my buddy did too and had a shot at a 120 class 8 point.

Comment

what are you trying to say?

You mentioned there are stands and blinds left out for public use, and also that if you’re in either/or and someone comes to that stand then the right thing to do would be to get out. And that’s true. But how does someone know whether it’s a “public use” available setup, or recent setup that’s already got a user to it?
            If this was directed at me. That’s what I’m trying to say. [emoji848]

Comment

Maybe the way i explained it was wrong......what im saying is when you go out there scouting, and you continue to see tree stands, ground blinds, feeders, or even make shift stands that have obviously been set up for awhile and being out there enough to know they have been out there for awhile, ill take it upon myself to sit the stand. I dont look at it as a matter of waiting or looking for whose stand to ask permission to hunt it, BUT if they happen to show up while your hunting i would gladly get down and move on. I brought this up in the Granger hog hunting thread and the people that set stands or blinds up out there are risking their stuff getting stolen as ive had a pig pipe and a cheap pop up blind get stolen out there, but to me i would consider it like an unwritten rule of respect between hunters to not abuse the stands or move them if their not yours. those people take a risk leaving them out there and honestly theres nothing i can do about someone stealing my stuff from out there cause im the one that left it knowing the risk. Just a bummer. there are no designated community stands or anything like that, i just always find them and will utilize them if i get the chance....spread a bag of corn out in that area to help the stand out a little bit. Community of hunters have to learn to respect each other and each others equipment/set ups, especially on public land.

Comment

Maybe the way i explained it was wrong......what im saying is when you go out there scouting, and you continue to see tree stands, ground blinds, feeders, or even make shift stands that have obviously been set up for awhile and being out there enough to know they have been out there for awhile, ill take it upon myself to sit the stand. I dont look at it as a matter of waiting or looking for whose stand to ask permission to hunt it, BUT if they happen to show up while your hunting i would gladly get down and move on. I brought this up in the Granger hog hunting thread and the people that set stands or blinds up out there are risking their stuff getting stolen as ive had a pig pipe and a cheap pop up blind get stolen out there, but to me i would consider it like an unwritten rule of respect between hunters to not abuse the stands or move them if their not yours. those people take a risk leaving them out there and honestly theres nothing i can do about someone stealing my stuff from out there cause im the one that left it knowing the risk. Just a bummer. there are no designated community stands or anything like that, i just always find them and will utilize them if i get the chance....spread a bag of corn out in that area to help the stand out a little bit. Community of hunters have to learn to respect each other and each others equipment/set ups, especially on public land.

Roger that. I misunderstood that point. I plan on taking my own out there, and setting up and taking down. As much of a pain in the rear that's going to be, I'm not close enough geographically to leave it for later use. I may or may not get back out there after the week I have planned to hunt there.
                You're right though, that unwritten rule should be implied and respected. Always someone or somebodies going to do them and say "screw the code".
                Thanks for clearing that up brother[emoji1360]

Comment

No problem, and i cant say alot of people that set up out there long term feel the way i do about it, but really its like how are you going to get upset by leaving a $300 tree stand out there and someone hunting it, rather then stealing it! If ya need info on the deer just DM me and ill help out where i can, im not the deer whisperer but am out there enough to see them. me and my buddy were stalking through one time and literally were hearing a herd of i swear 30+ deer running and it sounded like a light stampede! so you shouldn't have any issue seeing deer, they are literally everywhere. and taking 2 does before your first buck definitely is achievable pretty quick.

Comment

I found a ladder stand and pvc feeder south of the dam this past Saturday. As I was walking around scouting, I walked into the woods near a field and thought to myself, this looks like a great place; turned to my right and hello ladder stand!

Comment

Both of these posts above are encouraging. Sent you a PM earlier. Still getting used to this app so I may have sent it as a forum PM instead of the app DM.

Comment

every spot i feel that is a good spot....generally ya look up and there ya go, a stand already set up!

Comment

The more miles you log the more successful you will be. As this is my first year hunting here in TX and not knowing anything about Granger I plan on being out there every available day/evening between now and Oct 20. It's helping me wrap my head around the terrain and movements.

I'll be back out this weekend to walk more and plan on sticking a pig too!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                            The more miles you log the more successful you will be. As this is my first year hunting here in TX and not knowing anything about Granger I plan on being out there every available day/evening between now and Oct 20. It's helping me wrap my head around the terrain and movements.

I'll be back out this weekend to walk more and plan on sticking a pig too!

If only I had that time. I'm 2+ hours away and don't have much time off to get down before 10/20 unfortunately. First year in public lands and am being hasty honestly speaking. But the itch was strong this year and I finally got around to getting a bow setup. Going to have to rely on weather patterns and goofy pre-rut behavior this year.

Comment

There's no deer at granger...much better places to go hunt so don't waste your time. Don't pay attention to what the experts above say

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                                There's no deer at granger...much better places to go hunt so don't waste your time. Don't pay attention to what the experts above say

I don't have a choice, it's where I drew a permit. 🤷🏻*♂️[emoji28]

Comment

Working...
                                X