No announcement yet.

"Instinctive" (Revisit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not an instinctive shooter "per say", and it's definitely not my preferred form of shooting for most shots. That don't mean I don't believe it exists, and can't do it if I need, or want to.

I see the "whole of everything" in my first look, and then start using those things to focus to my point of intent. Far from instinctive I would say.

But, it's amazing how fast the brain can do that (milliseconds), and do it where your point of intent "is" your point of primary focus while still utilizing the other visual input to hold you there.

I'm always aware of "everything" in my sight picture/window, and can only best describe it as forming all those things into a conical view where the arrow is launching out the small end to that point of primary focus.

It just dawned on me, that it could be described as a "Visual Vacuum". HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!

Rick

Comment

If you’re going to shoot instinctively, you should be able to look at your target, close your eyes, draw your bow, and hit what you were shooting at.

Howard Hill said he had seen hundreds of instinctive shooters, but never a good one.

Comment

I think "instinctive" was used as a catch all phrase for those of us that shoot without knowing what shot process and aiming method it is that we use. I think it sounds better than calling it the "I don't have a dam clue what I'm doing but I'm consistently grouping as good as the rest of the guys at the archery club and I really wish that the new guy would quit asking me how I shoot because I honestly can't tell him how I'm doing any of it."

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
          I think "instinctive" was used as a catch all phrase for those of us that shoot without knowing what shot process and aiming method it is that we use. I think it sounds better than calling it the "I don't have a dam clue what I'm doing but I'm consistently grouping as good as the rest of the guys at the archery club and I really wish that the new guy would quit asking me how I shoot because I honestly can't tell him how I'm doing any of it."
          How about point and shoot? Because if not then your description is as accurate as any I can think of.
          However my process doesn't include a gap, a string walk, a point on that I recognize or any of the other things I see discussed. So it's not really a process? I don't know. I just know it works most of the time to about 20 yards. After that not as much.

Comment

Honestly, I could probably be a lot more consistent if I used a system.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              How about point and shoot? Because if not then your description is as accurate as any I can think of.
              However my process doesn't include a gap, a string walk, a point on that I recognize or any of the other things I see discussed. So it's not really a process? I don't know. I just know it works most of the time to about 20 yards. After that not as much.

This is exactly how I feel. I know I would be better if I had a method, but I’ve trued multiple times and I always “instinctively” go back to shooting how I’ve always done it.

An example of how far from an aiming method that I am is that one of the best techniques I’ve found when I’m off my game and can’t get the groups to squeeze together is to turn my back to the target walk take a random amount of steps, turn and face the target bow held low at waist level and canted completely flat and shoot an arrow “from the hip”. 9-10 times I’ll hit the ten ring on the first one. I can’t explain it. So for me instinctive seems to fit.

Comment

Working...
              X