Got my bow out and did some shooting yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my bow out and did some shooting yesterday

The last few years, I have not had much of any extra money left over and very little time to do anything I want to do. So I tried to sell my bow and archery gear, just don't have much time anymore to hunt, much less bow hunt. I figure with what little time I have to hunt now days, I am much better off spending any money on rifle related stuff and get rid of my archery gear.

When I have time, I do really like bow hunting, would really like to have the time, to go bow hunting. But it has not been possible for a while, this year, I might be able to go, will be a see how things go later, closer to the season.

Yesterday, I decided I would get my bow out and shoot a bit, make sure, all is good. Well last time I shot the bow, I was shooting broadheads. This time I started off, with field tips, the arrows went way to the right. I looked at the rest, and saw it was obviously too far to the right. So I adjusted it to the left. The arrows started looking a lot better. I kept adjusting the rest and then the D loop. I found the D loop was too high up the string, it was not possible to adjust the rest up any higher and it needed to go up. So the D loop came down the string. I got the bow shooting very well, now the broad heads and field tips hit the same spot. The arrows look beautiful in flight, straight and smooth.

After a while of shooting, I noticed that I was bending my left elbow, to bring the bow back towards me or leaning my head way far forwards, to get close to the string. Then I also noticed, that when I draw the bow, when it would hit the draw stop. My left shoulder blade, was getting jammed into the middle of my back. It started to hurt after a while. Feeling kind of sore or bruised. I realized the draw length on the bow was set up too short. Ok. The bow was set up by some guy who worked in the store where I bought the bow, he seemed to know what he was doing. I have been shooting bows since I was 13. All of my other bows, I have measured myself, with a yard stick, to come up with the draw length. I always came up with around 30" to almost 31". So when this guy in the archery shop, measured me, with some special tool for measuring draw length and he came up with 29", I was a bit baffled. I said something about it to him. He did not pay much attention. I have always shot with a glove, never used a release, until this bow. I just assumed his special tool was figuring up the draw length factoring in a release and that's why the draw length came up shorter. I never said anything. I shot the bow, it took some getting used to, this bow and the pieces on it are a bit different from the bows I shot for years and the the release, which I have never used.

So I just went along with what the guy came up with. I don't know all of this new stuff and don't know releases. Never had a bow with a draw stop, either. That draw stop, plus too short of a draw length was hell on my back. After I got the bow tuned yesterday, I was really trying to get serious about shooting the bow. That's when I started noticing what I was doing, because the draw length was too short. Then my shoulder blade getting jammed into my back, I have never had that problem before.
    So last night, I got on the internet and looked up how to adjust the draw length on a Diamond Carbon Cure. The made it sound easy and said a bow press was normally not needed. That turned out to not be true, or at least not for me. Two of the screws I needed to remove, were being blocked by the limb, so the wheel needed to be rotated. I got the screws removed, moved the little cam, that adjusts the draw length. I set it to 30". Then this morning, I got up fed the animals and fixed breakfast, then went a shot the bow. That extra inch of draw length, made a big difference. I am not having to conform to the bow, I am just drawing it and it works great. I am going to shoot it some more, this afternoon, once it cools off. Really pay attention, to see if it feels like I should lengthen the draw length anymore. This morning, it felt much better, felt just about perfect. My shoulder blade was not getting jammed into my back. I really thought I used to shoot with a 31" draw length, Don't know. I am going to try the 30" for a while and then decide, if I should increase it any.

Good deal, glad it worked out for you, you sound happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot 30 for a while and though that it was a tad to long. New bow a 29 and it is easier for me to shoot. 2nd bow I bought at a good bow shop. It payed off.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
        I shot 30 for a while and though that it was a tad to long. New bow a 29 and it is easier for me to shoot. 2nd bow I bought at a good bow shop. It payed off.
        After shooting some more this afternoon, I am thinking of lengthening it another 1/2". It's definitely a lot better, dang near perfect, but I did notice the string was not as close to my face, as I am used to.

I am still not sure, how that guy determined my draw length. I was always told to just use a yard stick, which is what I have always done. He had something similar, but it was made for measuring draw length. I thought he got numbers off of that tool, then did some quick math and came up with a number. Which, also had me baffled. I was thinking, ok, someone has figured out how to make something simple, more complex. Whatever he did, it was wrong.

I shot the bow this morning, my back was still a little sore, not anything that stopped me from shooting, I could just feel some soreness in the middle of my back. This afternoon, I shot again, no soreness at all.

If I still lived near Corpus, I would have gone to Clyde's, I have not lived down there in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
          Good deal, glad it worked out for you, you sound happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yep, definitely a lot better than it was.

Comment

Working...
          X