Rv fridge swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rv fridge swap

Anyone ever swap an rv fridge with a residential apartment size one? If so what size and brand fit best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last camper had one. Couldn't tell u the size or brand to save me. It did require a trim job to make it fit and look right

Comment

I did one on my last camper. Built an insert into the existing cabinet and when I was done, you couldn’t tell it didn’t come from the factory that way. I don’t remember the size or brand though.

Comment

Lowes or Home Depot has a small RV size fridge that fits but requires a little bit of trim and fitting in place.

Comment

I did mine in my motor home. Hardest part was getting the heavy rv fridge out the door. Just get your measurements and find the best fit. Plan for how you will secure it and how to close the vent to the outside.

Comment

Home Depot house brand replaced original in my trailer. I got lucky and it fit opening with just a little trim work and brackets to secure it. As mentioned, it's important to seal vent. I took outside cover off and sealed with foil tape.

Comment

Any of you guys happen to have any pictures!!! I’ve seen some YouTube videos but I rather believe you guys

Comment

Had the LP/110V/12V fridge go out in a trailer one time, ($1100 to replace) and bought a <$150 compact to put back in it with no regerts.

Comment

We just replaced the original RV fridge with a SS compact from Lowes this past October for less than $200. It has a freezer on top, just like a full size and really just as much room as the original. Our's is a lease camper so did not worry about the trim on top, about 2" shorter than the original. The RV fridge was over $900 to replace, crazy.

Comment

helped a buddy do it in his RV years ago. We had to take one of the windows out to get the old fridge out, new one in. As said above, look for apartment size, then plan for vent / closing.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                      I did mine in my motor home. Hardest part was getting the heavy rv fridge out the door. Just get your measurements and find the best fit. Plan for how you will secure it and how to close the vent to the outside.
                      Did the exact same thing as well and this is spot on.

Little trim work after install and no one will ever know it wasn’t factory installed.

Comment

Is it necessary to close the vent permanently or could I just cut a piece of insulation and plywood and attach it to the cover that swings open from the outside? How bout the roof vent?

Comment

I bought one from Sams that’s been great.

Comment

If you have a 8 cu ft RV fridge, you can generally find a nice double door unit that fits nicely with little to no trimming. If you happen to have the 6 cu ft RV fridge, you choice of size really shrinks and generally requires a lot of trimming out. You can close off lower & upper vent if you want. I geneally just take a piece of cardboard and cover the vents. You will need a 3/8 Flare plug to cap the LP line, and just tape up the 12V wires.

I have actually got a few 10cu ft fridges into the 8 cu ft spots

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                              Is it necessary to close the vent permanently or could I just cut a piece of insulation and plywood and attach it to the cover that swings open from the outside? How bout the roof vent?

You don't need a vent if you replace with a standard electric fridge. Tape it up to prevent wasps, bees from entering. If you hate getting buzzed by the stingers you should cover every access point on your RV! Cost me some $$ this fall to get a hive out of our RV bathroom from an external water source that tied into the bathroom water lines. We have also had problems with wasps in the RV until my son taped up the external vents for the RV fridge we replaced. Have not had any "stingers" since October. Nice....especially when one is allergic to bees and wasps!

Comment

Working...
                              X