Easton axis vs Easton full metal jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm shooting easton axis. Thinking of making the switch. I like the idea of a little heavier arrow however I've thought about increasing the foc of the axis and sticking with them. Not sure what to do.... I like shooting out to 80 yards on targets so I'd like to make sure what ever I do I have an extremely accurate arrow.

Side note, debating on getting the tools to cut and build my own arrows. The thought is that I may be able to be more precise and get a more accurate arrow and a batch of arrows that are more consistent in the batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be a big FMJ fan. I still really am, but they bend very easily and then you lose accuracy. They may look straight, but they can bend very slightly and you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
      I used to be a big FMJ fan. I still really am, but they bend very easily and then you lose accuracy. They may look straight, but they can bend very slightly and you are done.

This. You won't think their bent but they can be! I shot FMJs for years. Good arrows but I'm glad I switched. Went to gold tips.

Comment

Well, good info so far.

Comment

They bend but they fly like darts and make your bow really quiet. It's not like they bend easily in my experience but YMMV. Blew right through the buck I shot last year and ended up 20+ yards beyond him. I spined another doe before that and it went about 18" past the spine . The other ones I've spined have stopped at the spine with most of the arrow showing. I say that to say they penetrate like crazy but the tradeofd is they are likely to bend in some situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
            They bend but they fly like darts and make your bow really quiet. It's not like they bend easily in my experience but YMMV. Blew right through the buck I shot last year and ended up 20+ yards beyond him. I spined another doe before that and it went about 18" past the spine . The other ones I've spined have stopped at the spine with most of the arrow showing. I say that to say they penetrate like crazy but the tradeofd is they are likely to bend in some situations.
            So if bending is the issue and a heavier arrow is wanted, is there not another quality arrow that one could get which is heavier?

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
              So if bending is the issue and a heavier arrow is wanted, is there not another quality arrow that one could get which is heavier?

Any arrow that has the same GPI will weigh the same and if it's carbon, it won't bend. I just prefer aluminum. Easier to pull from foam too.

Comment

And the above mentioned comments is what adds to my confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  And the above mentioned comments is what adds to my confusion.

Precisely, I don't really understand the purpose of going with the axis then? For ease of target removal? I think I'd rather just go with a heavier carbon and never look back.

Comment

I went from FMJ to axis, like the axis better smoother and quicker but killed more with the FMJ... only because i had more opportunities haha

second that the FMJs will bend but not until bad o rmissed shot, mine stay in case so never had issue with until what i mentioned.

Comment

I use easton bowfire's and really like them. Shot plenty of critters with them. Sorry to add to the confusion.

Comment

I am in the exact same boat as OP. In for more info

Comment

The FMJ is great for increasing mass weight and building momentum all else being equal. The Axis will build more FOC due to the lighter GPI. If increasing mass weight is still desired then dropping down a spine rating and increasing tip weight is an option as well. The FMJ can take a bend, just something to think about.

Both are quality shafts and great building components. Personally I would prefer to build on the Axis platform unless building a really heavy arrow is the intention.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 06-29-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Love my fmj's. I have had a few bend after going through deer and javelinas and hitting rocks and caliche, but still wouldn't trade them. They have been very accurate for me and have had a pass through on all of the animals I have shot, except for one deer.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                              The FMJ is great for increasing mass weight and building momentum all else being equal. The Axis will build more FOC due to the lighter GPI. If increasing mass weight is still desired then dropping down a spine rating and increasing tip weight is an option as well. The FMJ can take a bend, just something to think about.

Both are quality shafts and great building components. Personally I would prefer to build on the Axis platform unless building a really heavy arrow is the intention.

So school me on foc with the axis. I pull 70 lbs, 27 1/2 draw, Mathews no cam htx. I have blazers, nocturnals, standard insert, 100 grain tip, 5mm shaft diameter and 340 spine. Getting 280 fps. Shooting standard 1 inch slick tricks.

Comment

Working...
                              X