• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
    2-2.5 hours before lst
    Why so early?

Comment

Depends on how much whiskey was drank the night before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually just stumble out there finishing off the hot beer from the night before. I have been very successful using this method.

Comment

I like to get in mine 2 hrs before shooting hours and get a good nap in. Like someone said above, best sleep ever!

Comment

If ya ain’t first you’re last

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
              Depends on how much whiskey was drank the night before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally laughed out loud!

Comment

30 - 40 minutes, I hunt out of a tripod and cant risk nodding off, by getting there any earlier.

Comment

I get wanting to settle in well before you expect to shoot a deer (daybreak), but anything more than 45 minutes/1 hour seems excessive to me... Deer aren't as spooky at night, and if you're close enough to bump them walking in they probably won't move enough in that extra time before daylight to matter much imo.

I target 30 minutes before legal time.

Comment

If I get there too early all the road corn is gone by the time the sun comes up and I'm done anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      I get wanting to settle in well before you expect to shoot a deer (daybreak), but anything more than 45 minutes/1 hour seems excessive to me... Deer aren't as spooky at night, and if you're close enough to bump them walking in they probably won't move enough in that extra time before daylight to matter much imo.
                      This. They are perfectly content to let you walk/drive on by...

I enjoy the peace and sounds of the dark woods as much as anyone, but I'm not setting there more than 30 minutes staring into the dark. You can set there all night under a full moon and drive yourself crazy looking at critters you can't shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                        Why so early?

Just to let the woods settle down after I walk through and go back to normal.

Comment

Sat morning i was getting dropped off at my pipeline stand and a deer was out feeding, he took off. As soon as i climbed up in the stand and my wife drove off, he came right back out and was there for 1 hr and 20 mins eating corn. I dont see a need to go in that early

Comment

I read an Outdoor Life magazine article several years ago..They were talking about a bowhunter,public land;mind ya'..He always walked to his set up in daylight..Was weird about tripping/stepping on stuff..He killed an acre full of big bucks.They were tacked up on an old barn wall..Just a regular guy,from what I gathered.

Comment

I try for 1.5hrs. Never less than 1hr. If i have a pattern at a feeder i may get there 2hrs early to not disturb anything.

Comment

I leave the camp house just after the hills start to silhouette. I guess it is a 10-minute buggy ride to most stands. I corn all roads and shooting lanes available at that stand. Using this method the corn is typically gone by about 930 and the bigger bucks have wandered off leaving the doe and yearlings to finish up. I change this up a bit during the rut but not by much.

When hunting with my bow I walk in about 30 minutes early and put a pile of corn where I want the deer's head for the draw. I throw some hand corn but never more than 25-30 yards from my tripod or brush blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X