No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my email: 7J on Nov 16-18. So, am I reading the above messages correctly? We will be allowed to hunt the entire unit, but will be obligated to park at "cone J"?

Comment

Anyone notice that the draw said 5 deer; 2 can be bucks, but the brochure says only one can be a buck? Am I reading it wrong?

Comment

Just got mine as well. We are in 9, which I suspected we would get since there are two of us and my son is under 17.

We are hunting Nov 16-18.

Anyone hunting 9 for the youth hunt, I would appreciate any information you gain. For those who draw 9 after us, we will play it forward if you send me a PM or post a message.
        Last edited by jnd1959; 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
          Anyone notice that the draw said 5 deer; 2 can be bucks, but the brochure says only one can be a buck? Am I reading it wrong?
          I noticed that as well. Will have to clarify with the NWR during our orientation. It is two bucks but one is a spike/unbranched antler if I understand it correctly.

We are in Travis County so I think the antler restrictions apply. Unit 3 spans two counties and my discussion with the NWR we are subject to the regulations where we shoot the animal, not what county the majority of the unit is in.

Comment

Yes they made a mistake. 8A it is. Re-sent the emails out today.

Comment

My son and I got 8A & 8B for Nov 30- Dec 2.

Comment

Originally posted by maxwellllll View Post
                Just got my email: 7J on Nov 16-18. So, am I reading the above messages correctly? We will be allowed to hunt the entire unit, but will be obligated to park at "cone J"?
                That is what I was told when I talked to the Refuge Assistant Manager

Comment

The Federal Game Warden listed on my permit answered my email asking about number of bucks allowed and jnd1959 is correct:
                  “5 deer may be taken if the county allows but with the refuge that means only (1) 3pt or more buck, 1 spike, and the rest will be doe's.“

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                    The Federal Game Warden listed on my permit answered my email asking about number of bucks allowed and jnd1959 is correct:
                    “5 deer may be taken if the county allows but with the refuge that means only (1) 3pt or more buck, 1 spike, and the rest will be doe's.“
                    Wait..what? I got something right. Alert the press.

Thanks for confirming.

Comment

Originally posted by DJames View Post
                      My son and I got 8A & 8B for Nov 30- Dec 2.
                      I'll give you any advice I can, once we complete our hiking trip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishin' soldier View Post
                        I'll give you any advice I can, once we complete our hiking trip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        Much appreciated!

Comment

Area 11 here for Nov 29 - Dec 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to correct my post from above. the NWR is west of I-35 so it appears there are no antler restrictions for Travis county. 5 deer, 2 bucks. When I first saw we had drawn Travis county I was kind of bummed. Now I see that it appears to have the least restrictions I feel better...like I'm going to shoot two massive bucks in two days...one can hope though.

Comment

Area 13, 11/30-12/02 for me this year.

Comment

I got area #4. It appears to be split by Williamson and Travis County. Travis doesn't have antler restrictions so I should be good if I stay on that side?

Comment

Working...
                                X