No announcement yet.

AJ Hinch suspended for entire season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if they had someone in the stands with binoculars it would be fine? Is the camera what makes it a no go? What if the second baseman sees the sign and signals the batter? While they attempt to make the sign discretely, it is done in view of others. Just trying to understand the situation here

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
      So if they had someone in the stands with binoculars it would be fine? Is the camera what makes it a no go? What if the second baseman sees the sign and signals the batter? While they attempt to make the sign discretely, it is done in view of others. Just trying to understand the situation here
      The opponents 2nd baseman ???

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
        The opponents 2nd baseman ???
        Ok fair point. I feel dumb- what if we have a runner on second was where my mind is. Point being other folks can see the sign. Trying to learn the rule that was broken here.

Comment

Seems like the harsh discipline handed down by MLB is more about an attempt to keep it (sign stealing) from spinning out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by DeerMagnet View Post
            Fired
            Yep.

The Astros were accused of illegally stealing signs during their 2017 championship season. Here's who is being punished and how.

Comment

I don't remember how long ago it was (2-3 years maybe?) but the league was definitely worried about sign stealing via new electronic/video technology. They put out a statement to all teams that high tech cheating would be dealt with harshly. Sign stealing the old fashion way - by runners on base - is still just considered part of the game.

Comment

If you can steal and distinguish the sign with your eyes at 100+’ and signal the batter who’s locked on pitch about to have ball thrown +\- 100mph in the next 2 seconds... I got no problem with it

Comment

Ok fair point. I feel dumb- what if we have a runner on second was where my mind is. Point being other folks can see the sign. Trying to learn the rule that was broken here.
                  The major issue is that someone with the Astros deliberately went out of their way to intentionally setup a live feed camera to always 100% of the time see the sign given by the catcher and that live feed was sent to a monitor in the hallway dugout and an Astros person would audibly send a signal by banging on a trashcan to relay what pitch was coming to the Astros batter.

Comment

My question is who decides placement of the cameras? Who though a camera directly facing home zoomed in so much you can see the catchers hand was a good idea?

What’s that old adage if ya ain’t cheating ya ain’t trying? Lol. That’s pro sports for ya I guess. Smh

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      I don't remember how long ago it was (2-3 years maybe?) but the league was definitely worried about sign stealing via new electronic/video technology. They put out a statement to all teams that high tech cheating would be dealt with harshly. Sign stealing the old fashion way - by runners on base - is still just considered part of the game.
                      That was 2017 when NY and Boston were both caught using technology to cheat. Apparently it only was worthy of a slap on the wrist then because of said parties. Now it is like someone beat up someone's Grandma.

Oh well, I always have said if you are going to break the rules or the law be prepared to pay the consequences. The Astros are paying big time for their indiscretion.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        My question is who decides placement of the cameras? Who though a camera directly facing home zoomed in so much you can see the catchers hand was a good idea?

What’s that old adage if ya ain’t cheating ya ain’t trying? Lol. That’s pro sports for ya I guess. Smh

Sierracharlie out…
                        It wasn’t a network camera feed.
                        It was a separate live feed camera setup just to cheat.

Comment

Do you think Nolan bolted when he found out about it or because he realized the scheme was about to be exposed?

Comment

well that should free up some money anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
                              It wasn’t a network camera feed.
                              It was a separate live feed camera setup just to cheat.

Ahhhhhh that makes more sense. Although I did see some network cameras that were showing the same thing. Then after the accusations came that view went away.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                Do you think Nolan bolted when he found out about it or because he realized the scheme was about to be exposed?
                                Didn't they demote his son in favor of the owner's son? I thought that was why he left.

Comment

Working...
                                X