No announcement yet.

DIY Bass Lake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is an interesting article on stocking Gizzard shad for trophy bass. I know I have caught 18" hybrids on 6-7" gizzards.

A good population of gizzard shad and an effective fertilization program can help your bass realize their full genetic potential.

Comment

Man this is too cool...

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        Here is an interesting article on stocking Gizzard shad for trophy bass. I know I have caught 18" hybrids on 6-7" gizzards.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_bio...zard_shad.html
        Good read right there. Gotta few more to read before the next campfire.

Comment

Awesome looking fish pond...thought out very well.

Comment

Ride Klein, YES... that is a great resource. Seen it, it's real.

Interesting article, but the issue of concern with gizzard shad was not addressed. The author supposes the primary issue is competition between shad and very young game fish. So they rotenoned a lake and killed off the shad, the game fish population didn't change and the gizzard shad population rebounded quickly. Remember that, "quickly".

Then goes on to say, "And what was the result of this research? The researchers found no improvement, no change in sportfish populations. In addition, in the following years, as gizzard shad populations recovered to pretreatment levels, when you would expect to see the negative effect of gizzard shad competition, there was still no change in sportfish populations."

There isn't any argument that soft bodied, fast growing, prodigious gizzard shad are a great source of nutrition. The problem evidently is how fast they breed and the effects of their breeding on the rest of the body of water. It's not direct competition with young fish though. Why didn't anyone ask why the population of game fish did not change? The shad rebounded quickly and the game fish population remained the same. The shads' spawn was successful enough to grow the population back to what it had been, but the game fish remained the same? As stated in Ride's source (PondBoss) you're going to (at some point) carry a high percentage of unusable shad take up space in the tank.
            Last edited by Bobcat; 05-01-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I agree better put you a duck blind out their for it gets to late

Comment

When can you start on mine?

Comment

Amazing. Can't believe I am just now seeing this..

Comment

It's a **** fine dam ya got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerland View Post
                      X2

Comment

Mom and Dad are seriously considering purchasing a ranch that has a 6 acre lake and a 12 acre lake. If this happens then I am goingto borrow your ideas. I would have to seriously consider stocking threadfin shad. They do not get near as big as gizzards. As far as gizzards go I think the larger the body the water the less chance of them being a nusciance.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          Awesome looking fish pond...thought out very well.
                          Thanks.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                          Ride Klein, YES... that is a great resource. Seen it, it's real.

Interesting article, but the issue of concern with gizzard shad was not addressed. The author supposes the primary issue is competition between shad and very young game fish. So they rotenoned a lake and killed off the shad, the game fish population didn't change and the gizzard shad population rebounded quickly. Remember that, "quickly".

Then goes on to say, "And what was the result of this research? The researchers found no improvement, no change in sportfish populations. In addition, in the following years, as gizzard shad populations recovered to pretreatment levels, when you would expect to see the negative effect of gizzard shad competition, there was still no change in sportfish populations."

There isn't any argument that soft bodied, fast growing, prodigious gizzard shad are a great source of nutrition. The problem evidently is how fast they breed and the effects of their breeding on the rest of the body of water. It's not direct competition with young fish though. Why didn't anyone ask why the population of game fish did not change? The shad rebounded quickly and the game fish population remained the same. The shads' spawn was successful enough to grow the population back to what it had been, but the game fish remained the same? As stated in Ride's source (PondBoss) you're going to (at some point) carry a high percentage of unusable shad take up space in the tank.
                          As always, thanks for your input. Hopefully this tank will grow bass that can eat a 10lb shad easily (joking of course).

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                          I agree better put you a duck blind out their for it gets to late
                          Never too late for a duck blind. Our group has the duck fever pretty heavy and I'm sure it will get hunted eventually but for now duck blind plans are on hold for two reasons. Some thought that this tank can serve as a resting area. There's a couple great duck holes/sloughs on this property all ready and we're hoping some quiet water will help keep them around. Second, gotta see where the birds like to be before building a blind. The second reason is very counter to the first, but if it doesn't work as a rest area then we'll watch it and see where the birds prefer. The owner doesn't go half way on projects so helps to be patient before pouring a foundation for a duck blind (mostly joking).

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                          When can you start on mine?
                          Happily trade you lake ideas/labor for blind building. Your projects are inspiring.

Originally posted by Gangerland View Post
                          Originally posted by Luck_of_the_Draw View Post
                          It's a **** fine dam ya got there.
                          Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                          X2
                          Thanks

Mom and Dad are seriously considering purchasing a ranch that has a 6 acre lake and a 12 acre lake. If this happens then I am goingto borrow your ideas. I would have to seriously consider stocking threadfin shad. They do not get near as big as gizzards. As far as gizzards go I think the larger the body the water the less chance of them being a nusciance.
                          Thanks to Bobcat and others I'm learning a ton about fish/pond management. We haven't high fenced the lake yet, but something tells me that's coming

Comment

How deep is ya'lls lake?

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

How deep is ya'lls lake?
                                17-18' at the deepest, but that's a pretty small area.

Comment

Working...
                                X