Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second bow kill still a bad blood trail.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot placement and angle of the entrance and exit (if there is an exit wound) are what determines the bloodtrail. pure and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
      Not trying to start a broadhead debate this is just my opinion. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Shwackers they are a proven broadhead. My opinion is- you only have 1 2 inch gash really for blood to come out of- With shots to the deadly V you have shoulder muscle covering that gash in the ribs. Blood would really only come out when the holes in the shoulder and ribs align which as a deer is running is not very much time. Combine that with the fact the hole in the shoulder itself being only one linear cut seals over pretty easy as those muscles tighten- lastly, if the exit is any higher than bottom 3rd. That’s lots of cavity that has to fill up first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      this is what i was thinking too....

Comment

as others have mentioned, you are shooting a bit too forward. plus, if the the entry and exit are high, the blood will fill the cavity rather than bleeding out. congrats on the successful kill.

Comment

[QUOTE=sectxag06;14405926]as others have mentioned, you are shooting a bit too forward. plus, if the the entry and exit are high, the blood will fill the cavity rather than bleeding out. congrats on the successful

If the deer were quartered to me wouldn't I want to shoot further to the front the the animal vs going back and getting a gut shot?

Comment

Perfect shot placement imo a little farther back would still get the job done but thats where i aim 90% of the time. Maybe a hair lower.
            Thats why the call it the deadly V. Put it there and they usually dont go far.

Comment

Good vs Bad Blood trails have so many different factors 2 holes vs one, angles, shot placement, etc. Some animals just bleed more than others or some just don't run far enough to start pumping blood out. There are many different factors that come in effect with bow hunting. I started off bowhunting with Shwackers and I never got good blood trails out of them especially if I didn't get an exit. My buddy hit a deer with a crossbow shooting shwackers, got pass thru, double lung, and still very little blood. We did recover that deer though. I Had a cousin shoot a doe with a raptor trick (very similar design) and had the same results. We switched over to Grim Reapers and had better results and continue to use them, however fixed blades with heavy arrows have been more effective on shots to the bone and getting 2 holes vs one.

Comment

I've killed half a dozen deer with schwackers and none of them ever bled. Most of them ran 70-100 yards. Always small entry and ok exit. I always come back to my tried and true grizz tricks that always leave blood and hardly ever have an animal go more than 50 yards. I tend to also shoot forward through the shoulders in the V and they usually do not go far but have had better luck shooting fixed heads for that area of the vitals.

Comment

Went back and found the bolt from last night went about 20 yards past the shot no damage to head or bolt
                  Last edited by shwacker1911; 10-02-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

It has to be the POI and angle of the shot, entry/exit. A 2" cut, no matter the broadhead brand or type should let copious amounts of blood.

Comment

This one was in left shoulder out right side 3in back from shoulder but it was an inch over the half way point on the chest

Comment

Working...
                      X