Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ poachers busted!

from TPWD monthly field notes

Nov. 22, a Wise County game warden observed an area known for Thanksgiving Day trespassing. At about 8:45 a.m., two suspects were observed scoping a large grassy pasture with their rifles. The game warden was able to get behind the suspects and detain them. Neither suspect had a valid hunting license. The leader of the two identified himself as a well-known poacher, who has a lengthy criminal record with TPWD. The lead poacher was also found to be in possession of narcotics. He stated that he was only hog hunting and did not need a license. The game warden explained that a grunt call was not required to hog hunt. The game warden requested assistance from a Wise County colleague. While the second game warden was securing the gate, she observed a small blue extended pickup being driven by a female. The game warden believed that this was possibly the vehicle that had dropped off the trespassers. The second game warden was able to locate a container that had methamphetamine in it. When the first game warden returned to photograph the scene, he observed a vulture leaving a wooded area, which he found to be unusual because the area had been observed for several days. The warden later located a cleaning site in the wooded area and a rear half of a white-tailed deer carcass. Believing that this deer had something to do with the blood that was found in the rear of the pickup, a search warrant was requested and granted. One nine-point deer was located at the suspect’s residence. Two days later, a second nine-point deer was found in the next pasture. DNA evidence was collected from the suspects, the vehicle and the scene to determine if the suspects were involved. Bullets were removed from the carcasses to determine if they matched the guns of the suspects. Felonies are pending

Chalk one up for the good guys!!

Comment

That is good to hear but makes me sad that was probably the 9 point I seen opening weekend of archery.

Comment

I hope they cleaned these clowns out. Impound the truck, rifles, freezer... everything!!!

Comment

That's great. I wish that any jerk that tried this would get caught the first time!

Comment

Tag 'em and bag'em. WTG TPWD GW.

Comment

Woooooohoooooooo, I hope they get them all.

Comment

One quick something else, how many hunters in the LBJ area actually do their part in turning other hunters in for breaking the law? I mean if you see a stand in the woods one weekend and it is there the next, do you do anything about it or just ignore the problem? What about finding someone corning their hunting area, what do you do about that, tippy toe around it and act like you never saw it? I for one call and let the Forest Service know what I found and where I find it, as we ethical hunters already have a bad reputation on the grasslands and with idiots like these it gets even worse.

Let us all do our part and help hunting by just picking up your cell phone and giving the Rangers head quarters a quick call.

Comment

To be honest the only time I had to get ahold of the ranger or warden was in Alabama Creek WMA some guys were baiting hog on the river and they werent wearing orange and it was opening weekend of archery and the only weekend for youth squirrel. And I havent had to do anything at LBJ cause the wardens have been doing a great job I have had a great exp. at LBJ this year. Oh yea 3 weeks ago called warden on a private land owner killing hogs and putting them on the road like someone was gonna drive by and pick them up. this was in PM WMA not sure what happen to the guy.

Comment

Buck-a-do...do they really do anything about the reports of feeders and such out there? We found pipe feeders set up all over a certain area at the beginning of bow season....Tried to get in touch with the Ranger but it was Sun...left him a message and Mr. Cagle called back a week later on a Sun morning before I got up...I called back a couple of times but he never returned my calls....after we left the feeder area we saw a group of 3 packing up to leave and stopped to chat a bit...noticed they had 4 sacks of deer corn in the back of their truck....what do you think? Rick

Comment

I've called several permanent tree stands GPS coords into the rangers at lake whitney this year, they always remove them, even told me they busted one guy trying to put another one back up. A few years ago we called the park rangers on some guys hunting deer with shotguns out there.
                      Last edited by boss bowman; 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM.

Comment

edit
                        Last edited by boss bowman; 12-20-2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Great!!!!!!

Comment

Great!!!!!

Comment

Rick,
                              I have seen Cadle with deer stands in back of his 4 wheeler that he has taken down out of the woods. Yes he does work hard on getting rid of the hunter's equipment that exceeds the 48 hour rule and if he finds a hunter (doesn't matter if the hunter owns the stand or not) he will give them their very own personal ticket to the policemen's ball. And guy's you will not have to fear your name will be mentioned he keeps it all under wraps.

Let's all work hard and help or we may just lose the only free land we have close enough to home to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X