Kids vacation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids vacation help

I have been talking to some TBH's about this , and have read some past threads which have me trying to decide where I want to go.

I'm trying to plan a trip with my my wife, and two kids, 6 and 3. Wanting to leave the day after Christmas, possibly the 27th and staying 5-7 days.

I have Colorado, New Mexico, and Tennessee on my list but just trying to pick the best one for the kids at this time of year.

Will be flying out of Houston.

Help Needed !!!!!

Thanks,

We stayed in Cloudcroft, NM last year during the same time and everyone loved it.

Comment

Flights to Denver are cheap or at least we found some that were so you might take that into consideration.

Comment

Ok, thanks bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged on this one.

Comment

Do you have link to the past threads?

Comment

I am up in the air on these travel dates. I know it is what works with the kids but in the past 3 years, it sure seems like destinations are getting busier each year. I think that once the election is over, travel restrictions will be laxed and people are ready to get out and go places.

I think we may try to road trip it this year and hit some spots like Big Bend and other Central/West Texas places.

We love Disney but it has been a zoo the last few years. I am sure it will be this year too.

Comment

We did a Christmas trip to Colorado a few years ago. As said before, cheap flights to Denver. We went to Silverthorne and hung out, played in the snow, etc.

We went to Pigeon Forge a few summers ago and spent a week in the Smokies. I am not sure how this area is during the winter, but we played in the mountain springs, hiked the trails in the park, etc. and had an absolute blast.

These are the two trips are the ones our kids talk most about. We go to the beach every summer and they like it, but Colorado and the Smokies left a lasting impression on them.

I figure there is really no wrong answer here. The kids will love it regardless where you go.

Comment

Flying limits your NM options. Once you are in Albuquerque, it’s over 3 hours to Angel Fire or Pagosa. Makes for long travel days in winter. Denver would give you the best access to mountains, snow and good resorts.

We did a post Christmas trip to Ruidoso when our kids were young (a bit older than what yours are). It snowed every day and remains one our most memorable vacations. We stayed in a cabin in the upper canyon. Kids sledded out the door. We burned a cord of firewood, sledded and tubed, did a sleigh ride and drove around looking at Xmas lights. We were really lucky. I’m not sure it’s snows at Christmas since up there.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Up

Comment

Might of mentioned it on the green screen before, but the very affordable Amtrak train from Denver to Grand Junction through the mountains and crossing the continental divide and back to Denver is spectacular in the winter.
                        Observation car, Dining car, Tunnels galore, Wildlife, Waterfalls, For much of the trip the railroad does not follow the highway and is a backcountry adventure with amenities. leaves in the AM 8 hours to Grand Junction, spent the night, and back to Denver the next day. Then Pikes Peak cog railway to the top, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge, Seven Falls. Spend a day in Silverthorne, they have a awesome tubing hill nearby and a cool very inexpensive indoor mini-Schlitterbahn at the Rec Center.
                        Get one of these snowball makers for the kids when you get in the mountains. Making snowballs is not fun but throwing them is. My grandkids use the heck out of them. https://www.amazon.com/Paricon-Snowb.../dp/B000FJ4AD4

Lots of stuff to do within a few hours of Denver
                        Fly in and get a rentcar.
                        Tex
                        Last edited by texasair; 10-17-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

We stayed in a cabin in pagosa springs last year for Christmas. Our 3 year old thinks Christmas is spent in Colorado where the grinch lives every year. We are heading to frisco this year for Christmas. Having a white Christmas is the greatest memory, well worth it.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

If you are set on Colorado you might look into Steamboat Springs. It's a few hours from Denver but has some great stuff for the family.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X