No announcement yet.

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve noticed that picking up guitar is “teaching an old dog new tricks”. Being 66, cognitive decline (what?) is a normal part of aging.

This is an interesting medical study- done by researchers in Korea looking at many other studied (meta analysis) of the effect of playing a musical instrument in older adults.

My summary- it seems to help keeping your mind from going downhill.

Now I’m off to practice the guitar!

The aim of this meta-analysis was to review studies that applied musical instrument playing as an intervention to improve cognitive functioning of older adul...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Still goin’ at it. Found if I back off on myself it’s more fun!

I met the woman who owns the brewery in town. I told her my goal is to play well enough that I can play there- there’s live music 6-8 on Fridays. She said to ‘go for it!

I learned on amazon I can buy used music books, I pick the Goodwill stores to support a good cause.

Best if George Strait and the Eagles ordered today.

Last edited by Bill; 03-02-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I had Best of John Denver and Eagles Greatest Hits songbooks when I was a kid in the 70s. That's pretty much how I learned to play guitar. George wasn't around yet. But in high school in the 80s, I played George and ZZ Top mostly.

Comment

I called a music store in Bozeman yesterday for guitar music books while were were shopping/ errands “in the big city”. She checked the shelves and had a guitar Beatles book, the only other was Pink Floyd.

Floyd on an acoustic guitar?

Comment

Floyd acoustic is the deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Still goin’ at it. Found if I back off on myself it’s more fun!

I met the woman who owns the brewery in town. I told her my goal is to play well enough that I can play there- there’s live music 6-8 on Fridays. She said to ‘go for it!

I learned on amazon I can buy used music books, I pick the Goodwill stores to support a good cause.

Best if George Strait and the Eagles ordered today.

Bill, work on and have “Ripple” 100% down cold, then sing it and play it like you are feeling it. Have some other tunes ready, the brewery crowd will want you to do more. Good luck!

Comment

It was 1 year ago yesterday I bought the guitar. Time to step-it-up. Two music books came today. George Strait (of course) and The Dead.

So I can get cranking on some new tunes this weekend before my next lesson, please help me understand the music.

In the second measure, are the G, B and G notes played together, or picked individually?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  It was 1 year ago yesterday I bought the guitar. Time to step-it-up. Two music books came today. George Strait (of course) and The Dead.

So I can get cranking on some new tunes this weekend before my next lesson, please help me understand the music.

In the second measure, are the G, B and G notes played together, or picked individually?

Strum it. Make a G chord and strum the bottom three strings. Then pick the G(3rd fret) on the low E.

Comment

X2, exactly like eastover53 explained it.

Bill, also this G chord is shown on the “TAB” diagram right below the “music notes” you are pointing to.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Funny, it’s almost like magic but it’s coming together. I had hoped to cone to Bownanza and play Hotel California with y’all, but we made a visit to see our daughter in Cali.

I got it figured out, sitting under an orange tree in an almond orchard in northern Cali. Plenty of ‘FJB’ and ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ stickers and signs in home’s windows here too.

Comment

That's cool, Bill! Your patience and work is paying off. Fun stuff.

Comment

Congratulations Bill. Always good to see someone discover a passion they didn’t know they had.

Comment

If I was sitting under that orange tree picking that nice guitar I’d be smiling big time too Bill! A great pic of a happy guitar player, very cool.

Comment

I brought my GS-mini to a guitar tech today in a Guitar Center. He replaced the Elexir 13-56 strings with Elixer 13-53 and lowered the action by filing the nut and bridge.

Wow! What an incredible difference not having to press down the strings as hard to form chords. I was able to do some bar chords, can finally play a ‘real’ F chord!

I should have done it a while ago, and sure recommend it for any other beginners.

Comment

Working...
                                X