Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reasons NOT to build a 260 Rem for my daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build it.
    Between me and my 2 boys we have 2 Rem 260's, 2 6.5 Creedmoor, 5 Win 243's. We do a lot of long range shooting out to about 600 yards filling MLD tags.

All three cal will kill cleanly at long range but the Rem 260 is the best, with its larger case capacity mine is shooting 206 fps faster than the creedmoor

If she is recoil sensitive, you might consider a heavier bbl, reduced loads or a can.
    My ears have rang 24/7 for the last 15 years so if it was my kid I'd say away from breaks

Comment

I was going to get a #4 contour or possibly a #5. @ 24". Should have some heft. Also bedding the thing in a Boyd's laminated stock, so more weight.
      I expect it will be used for 90%+ stand hunting or bench/prone shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by dbelcher269 View Post
        Silly question that may have already been answered but I didn’t read all the comments. If she shoots a .243 and likes the .243 why not just stick with a .243?
        I want to get her something stouter. A .260 can shoot up to 150gr (I believe) bullets. A 243 cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Then go AI and get better performance with near same mild recoil
          How much better? I don't want to complicate things too much.

Comment

Based on your repeated recoil comments, I'd strongly consider the 65 Creed. Most of the effective range of a 260 with less recoil. Has excellent factory options and is very easy to load for.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why I didn't do this right away I don't know, but I just looked at the Chuck Hawks rifle recoil table, and there is actually hardly any difference between the 260 Rem and a 7mm-08 with the same bullet weights as far as recoil energy and velocity go.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Why I didn't do this right away I don't know, but I just looked at the Chuck Hawks rifle recoil table, and there is actually hardly any difference between the 260 Rem and a 7mm-08 with the same bullet weights as far as recoil energy and velocity go.
                https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I love 7-08 but it shines with 120-140g bullets same as the 6.5’s and the 6.5 has better SD & BC

Comment

I love 7-08 but it shines with 120-140g bullets same as the 6.5’s and the 6.5 has better SD & BC
                  I don't see either one of my girls shooting over 300. Most shots will be around a hundred or 150.
                  I have brass, bullets, powder and dies for the 7mm-08 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                    I don't see either one of my girls shooting over 300. Most shots will be around a hundred or 150.

I have brass, bullets, powder and dies for the 7mm-08 right now.

I knew BC was not a big deal for you but SD could be.

7-08 is great, my wife has killed everything from elk to deer with it.

Comment

I knew BC was not a big deal for you but SD could be.

7-08 is great, my wife has killed everything from elk to deer with it.
                      That is an interesting point about sd. I thought "that can't be right", so I looked.

Comment

New here but owned a couple rifles in 260. I think it is a great caliber but like others have said, I would go with a 6.5 creedmoor for factory loaded options. I've shot several thousand rounds of 6x47 lapua, 260, 6.5 creedmoor and 6mm creedmoor. Having a factory option is awesome

Comment

With the same weight bullet and powder charge the recoil is going to be the same in either one.

Comment

I'd opt for the 7mm-08, which you could load down with 120s as well, or a 6.5 Creedmoor as mentioned.
                            Only reason not to build the 260 would be ammo availability.

Comment

257 Roberts would be an outstanding option.

Comment

I never let factory ammo availability or cost dictate my choice in calibers. I reload everything so factory ammo availability isn’t even on my radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X