High Fence Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
    Whats a lie fence guy. Is that the guy that shoots big deer on a HF place but tells everyone he shot it on a LF? [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Even though you mistyped, yes!!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      I guess I should have been more specific with my inquiry.....

I can be more specific in my answer

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        I hunted some small high fence places where it didn't really feel like hunting and I've hunted 20,000+ acre high fence places where you wouldn't even know it had a fence around it. There are lots of factors that affect the quality of hunting and I don’t think there is a magic number for acreage.
        Same thoughts

Comment

High fence= not hunting, no where for them to go. If someone wants to pay the money to kill a high fence deer have at it, just don’t call it hunting.. As far as deer being spooked I’ve seen it both ways, my family got a hf place years ago and when you would drive around they’d just stand there looking at you, now 20 years later they are spooked way easier, funny thing is the only thing that has changed is the hunting stopped when they bought the place. Pretty much they take off what the state says they need to and that’s it for the last 20 years..

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            This seems contradictory...
            Actually, it’s not. We hand corn the area out in front of the house so we and our wives can enjoy watching them, free of any hunting pressure. They get a pass, and slowly, eventually get comfortable eating corn while they watch us. They are still jumpy and will run off if we move too suddenly, but they ease back to eat.

Out away frim the house, it is a different story.

I kid my friend, the owner, that the deer discuss these things at their Lodge Meetings and Conventions, and eventually the deer on the other side of the ranch are going to start visiting this “safe place” with plenty of food on the ground. Then, eventually, he will have no deer on the rest of the ranch. They will be concentrated on the 10 acre no shooting zone in front of the house! 😬

Click image for larger version

Name:	C80E973A-8D48-4AA3-9194-6B7DB95EA5C3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	24633755

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4E0CBF2-803C-4DF1-AE2E-E301B8488217.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	24633756

He is in a safe zone.
            Last edited by Burnadell; 10-18-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

My ex wife’s family has several thousand acres , low fence, in south Texas . Those were the easiest deer I’ve ever hunted. Hunted a 1400 acre HF ranch and it was one of the most challenging hunts I’ve been on.

Comment

High Fence hunting can be very "legit" and VERY "non-legit".. The non-legit give the legit a bad name... You cannot lump all high fenced ranches under the same umbrella.. Some of the toughest and easiest hunting can be done behind high fences...
                High fences have their place..

Comment

The problem is that HF hunting has gotten a bad rap from outfitters that buy these pen raised animals (exotic and WT) and release them into a specific fenced off pasture for a client a day or 2 before they show up, you know, the "canned hunts" that used to be all over the internet. Legitimate HF leases are usually a lot harder to hunt than realized.

I hunt HF and you can drive the place and not see a soul until later in the day and then they are very aware that you are there.

Comment

The deer on the King Ranch & Kennedy Ranch area are the tamest deer I have been around. You can literally walk up to bow range w them & they don't spook or blow when they smell you.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      My ex wife’s family has several thousand acres , low fence, in south Texas . Those were the easiest deer I’ve ever hunted. Hunted a 1400 acre HF ranch and it was one of the most challenging hunts I’ve been on.

You’re never supposed to put “ex” along with several thousand acres in south Texas. Dang man

Comment

This dead horse has more lives than an East Texas black cat

Comment

High fences restrict the movement of deer. If that statement weren't true, why would anyone put one up?

With that said, I don't really care. I think hunting behind a HF is just as legitimate and challenging as hunting a low fence property.

The primary difference in my mind is on low fence properties, you might pass on a deer or miss an opportunity on a good deer that ends up getting shot by the neighbors. You don't have to worry about the neighbors behind a high fence and even passing on marginal deer is less worrisome knowing that.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                            High fence= not hunting, no where for them to go. If someone wants to pay the money to kill a high fence deer have at it, just don’t call it hunting.. As far as deer being spooked I’ve seen it both ways, my family got a hf place years ago and when you would drive around they’d just stand there looking at you, now 20 years later they are spooked way easier, funny thing is the only thing that has changed is the hunting stopped when they bought the place. Pretty much they take off what the state says they need to and that’s it for the last 20 years..
                            About 65% of the deer hunters in the US would say nobody in Texas is "hunting" when they sit on a feeder. Call it cheating and judge their fellow outdoorsman based on biases they've made up for themselves and defend that position vehemently.
                            For me it's the long range shooters. Rifle or bow. But that doesn't make my opinion right or wrong.
                            Kinda like yours.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm good with either way (except the kick and pops) but I do have to laugh at the folks that hunt on small acreage surrounded by others that hunt small acreage jammed packed with hunters, or 25-30 hunters on 1500 acres of timberland that say that deer on 1500-5000 acre high fence ranches have no place to go and is not hunting. That just cracks me the F up.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                About 65% of the deer hunters in the US would say nobody in Texas is "hunting" when they sit on a feeder. Call it cheating and judge their fellow outdoorsman based on biases they've made up for themselves and defend that position vehemently.
                                For me it's the long range shooters. Rifle or bow. But that doesn't make my opinion right or wrong.
                                Kinda like yours.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                I feel like the difference in our opinions is if it’s HF they are in a cage, they can’t leave. Eventually your going to see them.. there is no escape.. at 800 yards you didn’t get to 20 yards but you he did have the choice to get a mile away..

Comment

Working...
                                X