Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard bed cap vs soft

Any recommendations on which one?

I like the hard top but the storing if I take off and having to have several ppl to take it off have me leaning toward soft. I like the security of the hard but really if someone wants in they are going to get into either one. Locked vehicles get broken into daily.

So those of you who have either one do you wish you would have gone with the other? Pro cons? Thanks in advance.

**talking about like a camper topper vs soft topper**
    Last edited by Knox; 09-11-2019, 10:37 AM.

My buddy was just telling me what a pain it was to remove his hard cap to haul his 4 wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a trifold hard cover. It isn't fiberglass, but rated to hold at least 300lbs. I love it. To take it off takes about 60 seconds. Two large wing nuts and it is loose.

Comment

Bakflip Revolver. Best of both worlds with a metal frame and then covered with vinyl. Security of the hard cover, but yet it rolls up out of the way and easy to take off if you do need to. I had a couple of the folding ones and they ended up falling apart. Definitely would never go that route again.

Comment

A buddy of mine had a retractable bed cover that was metal (assume aluminum), seemed like the best of both worlds.

Comment

I had a soft cover. It was good, kept the water and wind out. Just didn't store near enough for long trips, and couldn't be used for camping. Ended up going to a full on topper. Works way better for truck camping, and I don't haul a 4 wheeler. And if I did, probably would just get a trailer.

Comment

I have a hard trifold. It opens from front or back. If you have a below the bed rails tool box you can access it easily. It trifolds and lifts right off, no screws or anything. takes a minute or less. it is rated to support 300 lbs on top of it. I love it and would not have another brand

Comment

I like my soft tri-fold just fine

Comment

I had this one on my last truck for 4 years, hard to beat it for the price.

Comment

And sorry guys I’m not talking about a flat one I’m talking about like a camper shell one.

Comment

I went with an Undercover hard lid and I love it. I have 2 buddies with the flip fold style and they both get water in their beds, not much but just enough to be a PITA. I can take mine off or on in less than a minute and it only weighs about 50#. I could easily do it by myself if needed. It was a good bit cheaper as well than the flip fold.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by Knox View Post
                          Ttt
                          I have a fiberglass topper. The option I like best is side windows that open (windoors) because they're hinged at the top. Also a tip down front glass is nice for keeping the the glass clean on the truck and the camper. I also prefer the ones with a flat rear glass because it can be replaced cheaply with a piece of plywood or plexiglass in a pinch.

Soft would be easier to remove vs hard shell, but not as durable.

Read some other forums, a lot of folks seem to like the soft ones too. They're versatile. Canback and Softtopper are the more common brands. A used hard shell is probably cheaper though.

I emphasize the windoors because what you want to get out of the bed will most likely slide up to the cab, or get loaded up there. They save you the trouble of unloading or climbing over the other stuff in the bed to get to the front.
                          Last edited by bigchiefj; 09-11-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I have one truck with a hard top and one with the foldable canvas. The canvas one is nice in that you can remove it very easily, or it folds forward if you want to haul something taller than a regular topper would allow. Both are equally waterproof. The hard topper does have the option to use a roof rack, which I have done. I also have lighting installed on the hard topper. Can't do that with a Softopper. Softopper cost way less.

If I am going fishing Softopper, if work, hard top. I carry expensive gear for work sometimes.
                            So both have some advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

I love my Roll-N-Lock ... pricy but worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X