No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone draws unit 14 please PM me. I have some good notes to share.

Comment

i am hunting unit 14 on nov 16th thru 18th. Would live some feedback.

Comment

How bout unit 11? My son and I will be there nov 30-dec 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrived at BCNWR about 8:30. Our unit is the southern most unit to be hunted. It has decent elevation change and is made up of limestone rock, junipers, cedars and live oaks. I did notice a stand of white oaks but decided not to approach. The land is similar to Palo pinto, hood and sumervelle counties. Early scouting was disappointing but after a while I figured out their movement patterns. Busted one shooter buck heading back to the truck.

The other units are further north and may have more oaks. I will try to take pictures on my way out. Didn't appear to be rut yet. Density isn't significant. Saw one rub. No scrapes. Identified some beds but didn't appear there was a single area of food.

Comment

I got confused between Balcones and Barton Creek. Sorry
            Last edited by topduarte; 11-07-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

We unfortunately won't be able to make the hunt this weekend. My son's football team is in their playoff run and doing extremely well so he doesn't want to miss the game as this is his last year of Little League Football. He decided to stay and play to help his team instead of hunting. He asked me what I thought about the decision and I told him I think he made the correct one. We will have many more hunting opportunities. Good luck guys I will check back to see what you guys kill!

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' soldier View Post
                We unfortunately won't be able to make the hunt this weekend. My son's football team is in their playoff run and doing extremely well so he doesn't want to miss the game as this is his last year of Little League Football. He decided to stay and play to help his team instead of hunting. He asked me what I thought about the decision and I told him I think he made the correct one. We will have many more hunting opportunities. Good luck guys I will check back to see what you guys kill!
                Good luck with the game. We had that delima as my son's by district playoff game is next Friday. Fortunately they have a bye due to their record. What unit were you in?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                  Good luck with the game. We had that delima as my son's by district playoff game is next Friday. Fortunately they have a bye due to their record. What unit were you in?
                  We were assigned to Unit 8A.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' soldier View Post
                    We were assigned to Unit 8A.
                    Oh, and that's a good spot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                      Oh, and that's a good spot too.
                      I asked if I could transfer and was hoping to help someone out. They said no. No standbys either.

Comment

For those of you that are hunting this weekend, looks like it will start off in the 40s and heat up to the high 60s on Fri and Sat. Sunday looks better with higher lows but lower highs. Cloudy with winds SSW 4-5 MPH. This is all subject to change and is centered in Lago Vista. For the people hunting further north, WU has a station in Bertram that my give closer results. I haven't heard from anyone that hunted the youth weekend. If anyone has reports they would be much appreciated. The south winds are not what I was hoping for since our only approach is from the south. All of our easy access is in the middle of the unit from the south. If we have to go to the east or west boundary it will be a slog to get to our setup point. Moving through those junipers is work and loud. Anyone that hunts the junipers (cedars) regularly and has some pointers would be appreciated as well. These are thick stands and it is hard to pinpoint deer trails through them.

Comment

Leaving tomorrow for this weekend draw. Who else will be there?

Comment

My father and I will be there. We are 7I & 7J (the furthest away from the access point--far Northeast corner of the Unit). We scouted two weeks ago, and roads are relatively friendly, as long as you've got a 4WD with moderate clearance. Didn't see any deer (though we got snorted at hard by an unseen one that sounded like s/he had gotten to within about 10 yards of where we were). Lots and lots of hog sign. Scrapes here and there, but didn't find any that looked particularly active, though I'm sure quite a bit has changed over the past two weeks.

Speaking of, can anyone who resides in the greater Hill Country area confirm rut activity over the past week? I've heard there is quite a lot of chasing going on just north of San Antonio, but was curious if anyone else would be able to chime in as far as that goes.

Comment

My brother and I will be in 3B this weekend. I didn’t get to scout, so I have no idea what to expect.
                              We’ll be the freakishly big guys at orientation if you want to introduce yourself

Comment

Good luck to everyone this weekend . I’m at Laguna Atascosa. Everything is y’all and green here. Bumped a pretty nice buck while trying to find a place to set up. Backed and set up on good trail not to far from road. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X