Jacksboro Hunting Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacksboro Hunting Area

I lucked into 200 acres to hunt just five miles outside of Jacksboro. What is to be expected of the quality of deer in this area? I have hunted North of there in Archer City for the last 8 years and will stay on as long as the owner is alive. We pass some really good deer in hopes our neighbors don’t see them to let them get older and bigger. Is this going to be similar to Archer county or is there more pressure and an average of smaller bucks? Any and all input isn’t greatly appreciated. Going to check out the property tomorrow between hunts in Archer and see how I’m wanting to set it up.

hunting in newcastle, only have seen pigs so far

Comment

I was on a lease a few miles outside of Jacksboro on 59 for a few years and had some really good bucks on camera my avitar pic is one of them. Never saw one of them while on stand it was like they knew when season started. We did have a lot of pigs and shot quite a few of them. I really liked the area and wouldn’t hesitate to get back on a lease there.
      Last edited by Bullfrog90; 11-08-2018, 05:06 PM. Reason: Spell check

Comment

I’m assuming I will have to pen the feeder in right away. Plan is to throw out a rifle blind and one corn feeder for this season.

Comment

Which direction out of Jacksboro?

Comment

These are the smaller ones at our place.

Comment

THE property from what I understand is off of 2190 and shown rd, looks pretty open with some decent cover in the bottom corners

Comment

These are from the Loving/Jermyn area.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good place to hunt!

Comment

I’m pumped to check it out tomorrow, gonna take the 5x7 atascosa from the house and got permission from the ole lady to get a new feeder so probably going with a Ranch King 1000lb low and throw. Christmas came early for me

Comment

The place hunts a little weird but I saw a buck cruising thru in one of the corners I figured would be good. Found a rub and two big trails on the other corner. I’m going to bring the 4 wheeler out on Sunday to get a better look. I can already tell I want to setup in the SW corner of the property but you have to cross a creek that is currently 2-3ft deep at the crossing. Might just set the rifle blind on a bluff in the middle facing west that over looks the heavily wooded creek that runs through the property. Also, I could tell pigs have been in there but two sides of the property were fenced off with no climb. I’m just assuming but I’m betting that creek will be my best but at seeing some big mature deer come through. Anyone else close to this area?

Comment

I got a couple cameras out and some hand corn. I saw a great buck I probably should have shot but figured I would wait on pictures to get an idea of what’s around. I got across the creek and found where to setup. I saw a sounder on the very NW end that ended up crossing to the neighbors. Saw a doe, a loan boar and then that nice buck. He was a main frame 8 with a split g2 probably 16-17” wide and pretty good mass. He had a broken brow. I was on the atv going through the thick stuff when we saw each other at about 30-40yds. It was great to see the animals and find such a great spot to setup. Now I just need to get back from my trip to CO this week and get a feeder and stand out.

Comment

I had 2 different properties N. and S. of Jacksborro. The property N. was awesome and consistent. The property S. was hit or miss. Mass crop of acorns made feeder hunting a challenge. This year seems to be a bumper crop of acorns. So hit the oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                            I had 2 different properties N. and S. of Jacksborro. The property N. was awesome and consistent. The property S. was hit or miss. Mass crop of acorns made feeder hunting a challenge. This year seems to be a bumper crop of acorns. So hit the oaks.
                            I found a really thick spot where I can setup just on th edge and stay out of the cover and there are some huge oaks on this place. I found a spot where I’ll put a ladder stand. Looks promising so far. I’m pumped about having a new place.

Comment

Lots of deer in the area, it is not really known for big deer but there are some in the area. The pigs seem to be everywhere in those creek bottoms all of the time. There has been a poaching problem going on for the last month or so, I would keep my eyes open and cameras running. Every once in a while a black buck or aoudad wanders thru the area.

Comment

Working...
                              X