No announcement yet.

Serious accident while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not while hunting but driving to the stand flipped my Polaris and broke my friends leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh my first post I stated falls and cuts. Last night stalking corn senderos for pigs and no light for me.

Guess who busted his azzz again? Yep me. Some of you have been very lucky in the situations you were in.

Comment

Winner

[QUOTE=Huntsman27;12997661]I haven't told this story in a long time - Sorry for the long read:

In 1996, on Halloween night, I was in Llano on a company dear lease with 3 other guys preparing for a company deer hunt. We were filling feeders cleaning out blinds, spraying wasps etc.

As Bobby Bare would say- Makes you the winner. Nobody can top this one, that hurts just reading it.

Comment

I almost got killed at deer camp by getting hit across the head repeatedly with a full propane tank 30+ yrs ago.

I was like 9 and accidently fired a shot out of my 223 while emptying the gun before taking it into the camp shack. My grandfather was getting the propane tanks off the truck at the time. Ended up only getting a slap across the head but it could of been ugly.

Comment

A few years ago I was moving a ladder stand in Kansas by myself. got to the top and released the ratchet strap. 2 steps down the ladder twisted away from the tree and the ladder folded. I hit the ground feet first and left knee folded. torn patella tendon that took forever to heal.
            also had a gator gar/hybrid remove a finger nail while bowfishing the trinity river

Comment

I fell 22ft from a tree stand on top of my bow with a quiver full of thunderheads. God was watching over me that day. But no nothing serious other then hypothermia on a goose hunt.

Comment

This isn’t a hunting injury but a fishing injury.

When I was 16 or so I was wade fishing (wet wading in shorts) and was walking across an exposed oyster reef. I stepped on what I thought was a mound but quickly found out that it was completely hollow underneath. The second I put weight in my right leg, my leg dropped about three feet into a hole. On the way down, the oysters cut a baseball-sized hole out of my upper leg. I had to wade about 200 yards back to the boat, as my leg was gushing blood. I yelled out to my dad (who was wading about 100 yards on the other side of the boat) that I cut myself pretty bad and was bleeding all over the boat. His response, “There are some towels under the leaning post. I’m in some fish and will head that way here in a bit.”

After some heavy cleaning at the ER, and 30 stitches, all was repaired.

Comment

Out at the ranch by myself, I was filling feeders, using a rickety homemade wooden ladder, just 2x4s nailed together, leaned against the barrel. Shifting my weight around lifting a bag of corn, the ladder “accordianed” together, pinching my right foot, and the whole scene fell to the ground. Knocked the feeder over, the slinger broke loose, bent the barrel, and broke two bones in my right foot. Spent the rest of hunting season with a big orthopedic boot and crutches, but apparently my karma was on a good swing, because I ended up taking my biggest buck yet from that same stand just a few weeks later.
                  Last edited by TexOddball; 12-09-2017, 11:51 AM. Reason: Details

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
                    Out at the ranch by myself, I was filling feeders, using a rickety homemade wooden ladder, just 2x4s nailed together, leaned against the barrel.
                    I'm ashamed to say I've done this for many years and at times when I was all alone.
                    I think back on it, and I get chills and the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

Comment

Seeing that last post reminded me of one very close call. I leaned a ladder up against a feeder that I did not realize was almost empty. When I got to the top of the ladder with a bag on my shoulder one feeder leg sunk in the mud and tipped away from me. I rode the barrel to the ground. Got away with two broken fingers and some badly bruised ribs

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                        This isn’t a hunting injury but a fishing injury.

When I was 16 or so I was wade fishing (wet wading in shorts) and was walking across an exposed oyster reef. I stepped on what I thought was a mound but quickly found out that it was completely hollow underneath. The second I put weight in my right leg, my leg dropped about three feet into a hole. On the way down, the oysters cut a baseball-sized hole out of my upper leg. I had to wade about 200 yards back to the boat, as my leg was gushing blood. I yelled out to my dad (who was wading about 100 yards on the other side of the boat) that I cut myself pretty bad and was bleeding all over the boat. His response, “There are some towels under the leaning post. I’m in some fish and will head that way here in a bit.”

