No announcement yet.

Terrell County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going out on Thursday and hunting through Sunday morning. Looks like it is going to be pretty cold in the mornings and nice in the afternoons. I wish we had some of the rain that South Texas caught last week to help settle the dust but no such luck. Everything but the moon is working for us but this should help kick off the rut.
    Good luck and safe trip to all!
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Good luck to all y'all, it starting to pick up. Older bucks are starting to cruise and younger bucks chasing a bit.

Comment

I’m invited on a hunt south east of Sheffield this month. A big ranch off of RR 2400 both side of the road.
        Going Dec. 16-19th, is that about the peak or end of the rut??

Friend I’m of mine I’m going with said 115-130” are common with occasion 140-150” trophy.
        I’ve hunted between Barnhart & Ozona before so I assume it’s similar to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just got back yesterday. Guess what... some pigs bobbered down the river I guess because I have hogs near the airport.

Comment

Good luck everyone, the hunting should start getting good anytime!

Comment

We were out there this past weekend. We didn't have much lock at all. We killed 3 hogs, but have yet to see a mature deer. I don't even have one on camera. We are going back this coming weekend. Hopefully, the moon phase will be dark and some of the big boys will start moving around. Several young bucks chasing does, but nothing big is moving.

Comment

Had to come back on Saturday for a funeral in Madisonville on Sunday. Bucks did not start running much until Saturday morning. Rained a little in the canyon Saturday morning with snow on top. I am going to try to get back out on Thursday (tomorrow).
                Good luck to all.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

No much to report on my end. No mature mule deer on cameras, but I had this whitetail on camera. We killed 3 whitetail doe, whitetail just started showing up a few years ago,, we shoot every one we see.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Trying to get back out early next week. Looked like it was raining out there most of the night but texted the ranch and he said, "No Rain"....
                    Good luck to all and be careful in your travels.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Here is a pretty cool mule deer buck I got on this past weekend around Dryden.
                      We saw 3-4 bucks paired up with a doe, but other than that the rut activity was minimal so far. Deer movement was really good when the wind wasn't hitting 50mph.

9 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191472145@N06/]

Comment

Originally posted by DWV015 View Post
                        Here is a pretty cool mule deer buck I got on this past weekend around Dryden.
                        We saw 3-4 bucks paired up with a doe, but other than that the rut activity was minimal so far. Deer movement was really good when the wind wasn't hitting 50mph.

9 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191472145@N06/]

BEAUTIFUL BUCK!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                          BEAUTIFUL BUCK!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate it TXBRASS. I definitely enjoy it down there.

Comment

I finally found a mature deer this past Saturday. Took him down with my Mesa in 6.5 PRC with 130 Scirocco. It wasn't even a fair fight! LOL! And, as soon as I shot, I found an older deer across the canyon trying to keep a couple of other bucks away from his doe. He was a 6-8 point heavy and tall, but I couldn't find a brow tine on his left side and only say two other tines so I wasn't sure if he'd broke one off or not. Anyway, he was across a canyon and with no way to drive up to him it would have been difficult for me to get him out by myself and a fake hip.

The second pic is a big old pig that I've been trying to kill. Last week when the winds blew all of that west Texas dust in the air he came to the feeder right at last light. I was packing up to leave the blind and decided to make one last look. He walked up out of the draw, took a look at the feeder and then went back down into the draw. I haven't seen him since. I'm going back for spikes and does in a couple of weeks and I'd rather shoot him than a spike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	24639509

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buck's pig.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	24639510

Comment

Nice buck and really big swine. I have not seen what I want to shoot in two trips out. I will try to make another hunt after Christmas. Lots of bucks but most are two's and three year olds. Finding a few Auodad tracks and a few more muleys showing up. Have seen bear sign but so far, no bear or lion. Also a few quail starting to show.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Was up 12-3/12-14. Not many mature deer hitting feeders. Brushed In some ground blinds on fenclines and travel areas. Small fingers coming off the bigger canyon bottoms with good cover. Overall it was decent.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Terrell_County; 12-23-2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X