Tawakoni WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
    Wasn’t this the one you tried to get me on that I couldn’t get a clean shot on?

No it wasn’t. This was the one I was trying to get your brother on. We thought by setting up another blind and catching him getting to the zone we would get him. Well, he freaking comes to the zone from complete opposite direction and he is 18 yrds from the original blind for like 30 minutes chasing off some pretty good bucks!!! Never saw him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
      Blue Heron Cove !!!

Hmmmmmmm. No sir!!![emoji2958][emoji2958]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
        Your allowed to hand throw bait out there.
        Where in the book does it say your allowed to hand throw bait?

I can only find baiting under prohibited acts? I sure would hate to be breaking the rules, and get a fine for it.

Comment

This thread is incredibly confusing. It’s for Tawakoni WMA, but got hijacked by someone showing Twin Buttes Resovoir deer..

Comment

I'm just trying to clarify the regulations for Tawakoni, which this is a Tawakoni Thread.

If someone is putting out bad information about about the rules for Tawakoni WMA, and a member reads it, they might go out there and break the rules thinking they were doing the right thing.

I've been out there several times, and have walked up on where people have thrown corn and have left there stands hanging in a tree all week.

Comment

Baiting is illegal at most if not all WMA's, including Tawakoni.
              The problem with this place, besides the meth heads and poachers, is the terrain just isn't great deer country. Barely any oaks, mostly elm and locust. Not much food in the WMA for deer. Both the north and west units have adjacent ranches with lots of feeders and much less pressure, so the deer just go there once the season starts. The place is fine for pigs, but deer are scarce. Gotta get super lucky.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, and good info on the deer and hogs.

Comment

No problem. Seems like everybody just disregards the rules there anyways. Seen 5 stands left up from last year during early scouting this year, and several “bait piles” with cameras on them. I’m not trying to bash on the place, it’s ok for hogs and you might get a doe or something at the Pawnee inlet section, but there’s better NE Texas areas like cooper or coffee mill lake or Sabine bottom with more space and less people. Just my experience.

Comment

Stay east. There are no deer west of Dallas. They've all been shot or scared into the east Texas woods. I hear the national forests are excellent. No pressure and about 10 deer per acre, all of them legal

I do think Tawakoni is low on the list for deer as said above.

Comment

Any recommendations for taking a kid to this area (or others)? Just starting to get my 7 year old into hunting...

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdark View Post
                        Yes. I hunt right there on occasion. Never a problem.
                        If you ever want company going there let me know, I live in Mabank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang6867 View Post
                          Any recommendations for taking a kid to this area (or others)? Just starting to get my 7 year old into hunting...
                          I would try Cooper. Seen a dad with his kiddos several times out there

Comment

Any squirrels out there? transitioning to the next season

Comment

Is this available to public hunting with just the public hinting permit or is this a draw hunt? I saw on the TWPD website that you need a computer drawn special permit. Is this for the whole Tawakoni WMA or specific sections?

Comment

They have 3 sections open to public with the public permit. I haven't looked at the draw hunts so i can tell you if they have them out there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X