No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a dandy white. Were you using a sink tip or sinking line? What fly were you using?

Comment

I picked up the habit a few years ago. Still learning!

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
        That's a dandy white. Were you using a sink tip or sinking line? What fly were you using?
        yes teeny 200 sink tip with a chartreuse clouser

Comment

A few from Henry's Lake, Idaho a few years ago. They allow you to keep 4, and, yes, I wanted to eat some!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	24366131

Name:	IMG_2409.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	24366132

Name:	IMG_2416.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	24366133

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	24366134

Comment

Brown from New Zealand last year.

Name:	NZBrown.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	24366135

Name:	NZ7.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	24366136

Ride on an old steamer...

Name:	NZSteamer.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	24366137

Comment

Started fly fishing in Drayton Valley, Alberta between the Saskatchawan and Pembina Rivers in 1958. Have fly fished in Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Idaho, Utah, Washington, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Turkey and Italy.

Braunig and Calaveras fly boxes. Tying Briminators today after I separate Racoon underfur (dubbing) from the hair. Caught him under the porch. LOL
              Attached Files
              Last edited by holdem; 02-22-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

In the next few days I'll post my 9 wt custom fly rod build in the DIY section.

Blank is a 9 foot, 2 Piece, MHX High Modulus graphite blank. The blank weighs in at 2.3 grams, 4.5 tip with a .378" butt. Opted to go 2 piece for strength, feel and smooth blank recovery.

Guides will be American Tackle Titanium single foot guides (dual foot at stripper and first guide up from reel seat). Tip will a Fuji SIC Titanium. Single foot ring guides will allow the blank to flex smoothly without the additional stiffening factor found, when wrapping the forward guide foot down using traditional snake guides. These TI guides are super light and extremely strong - saltwater proof as well as braid proof (backing).

The reel seat is an American Tackle, thread up Aluminum Braided window reel seat, with a burled rose wood insert.

Grip is a Portuguese cork Half Wells

This rod will be built to fish my Galvan Rush Lite fly reel - backed with 250 yards of 20lb braid on various 9 wt floating and sinking lines. I have 3 spools for the Glavan and my thought is, this rod will cover coastal winds, jetty and PINS surf opportunities a bit better than my 8 wt TFO BVK.

The 8 wt TFO BVK is fishing with a Ross 8 wt reel and I'll have my son on this fly stick, as we chase our coastal addictions.

As it is with all custom rod builds, the color selection is the toughest decision to make. So I'll theme it much like this casting blank's colors.
                Last edited by AtTheWall; 03-02-2015, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Cool! Can't wait to see your project, Rob. I use single foot guides too. They keep the line off the blank a little better, which I think helps shoot line a little further. And it makes for half the work in wrapping thread too.

Comment

I was bit by the fly fishing bug about 15 years ago. I fly fish Colorado, Oklahoma and Arkansas when I get a chance and I cast a fly to the sand bass in Rowlett creek when they are running. The picture below is me in the Big Thompson River in Colorado.
                    Attached Files

Comment

DIY Fly rod build up as build phase Uno!

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                        DIY Fly rod build up as build phase Uno!
                        Looking forward to that. Let me know when your ready to start taking orders!

Comment

its my favorite way to fish

Comment

great thread. Surprised I never noticed it until now. Count me as a TBH fly fisherman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                              I was bit by the fly fishing bug about 15 years ago. I fly fish Colorado, Oklahoma and Arkansas when I get a chance and I cast a fly to the sand bass in Rowlett creek when they are running. The picture below is me in the Big Thompson River in Colorado.
                              This is why I love throwing flies. The unique experiences that accompany getting into secluded waters are one in a million

Comment

My buddy Rob Anderson has been on a role the past few weeks on Pyramid Lake. They have been catching alot of 10-15lb cutthroats. Pyramid Lake is probably your best bet at catching a 10+ lb trout, the average fish will typically break most people personal best trout. . Pyramid is just a short drive from Reno, NV. Rob is one of the leading guides up there and will put you on some big fish.

I caught this opne with Rob a few years ago, just shy of 12lbs
                                Full Story and Pics HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X