Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The cooler weather turned the red deer hunting red hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cooler weather turned the red deer hunting red hot!

About a month ago my son and I did a live hunt on here. Well the live hunt jinx got me. My son killed a big boar, but my quest for a red stag came up empty. It was a very hot weekend last time. I was in a ground blind one evening and it had to be 120 degrees inside it. Best I could do that weekend was see a yearling in bow range.

Yesterday the cold front came at just the right time. We drove through rain all the way there Friday. The rain ended, and we headed to our stands. The north wind was still blowing strong, and unfortunately for me a couple of deer approached me from the south. They winded me, and slipped into the woods never to be seen again.

This morning was my 6th attempt (I think) to get one with a bow. Both trips I had a 7 mag with me, but I just didn't want to use it. I was in a tree stand as daylight started making the darkness disappear. I could see a young stag to the north headed towards a feeder in front of me. He came on in, and milled around waiting for the feeder to go off. At about 7:00am I noticed movement to the south of me. I slowly looked, and saw a very nice stag heading my direction. With the wind still blowing from me to him I knew it was a matter of time before he bolted. I didn't move a muscle, and tried not to even breathe

As luck would have it, the big stag came on in, and started sparring with the smaller one. With his attention not on me, I was able to draw back and send an arrow right into his left shoulder. The 2" rage Hypodermic did the job. It entered the shoulder, and caught the bottom of the spine also. This dropped the stag in its tracks!

I was so happy to be able to get this awesome animal with my bow. After the hunt, the ranch owner, Jay Corley, told me no one had ever killed a stag on his ranch with a bow. He said guys have tried, but I was the first one to actually do it. That made me feel really proud of the hunt. There's just nothing like taking an animal with a bow. Good luck to everyone slinging arrows this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-12-2019, 03:50 PM.

Awesome animal and on my bucket list. Congratulations! Good eating I’ve heard also.

Comment

What a bute!!! Congrats!!!!

Comment

WOW Jeff that's a BIGGUN!! Congratulations to you sir! What a beautiful animal!

Comment

Congratulations Jeff. Would you give me just one of those back straps. I've never had one and didn't want to seem greedy and ask for both.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            Congratulations Jeff. Would you give me just one of those back straps. I've never had one and didn't want to seem greedy and ask for both.

Lol. Those suckers are huge!

Comment

I bet they are

Comment

Very nice...............

Comment

Man that's a Hoss!!! Congrats, Jeff!

Comment

Awesome stag!!!!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Got dang son you are a super star! EHB would be so proud!..

Helluva bow kill! Congrats!

Comment

Dang the head on that thing!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! That’s awesome!

Comment

So awesome, congrats on a beautiful Red Stag!

Comment

Well done

Comment

Working...
                              X