After some heavy cleaning at the ER, and 30 stitches, all was repaired.
                        Good thing your dad was there. Lol sorry but that made me chuckle.

Comment

Last year while packing out my whitetail, I slipped and had a very close call with an antler tip and my eyeball.
                          This year while packing out my mule deer, I slipped and had a very close call with an antler tip and my eyeball.

Slow learning curve I guess

Comment

Broken ribs. Serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have had multiple almost very bad situations over the years. One that scared the crap out of me and my brother happened back around 1992. We were hunting on a ranch outside of Boerne, the ranch was mostly very steep hills. The tops of the hills had been cleared many years ago, but the sides of the hills were very steep, so they left the dense cedar brush on the sides, too dangerous to get a dozer on the sides of the hills or most of the sides of the hills.

So my brother and I were hunting on the top of one of the tallest hills on the place. I don't remember why, but my brother started running across the top of the hill, towards the side of hill. He was trying to run down the hill, but it was very steep. He was stumbling and slipping going down the hill. That area of the hill was covered with very dense cedar. I almost want to say, my brother saw a huge buck we had been after, that hung out on that hill, but not sure that's what was going on. I do remember he and I hunted that hill for that buck.

So as he was running down the side, there were rocks tumbling along in front of him, making a bunch of noise as they tumbled down the hill. As we were running down the side of the hill, I was trying to figure out, exactly where we were, basically which hill we were running down the side of. The reason being, one of the hills in that area, had a cliff, that dropped off about 400 ft. straight down. Just sheer rock cliff, very beautiful from the valley below. Well as we were running, I saw enough of the surrounding hill sides, to know we were running straight for that cliff. I started yelling at my brother to stop, he kept running. I kept yelling for him to stop, then yelled the **** cliff is right below us. He realized the cliff was below right about the same time I yelled that. He said he was hearing the rocks, clanging along making a lot of noise, then all of the sudden, all of the rock noise quit. He tried to stop, but wound up slipping and sliding down the steep hill side, that was mostly covered with large, flat, loose rocks. He started screaming, I tried to catch up with him and grab him. I slid down the hill, like I was sliding into home plate. I caught him with one hand and grabbed a cedar tree with the other. We finally came to a stop. Had he slid another four feet, he would have gone over the cliff. As we were realizing how close we both came to going over the cliff, rocks kept tumbling or sliding down the hill past us and off of the cliff. We could not hear them hit the bottom. It was pretty scary, once we realized how close to the edge we were. We crawled back up the hill, never went anywhere near that side of the hill again.
                              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-09-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Another almost bad accident, happened years before the last incident. I was about 12 to 13 years old. I and two other kids were riding around in my parents truck on the ranch, we guided on. We had stopped to look at something, don't remember what. But we all got back in the truck, I was driving. I got in the driver's seat, another kid, who was the son of a good friend of ours, got in the back of the truck. He had a Marlin bolt action 22 Mag. Somehow, when he put the butt of the rifle on the floor of the truck and tried to help himself in the truck, the gun went off. The barrel was pointed up and forwards. The muzzle of the gun, was below and behind my head. The muzzle blast burnt the back of my neck and base of my head. I felt my hair get blown upwards, not sure if the bullet went through my hair or just missed my hair. The bullet went through the roof above my head. I took the rifle away from him and found it was still on safety. I think he slammed it down on the floor of the truck with a little force, because he was using the rifle to help pull himself into the truck. Whatever happened scared the crap out of me. After that, no more loaded guns in the trucks.

When my mother found out what had happened she flipped out, we knew that was going to happen, we tried to keep her from finding out. It was kind of hard to hide the bullet hole in the roof of the truck, then trying to explain the bullet hole in the roof of the truck.
                                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-09-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X