No announcement yet.

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an easy one that's fun to play along with, Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss by Wayne Cochran, 1961:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ySrKiTI4SA"]Last Kiss (Chords and Strumming) Watch and Learn Guitar Lesson for Beginners - YouTube[/ame]

Some of you might like this version better:

Chords here are E / C#m / A / B

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtR17BzIOIs"]Last Kiss by J.Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers 1964 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by austinRecurve; 01-22-2022, 05:21 PM.

Comment

We played a 2nd time and the 3d is Saturday.

Can somebody recommend a book of sheet music of George Strait’s hits? Also the Eagles and the Dead.

My instructor said most guitar music books include the piano music and a song is on 3-4 pages. I have print out sheet music for songs from the internet, but I feel like I’m cheating the artist out of his royalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shane, I see the list, and when I click on 1 it asks me download their app, then is there an annual subscription?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's free, Bill. They may have a paid subscription that adds some features, but I'm not paying anything. You can access it on a laptop or through an app on a phone or tablet.

Comment

Bill, Tabs is free but a word of caution. Many of the songs I've looked up either have the chords wrong, in the wrong place or the words are wrong. I ALWAYS double check them against YouTube's "original" versions. The good part of Tabs is you can change the key to fit your preference (voice).

Comment

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Thanks again. I have to practice- I’m exceeding my skill level!

I went deer hunting this am- we have a late season hunt until Feb. 15 to cull whitetails because of CWD. Nobody who I know who shot one had a positive test come back,

I saw 50 deer and 3 nice bucks cone out of willows on the river to feed where I have access. Now I know where and when they move, and I’ll go back Sunday am to be in front of them.

Comment

Good point, Olphart. Tabs online are almost always at least a little off. Bill, if you look at the version of a song tab that has the most positive reviews, that's usually the best one to start with. Then there are often comments at the bottom of the page that will suggest edits or improvements.

I'd encourage you to develop your ear so that you can learn a song by ear. That's how you'll know when a tab is wrong - when you play it the way they have it written and it doesn't sound right. When I was a kid, all I had was a record or a cassette tape and my guitar. I would sit down and play a couple bars of a song at a time, hit the pause button, and then find the notes and chords on my guitar. It's a tedious process, especially at the beginning of your ear development. But it pays dividends over time. Eventually you'll get to where you can almost play along with a song on the fly, just by ear. Just another one of those skills that require practice. Learning music theory helps with that immensely too. I didn't know much theory when I was a kid, but I gradually figured some of it out just by recognizing the patterns that repeat across multiple songs. Later in life I spent some time studying it and learned more. It helps a lot to know which chords belong in a key when you're playing a song by ear.

Comment

I typically just do a google search for the song lyrics. As in "Telephone Road Lyrics".
                  I then use Tabs for the chords. If needed.
                  You can then copy and paste the Lyrics into Excel, or type them in Excel leaving a horizontal space for the chords. You can pick a cell to add the chord where it corresponds to the lyrics.
                  Where a verse ends you'll want a double space. Same with the Chorus.
                  This gets the page issue down to one or two in some cases.

You probably already have a chord chart. The best chart will have printed across the top:
                  (3 Principal Chords) (Minor Chords) and (Additional Chords) This chart will give you 12 Chords that might show up in a song.

The Chart number is 8117

I keep adding things.....
                  There's an app that people use with a tablet. I don't know the name of the app but it scrolls down at a variable speed with Lyrics and Chords, I think you can change the Key to one you can sing to.
                  Last edited by Bluesman; 02-11-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I’m totally confused by the F#m chord in Amarillo By Morning. I find multiple ways to play it- but they don’t sound the same.

Comment

Your first one is Fm, assuming the barre on the bottom 3 strings is at the 1st fret with an F note on the 3rd fret/4th string, as drawn. Move it all up 1 fret, and it'll be F#m. Barre the bottom 3 strings at the 2nd fret, and add the F# on the 4th string/4th fret. Then it'll be F#m.

Comment

Your 2nd chord diagram is F#m. You can play just the bottom 3 strings, as drawn. Or you can add the F# root note on the 4th string/4th fret.

You can also barre all 6 strings at the 2nd fret, then add pinky on 4th string/4th fret and ring finger on 5th string/4th fret. Same chord, just including the lower 2 strings. It's like an open Em, just slid up 2 frets and then barred on the 2nd fret.

Comment

I just checked the Ultimate Guitar Tabs app on my phone. It has a chord library in it that shows you lots of ways to play each chord.

Comment

Another way to play that full barre chord is to fret the 6th string with your thumb (wrapped around the neck), barre the bottom 3 with index finger, ring finger 5th string/4th fret, and pinky 4th string 4th fret. If you have long enough fingers, the thumb on the bass string deal works great for those E-shape barre chords.

Comment

Awesome to have another guitar player in the sportsman's world. For a song lyrics and chords massive is online as I am sure has been recognized. I think intentional so not "EXACT" copies of the original perhaps to defend infringements and copyrights? Find the same song on a few sites, listen to the original and I can usually correct deviations. Played for many years. Still amateur but I have lot of fun. I am looking for a guitar for grand daughter and one rule is do NOT go super cheap. Cheap plays super cheap in most cases and seriously hampers the learner. My opinion! Looking at Big Baby Taylor for her? Well see. Nylon is great and easy to fret and stroke but usually wide and flat fret board. Young hands (and many beginners) do better with narrow and slender. (she plays a quality ukelele so a bit of a start already) Best to You!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X