No announcement yet.

Cell Phone In South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been 4 times, and have never had service in the field. Just WiFi at camp so I could use WhatsApp in the evenings. If I was in your situation, I would either get a satellite phone or check with the outfitter to see if there is a landline number that would always be answered.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

In....

Comment

I have been three times, the first two we used satellite phones (they have their own set of issues) because we were pretty far out in the bush. The last time I had a package that was good for 30 days as I was there for 15 days. Text worked great, voice not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
          No matter how you do your cell phone service, I cannot wait to see updates and LDP's for your trip with Harry.
          Thank you Doug, I am getting antsy!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
            Cell phone not working is just another reason I’ll go back to Africa
            It wouldn't be a concern for me if my wife was not pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
              Can’t wait for the recap I got my crate from my hunt last September a couple of weeks ago. You will want to go back.

Keep in mind it is also a 8 hour time difference so that will impact a lot of communication.

If you have ATT just grab the $60 international plan and make sure your wife has contact info for the PH. Rest assured that there service will be more reliable than anything you have.

We did the international on our phones and never used it. I tied into the WiFi at camp which allowed for FaceTime and text as well as WhatsApp
              We are using The Artistry of Wildlife in Michigan for our taxidermy. We won't see any of our animals for quite awhile after we get back!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I have been 4 times, and have never had service in the field. Just WiFi at camp so I could use WhatsApp in the evenings. If I was in your situation, I would either get a satellite phone or check with the outfitter to see if there is a landline number that would always be answered.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Good idea. Thank You

Comment

Justin dennis and artistry of wildlife does fantastic work if I didn’t have a top notch local taxidermist I probably would have used them. I don’t have mounts back just dip pack taxi has the hides I am hanging on to the rest till he needs them

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                    Justin dennis and artistry of wildlife does fantastic work if I didn’t have a top notch local taxidermist I probably would have used them. I don’t have mounts back just dip pack taxi has the hides I am hanging on to the rest till he needs them
                    Who is doing your work?

Comment

My local taxidermist in Kerrville Carey Hancock

Comment

Safari Studios in San Angelo is an excellent taxi for African game. They have done one safari of mine and will probably do the rest if Karl Brosig with Brosig's Custom Taxidermy does not do it. They have both done work for me and it is excellent. Karl did my full body mount Lioness, full body mount Bushbuck and shoulder mount Bushbuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                          Do you know what provider he uses?
                          He has MTN-SA. Seems to work everywhere we have hunted in the Limpopo.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Comment

i was recently in Australia, once I landed, I turned my airplane mode off. immediately I got a text from ATT asking if I wanted to purchase the international plan for $10 per day. this is only charged if you use your data/ make a call during that 24 hr period.

Comment

Working...
                            X