Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow recommendations

I'm thinking of getting be a bow. HAVE a xbow now, but wanting to try a bow. I don't know anything about them, about the only one I have shot is the little recurve Easton I shoot with my 7yr old daughter. I have been looking at Cabelas. Do any of you have any recommendations or pointers? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but want a good, quality bow, and know you get what you pay for..

Comment

Good starter is the Diamond Infinite Edge or the Bear Cruzer. My first bow (and my backup im currently useing since i let my new one bounce for I35). Both are good bows,brand new ready to hunt with sight,rest, quiver is $350-$400...little less when ya can find some one with a used one even

Comment

Good starter is the Diamond Infinite Edge or the Bear Cruzer. My first bow (and my backup im currently useing since i let my new one bounce down I35) was the Cruzer. Both are good bows,brand new ready to hunt with sight,rest, quiver is $350-$400...little less when ya can find some one with a used one even

Comment

Go to a archery shop( Alvarado archery is a great place) and shoot as many different bows see which one is the most comfortable for you then search for it used.... I picked my Mathews z7 up for $525 shipped to my door from a guy in Kansas the only thing it didn't come with was arrows

Comment

Originally posted by beararcher_84 View Post
            And here come 2 chick's and a dude on a paint horse talking so loud I have been hearing them for 20 mins
            Originally posted by beararcher_84 View Post
            And now another group of 5 women and 1 guy talking about playing domino's and drinking O'Douls...riding hoses through...uhhhhhh you do ppl have to be so noisy??? I'm mean yeha they have as much right as I do to be here,public land. But dang it's deer season ppl,pipe down lol
            But on a good note must have my blind brushed in pretty good.Cuz none of them saw me lol

This reminds me of a joke I heard once about taking a new hunter to the woods.
            If you haven't heard it, here it goes...

A man took his wife hunting. She was persistent that she wanted to do it by herself. He finally agreed to set her up in a stand, gave her a quick rundown on what to do, and he left her to it.
            He no more than got out of sight and a shot rang out. Scared for her safety he ran back to the blind where she had a guy at gun point. They were in a heated argument and the man was pleading with her.
            The husband ran up and jumped into the middle of it and yelled:

Husband, "What the hell is going on here?!?"
            The wife, "He's trying to take my deer!"

The guy, "Look man, she can have the deer, I just want my saddle back!"

Something along those line some. Sounded funnier in my head. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by SlabHappy View Post
              I'm thinking of getting be a bow. HAVE a xbow now, but wanting to try a bow. I don't know anything about them, about the only one I have shot is the little recurve Easton I shoot with my 7yr old daughter. I have been looking at Cabelas. Do any of you have any recommendations or pointers? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but want a good, quality bow, and know you get what you pay for..
              Gateway Archery in Stephenville has great customer service. Pigeon Road Sporting goods outside of Stephenville has REALLY good prices on PSE bows. Allen runs the store and is an expert on EVERYTHING bow related. He will get you a good bow for you easy.

Comment

Hello fellow bow hunters,

I'm new to the thread. This is my first year to hunt Lake A & W. I am legal. I have my permit, follow the rules. I am looking for some help, please. I'm hoping someone on the thread has a dog that can track a blood trail. (I know I read of one person on the thread using a dog earlier this season to track a blood trail). I shot a legal buck Sunday morning at 9:54 am. I let 45-50 minutes pass after hearing what I believe him crash about 45 yards away. I lost the blood trail after tracking it down the dry creek and looking for hours. I went to town after speaking to another hunter on the property who was scouting. He told me to go into town and ask around at the gas stations as someone may know. I had some leads but nothing turned up. I returned to the woods and went back to the last spot, I found two more blood drops and lost it for good. The sun was setting and I lost light and had to find my way out. I could tell by the pools of thick deep red blood he laid down 3 or 4 times. He must have been close to where I lost the rail.

Is there someone who has a blood tracking dog that I can trust and will be safe to be with in the woods to help me. from what I read on this thread it sounds like you are some honest good hunters.

Thank you,
                KPH

Comment

I'm the one that helped justindfw find his deer. I was out there on Sunday but I didn't have a dog with me at the time. Next time post up and ask for help most are willing if their around.

Comment

Storm,
                    Thank you for the feedback. Would it be possible to meet you next time you are out with your dog? Or do you know of someone that could help? Not sure how long after a kill the trail can be picked up by a dog. I feel horrible for not finding it.

Comment

I'll be out this weekend pm me and we'll try to help. You may try looking for buzzards flying in your area.

Comment

Score!

Comment

Finally after all the time spent scouting and a miss on Friday I got a deer. It's not a big one (Fridays miss) but I did shoot one. I took the only shot he gave me and I don't recommend it because it was a neck shot. It would be a miss or a hit lucky me dropped him in his tracks early this morning. Thanks justindfw for the use of your game cart ir made the job of getting him out easier. Picture to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                            I'll be out this weekend pm me and we'll try to help. You may try looking for buzzards flying in your area.
                            STORM, I've tried to PM you and send you an email. I'm so new to the thread the system will not let me PM you or email you. The Admins at the site tried updating my data so I could but it did not work. Could you PM me your email or contact?

Thank you,
                            KPH

Comment

Originally posted by storm View Post
                              finally after all the time spent scouting and a miss on friday i got a deer. It's not a big one (fridays miss) but i did shoot one. I took the only shot he gave me and i don't recommend it because it was a neck shot. It would be a miss or a hit lucky me dropped him in his tracks early this morning. Thanks justindfw for the use of your game cart ir made the job of getting him out easier. Picture to follow.
                              congrats storm!

Comment

Success!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X