No announcement yet.

DIY Bass Lake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow incredible lake! Every cast looks like a winner.....cover everywhere.

Ever thought about putting poles sticking out of the water with signs on them marking the name of each piece of structure/cover? That would be cool.

Tilapia won't live through the winter in North Texas (unless its spring fed). Heck they don't live down here in Katy in a normal winter....I've tried. Once water temp hits about 50 degrees they are toast...or a popsickle . But they will spawn 3-4 times during the warm months so it may be worth it to him to stock them anyway. All it takes is money$$$$$ !!

He may give some thought to stocking some gambusia minnows too. They are a great forage base for those small bass once they are stocked. They are prolific spawners and can spawn 8-9 times a year! Plus they eat the crap out of mosquito larvae.

Thanks for posting all the updates!

Comment

Where do I sign up? LOL

Comment

Awesome project following!

Comment

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
              Wow incredible lake! Every cast looks like a winner.....cover everywhere.

Ever thought about putting poles sticking out of the water with signs on them marking the name of each piece of structure/cover? That would be cool.

Tilapia won't live through the winter in North Texas (unless its spring fed). Heck they don't live down here in Katy in a normal winter....I've tried. Once water temp hits about 50 degrees they are toast...or a popsickle . But they will spawn 3-4 times during the warm months so it may be worth it to him to stock them anyway. All it takes is money$$$$$ !!

He may give some thought to stocking some gambusia minnows too. They are a great forage base for those small bass once they are stocked. They are prolific spawners and can spawn 8-9 times a year! Plus they eat the crap out of mosquito larvae.

Thanks for posting all the updates!
              Have you had good luck with the gambusia minnows? Always heard they are nest raiders, but I don't have an personal experience to go by.

Tilapia and their survival are on the docket for the next campfire convention. By the time the fire goes to embers we'll probably be drawing up plans for a geothermal well to keep things at 62 degrees year round.

One thing we've discussed is the possibility of using an aerator/aerators to not only help with oxygen levels in the summer but also to keep the water turning and warmer in the winter. Anybody out there had luck using the aerators to turn the water in the winter?

A quick search turns up people using them to de-ice docks, maintain open water and oxygen levels in ponds that freeze over, but nothing about using them to keep the water a few degrees warmer in climates like we have in Texas.

Originally posted by Eric T. View Post
              Where do I sign up? LOL
              Originally posted by dubba drop View Post
              Awesome project following!
              Originally posted by Fooshman View Post
              Originally posted by Raypo View Post
              Following
              Appreciate the kind words.
              Last edited by Ride_Klein; 04-21-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride_Klein View Post
                Have you had good luck with the gambusia minnows? Always heard they are nest raiders, but I don't have an personal experience to go by.
                Yep gambusia minnows are the main stay of our small forage fish.....love them! Bluegill and baby bass thrive on them. IMO most all predator fish are nest raiders....but to me that's not really a bad thing since most small lakes overpopulate within a few years if they not heavily managed.

Comment

Looks excellent. The type of water that would have been so awesome to fish as a kid and definitely awesome to fish now. A great place to take the family.

Comment

Id say put some small fountains in it to turn the water up in the summertime! there needs to be a tire area somewhere to finish out that pond!!!

Comment

Really cool thread

Comment

Originally posted by Rangefinder View Post
                        Looks like a great duck hole.

Thought this exact same thing when I first saw it

Comment

I missed the work weekend but did get a few updates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140426-01000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	24301470
                          Placing gravel for beds

Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0140426-01004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24301471
                          They finished the pipe and turned on the well. Lots more gravel around the dock as well.

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Remember to consider not only the structure but the peninsulas and draws along the shore. This will increase your shore area and provide more bank for bass to set up off of and cast to.

One piece of structure I didn't see a lot of was lateral structure. Like a log laying horizontal with a lateral big branch sticking up or a series of posts like a fence. That is solid structure.

If the long-term health of the tank is important then do some research into the potential threat that shad can provide. Gizzard Shad have a down side that will likely require restocking of bass and they have a tendency to overpopulate. If managed correctly it can work. I like golden shiners because they're soft and breed well, red ears to control parasite and their young provide good forage, be careful to weed out ANY green sunfish, do not stock crappie in a bass tank. Coppernose Blue gill have been a preferred strain by some over common variety. Mosquito fish.

Agree with Uncle, mosquito fish/gambusia is another good addition. Along with varieties of native top water minnows.

The kids had a great idea with the "honey hole". That will provide some fun fishing for them and resist hang ups too.
                              Last edited by Bobcat; 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                                Remember to consider not only the structure but the peninsulas and draws along the shore. This will increase your shore area and provide more bank for bass to set up off of and cast to.

One piece of structure I didn't see a lot of was lateral structure. Like a log laying horizontal with a lateral big branch sticking up or a series of posts like a fence. That is solid structure.

If the long-term health of the tank is important then do some research into the potential threat that shad can provide. Gizzard Shad have a down side that will likely require restocking of bass and they have a tendency to overpopulate. If managed correctly it can work. I like golden shiners because they're soft and breed well, red ears to control parasite and their young provide good forage, be careful to weed out ANY green sunfish, do not stock crappie in a bass tank. Coppernose Blue gill have been a preferred strain by some over common variety. Mosquito fish.

Agree with Uncle, mosquito fish/gambusia is another good addition. Along with varieties of native top water minnows.

The kids had a great idea with the "honey hole". That will provide some fun fishing for them and resist hang ups too.
                                Are you talking about "gizzard shad lockup" (a term I'd never heard until today). Thanks for the heads up. I'm not the decision maker here, but pretty interesting to read up on it and will definitely be something the owner asks his fish guy.

Thanks again to everybody for the appreciative words and words of advice/guidance.

Comment

Working...
                                X