Why is it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it....

So hard to have a reliable HVAC system. Replaced the outdoor condenser 4-5 years ago and replaced the furnace/air handler last spring. This evening we got home after practice and it isn't working. The t-stat clicks like it should and reads (cool on), but neither the condenser or handler kick on. Switch over to heat and the furnace does not kick on despite the t-stat clicking and reading 'heat on'. The interior breaker has been checked and reset. It was not tripped.

Probably a float switch check the drain pan in the attic

Comment

Originally posted by The Skunk Ape View Post
      Probably a float switch check the drain pan in the attic
      Drain pan is empty and dry.

Comment

Theres a 2.5 amp fuse inside the air handler cover. Kill all power, pull the cover and check it. I have a pack inside my handler cabinet because it pops when I change from cold to hot occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          Theres a 2.5 amp fuse inside the air handler cover. Kill all power, pull the cover and check it. I have a pack inside my handler cabinet because it pops when I change from cold to hot occasionally.
          I popped my cover open, but didn't see any fuses. Only thing I saw was a breaker.

Comment

Check the capacitor

Comment

I had a unit on my old house that was 35 years old and worked fine. The unit in my current house is maybe 8 years old and in the 6 years I have owned it I have had several issues.
              Seems like they make junk to keep people employed

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                I popped my cover open, but didn't see any fuses. Only thing I saw was a breaker.
                Ok, I'm no technician lol . My fuse is on a board that resembles this picture. Iv put in several fuses and have also replaced the whole board once. System is a heat pump thats 12 years old.
                Attached Files

Comment

Check the capacitor(s) on your condenser. It sounds like your t-stat is sending a start signal but if the condenser fan and/or compressor don’t start you won’t get cooling. I’m assuming you have a heat pump and this would explain neither heating or cooling working.

It could also be your condenser fan motor or compressor. However, Texas heat destroys capacitors - I have to replace mine every 2-3 years so keep extras on hand for when it fails (always happens to me on a holiday weekend.)

Comment

Yup prolly the capacitor

Comment

Trane dealer say they use to last 30+ years but expect to replace them every 5 years now

Comment

As others have said, capacitor. Had this exact issue a lot when we lived in Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope you get a quick fix....I'm on week 6 of no AC but yet my electric bill was 10% higher than last year.

Comment

If the air handler isn't coming on as well (as in no air flow) that's probably not the capacitor on the condenser unit outside. That shouldn't affect the air handler pushing air as it can run with the condenser powered off completely. I would check on the AHU itself for a fuse on the control board as mentioned above. You might also google the specific unit on line and look for trouble shooting posts. Just sounds like a fuse or maybe a contactor/relay is out on the AHU.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                              If the air handler isn't coming on as well (as in no air flow) that's probably not the capacitor on the condenser unit outside. That shouldn't affect the air handler pushing air as it can run with the condenser powered off completely. I would check on the AHU itself for a fuse on the control board as mentioned above. You might also google the specific unit on line and look for trouble shooting posts. Just sounds like a fuse or maybe a contactor/relay is out on the AHU.
                              Yea, I forgot about the low voltage contacts. Iv had to replace that as well. I can't remember if my inside unit would still come on or not when the contacts went bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X