No announcement yet.

Alaska Bear Defense Pistol Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of the two you list I would probably go with the 10 mm with hard cast 220 grain bullets. But having been up-close and personal with a grizzly and having seen one in full charge (fortunately the charge was at a caribou and not me) I want more power. I would opt for a Ruger Redhawk with 5 1/2" barrel in .44 mag, with a hardcast 300 grain bullet. For a holster I would go with a Simply Rugged holster and Chesty Puller Suspension System. https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...160&parent=672 Personally, if I go back I'll carry my 6 1/2 barrel Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull loaded with heavy hardcast bullets.

If a bear charges you, it's probably going to come from short range and you're only going to get off 1 or 2 shots so the high capacity of the auto is not going to be a big advantage. I want to hit that bear as hard as I can with that 1 or 2 shots.

Comment

If you are going to have baby formula I presume a baby will be in on he trip. Take a shotgun with slugs in it.
      Last edited by Pedernal; 05-29-2018, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Having lived in Alaska for eighteen years I can tell you the calibers of choice for residence are 44mag and 454 Casull.

Comment

The one you can make a head shot with. Cause you're not knocking a bear off his feet with a pistol any other way.
          Even a s&w 50 can barely match the same energy as a 308 with 700 grains of lead, and shooting it is awful

Comment

Originally posted by OKBOWHUNTER View Post
            Having lived in Alaska for eighteen years I can tell you the calibers of choice for residence are 44mag and 454 Casull.
            I’d take this guys advice.

Comment

since bears can be from large to very large,,, no way i would consider anything as light as a 357,, or weak as a .40,,,, i am not bashing either round but they are not up to the task,,,, the lightest i would go would be 10mm with heavy loads,,, 44 would be better yet and the 454 would still be better,,, but you need to be able to handle any of them very well and get fast follow up shots,,, which may rule the 454 out,, kinda depends on your ablity

Comment

Alaska Bear Defense Pistol Help

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                since bears can be from large to very large,,, no way i would consider anything as light as a 357,, or weak as a .40,,,, i am not bashing either round but they are not up to the task,,,, the lightest i would go would be 10mm with heavy loads,,, 44 would be better yet and the 454 would still be better,,, but you need to be able to handle any of them very well and get fast follow up shots,,, which may rule the 454 out,, kinda depends on your ablity

I definitely agree on 44 mag or even better 454 Casull but some folks can’t shoot those well. I have a Glock 20 in 10mm and I would carry it as a backup with 220 grain hard cast loads that I mentioned but my 454 Casull would be much preferred.

Btw the Glock 20/40 are both 10mm guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tourist: What should I look for when I am hiking in bear country?
                  Native: Carry a bell that makes noise and look for scat. Black bear scat will have berry seeds and such in it.
                  Tourist: What is in the Grizzly scat?
                  Native: Bells...

Comment

Originally posted by HelmCrusher View Post
                    While looking for 10mm pistols I came across the Witness and it is a potential buyer for me just need to put my hands on it first. Thank you for your input.
                    Absloutely. The Underwood ammo is also a great choice as another member suggested. They load the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator for the 10mm and it is a pretty incredible combination.

I watched a video of a guy testing the above ammo in 9mm on a black bear skull from a recent kill. The Extreme Penetrator zipped right through from multiple angles. I am not suggesting you carry a 9, but it seems like I remember a guide dispatching a charging grizzly with one last year with the Lehigh rounds.

I also agree that a shotgun with slugs or a short lever gun in 45-70 would be superior to any handgun, but a long gun is not always practical.

Additionally, with the Witness, all follow up shots are single action with a pretty good trigger pull which should improve your accuracy.

Weigh all the factors and probable risks and equip accordingly.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advise. The reason I am deciding between the .357 and the 10mm is I already own the .357. On the 10mm I've talked to people who currently live on the Kenai who talk to the rangers and conservation officers. They all carry 10mm. They say its for the better control of the gun = more rounds fired off. Also lighter to carry around. I originally thought about getting the .44mag or bigger, I'm not saying that a .44mag or bigger wouldn't do the job just considering the new info I have gotten. I would carry a 12ga but I think it would be difficult to comfortably hike/fish and be able to quickly put the gun on target and get a round off. I could be wrong and over thinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmCrusher View Post
                        Thanks everyone for the great advise. The reason I am deciding between the .357 and the 10mm is I already own the .357. On the 10mm I've talked to people who currently live on the Kenai who talk to the rangers and conservation officers. They all carry 10mm. They say its for the better control of the gun = more rounds fired off. Also lighter to carry around. I originally thought about getting the .44mag or bigger, I'm not saying that a .44mag or bigger wouldn't do the job just considering the new info I have gotten. I would carry a 12ga but I think it would be difficult to comfortably hike/fish and be able to quickly put the gun on target and get a round off. I could be wrong and over thinking it.
                        Just curious, do the Rangers/Officers carry the 10 mm strictly for bear protection or is it to have one weapon that deals better against both two legged and four legged threats??

There are many slings that allow to both comfortably carry a long arm and get on target quick. It's all a matter of finding the right one for you and practicing/training with it just like any weapon-holster system.

Best advice most can give is become comfortable and proficient with whatever you decide to carry/take.

And most of all, enjoy your vacation with your family...

Comment

.44 Mag. Are you sleeping in a tent? If so better bring a bear warning system! Sleep with one eye open!

Comment

I was up there 20 years ago, and I got laughed at when people saw my .357. Most people had a .44 or bigger, and used a chest holster to carry. The guy I fished with had a sawed off 12 on a sling. Looked rather goofy trying to flyfish with a shotgun, but was glad we had it when we saw a mamma and cubs.

There were only brown bears where we were, apparently they had eaten all of the black ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                              I’d just take someone that couldn’t run as fast as me. Problem solved
                              And a cheap .22 to ensure their slow speeds

I don’t have much onsite for the pistol recommendation, I do have a Taurus Tracker 6” 357 that is marketed as a “guide gun”. It is ported for supposedly better follow up shots without the muzzle jump. It’s a loud sob. Not a bad gun if Taurus doesn’t put a bad taste in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                                Just curious, do the Rangers/Officers carry the 10 mm strictly for bear protection or is it to have one weapon that deals better against both two legged and four legged threats??

There are many slings that allow to both comfortably carry a long arm and get on target quick. It's all a matter of finding the right one for you and practicing/training with it just like any weapon-holster system.

Best advice most can give is become comfortable and proficient with whatever you decide to carry/take.

And most of all, enjoy your vacation with your family...
                                Thank you. I am very comfortable carrying a pistol around but not so much with the shot gun. I would have to practice and train with it, hopefully enough time before I go. As far as the 10mm goes I do not know, I am about to call the local AK game wardens and talk to them myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X