Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I’ve realized saying ‘I’ll practice later’ does not work. Up, breakfast then guitar time. The grey cells and muscles are making connections.

I’m enjoying the deck outside before elk season (and snow). The neighbor’s cattle 1/4 mile below or the pair of sand hill cranes don’t take notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill, my blood pressure dropped 10 points just looking at your awesome patio view. I too have found earlier in the day to be better for working on my music. Keep entertaining those cattle and sand hill cranes with some nice guitar sounds. And keep posting your progress, good luck.

Comment

Great topic. I'm glad that I'm not alone who decided to finally learn the guitar being an adult.

Comment

I agree. The topic is really good and includes a lot of useful information. Thanks, guys. I started learning the guitar only two months ago and sometimes I just want to scream, but how great it is when I finally see the result Usually, I just watch videos and look through the different guides on the Internet. It is awesome that we have such a possibility today. I haven't heard about the guitarpass site, thanks for sharing, I'll check it out for sure.
        As for the theory, I've already begun learning it. Btw, I use Fortenotation. This is a good and useful music notation software that allows me to write the chords down, save my score as a PDF file, send it, print it out, etc. The process is pretty exciting, I should say. And there is a free version that is enough for the beginner, in my opinion.
        Someone mentioned here that lessons with a teacher can help. I'm sure they can (I learned the piano when I was a kid, so I know that there are things that are better and faster to learn with a professional).
        And Bill, I can't help saying about your patio view. It is amazing! It must be a perfect place for practicing.

Comment

Here’s a question.

If I pick my #1 string (E), when I damp the E string I still hear a vibration in the guitar.

If I go string-by-string to the others I still hear it.

If I put a finger across all 6 strings it stops.

Could it be in the bridge?

Keep pickin’

Comment

Can you post a video of the vibration noise, Bill? Might help to diagnose it. It could be the bridge or saddle or maybe something else? Hard to tell without seeing/hearing it.

Comment

Here’s a question.

If I pick my #1 string (E), when I damp the E string I still hear a vibration in the guitar.

If I go string-by-string to the others I still hear it.

If I put a finger across all 6 strings it stops.

Could it be in the bridge?

Keep pickin’

Probably a harmonic resonance. Try #6 string to see if it does the same.
              No big deal for me.

Comment

I still think that it's so cool that you are picking up this hobby now. I played daily for 15 years and finally got burnt out on it and haven't picked up a guitar in a few years now. reading threads like this make me want to knock the dust off one of the many I own and get to it.

Keep strummin away man!

Comment

Sitting here on the back porch tonight picking out some Hayes Carll got me wondering about your progress Bill. Hopefully you're making progress but more importantly, enjoying the process now instead of worrying about the outcome.

Comment

It’s moving forward, albeit slowly. Having fun, though. Earlier this week there was some confusion with my lesson time, and the woman with the following lesson turned up a bit early.

She also has a GS Mini, and the 2 of us played chords and Craig lead on a couple simple songs. That was great fun actually hearing some music.

Comment

A good experience!

Comment

I have a bunch of acoustics you'd enjoy a wide neck with nylon strings as a beginner, steel will hurt your fingers when you need to practice and build up your pads. I probably have two or three I can part with.

Comment

I would say no matter which guitar you go with, you should absolutely go get it set up. Usually costs me around $50 and has vastly improved every guitar I've ever owned. Other than that I would just say stick with it and have fun!

Comment

Bill, reading your “the 2 of us played chords and Craig lead on a couple simple songs. That was great fun actually hearing some music.” is awesome news. Practicing at home is just part of the drill and we all do it. But if you get a chance to jam with other guitar players just jump all over it! You will learn a ton jamming with others when you can do this, and it is likely a fun time. Great to hear your progress, now go out there on your deck and play some tunes!

Comment

It’s moving forward, albeit slowly. Having fun, though. Earlier this week there was some confusion with my lesson time, and the woman with the following lesson turned up a bit early.

She also has a GS Mini, and the 2 of us played chords and Craig lead on a couple simple songs. That was great fun actually hearing some music.

That's great news! Having people to play with always makes it more fun. I'm lucky since both my sons play as well so I can usually get at least 1 of them to sit in for an hour or so.
                              Congratulations on your first jam session!!

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSHOG View Post
                                I have a bunch of acoustics you'd enjoy a wide neck with nylon strings as a beginner, steel will hurt your fingers when you need to practice and build up your pads. I probably have two or three I can part with.

PM sent. That’s very kind.

Comment

Working...
                                X