Tripod and head for hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod and head for hog hunting

I have been using a Monfrotto tripod with a pig saddle and it has been working fine, I would just like something a little more solid and easy to adjust on the tripod side of things.

Really what I intend to do is get a complete new setup, and let my old one be a backup for when someone goes with me who doesn't have one.

I'm looking for something in the $400-$800 range with a ball head and preferably a reaper grip, but pig or hog saddle would be fine too. Carbon would be a plus. What are some recommendations y'all have for something in that price range?

I've been using this one and like it a lot. It's my go to tripod for my bolt gun with an Arca plate, AR's with Reaper Grip, as well as spotting scope use. This works great for me calling coyotes in the panhandle or slipping up on pigs at feeders at night in the Hill Country.

Comment

You can spend more money and get the PRO version...

2x Stronger and a beefier construction, the PRO was designed for the ultimate, most solid platform the industry has ever seen in such a lightweight, compact package.

Comment

Description **This is the newest version of the carbon fiber tripod with locking QD levers that are far superior to the former twist-lock legs.   The Kopfjäger K800 Carbon Fiber Tripod and Reaper Grip Kit is the perfect, shooting accessory to improve stability, enhance accuracy and eliminate fatigue for hunters and com

I like the adjustability of the one Jason sells better though...

Comment

ATXArcher, I have really been looking hard at one of the Night Stalker setups.

Comment

Leofoto 364 with the Lh-40 or 55 head is within your range. The only thing I’ve played with better is a RRS with BH55 or Anvil 30 head, but they’re double the money and very marginally better.

Comment

The saddles work ok. You’re not going to have the stability you will out of a direct mount with an Arca plate. They work well for interchangeability though. If I wanted a saddle I wouldn’t worry about spending the money on a high dollar tripod. Your weak link is going to determine the stability anyways. We run a lot of different tripods at night as we usually hunt 3-4 deep, and we’re constantly taking a couple different buddies out. It usually doesn’t take them long to jump off on a good tripod and arca setup once they shoot one of our rigs. He’ll one even bit the bullet and dropped deep 5 figures on becoming an RRS dealer the next day.

Comment

The Leofoto Precision Rifle Tripod Kit is designed as a base level kit for shooters looking for an economical tripod setup. The Leofoto Precision Rifle Trip...

This is the one I run. Give them a shout and they’ll likely make you a better deal.

Comment

I have never run one with an Arca plate before. How are they trying to hook up to them in the dark? Obviously not too bad if all you guys are running them. The other issue would be putting Arca plates on all the rifles I plan to use on it. That might be as bad as I think though. Mainly it would get used on 2-3 rifles/uppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    I have never run one with an Arca plate before. How are they trying to hook up to them in the dark? Obviously not too bad if all you guys are running them. The other issue would be putting Arca plates on all the rifles I plan to use on it. That might be as bad as I think though. Mainly it would get used on 2-3 rifles/uppers.
                    I’ve got Arca rails on 3 of my rifles, and a soon to be 4th. It’s a bit more costly option, but Altus sells the GS-2 Arca saddle for $240. Ive been meaning to add one to my inventory so that I can’t un rifles without any attachment points as wel, but still have the Arca head for stability in my precision guns.

If this is a thermal only killer, and you keep your shots somewhat close you can skip my advice altogether. For a lot of our shooting a saddle would be plenty. I do a lot of precision rifle work as well, and IMO a saddle isn’t even close to the same league. For night hunting a reaper or saddle combo would work great. For a do all tripod that you never feel lacking the combo I linked above won’t let you down.

Comment

90% or better of its use would be thermal pig and coyote hunting at night, and the vast majority of that within 200 yards.

In your opinion, is the Reaper Grip any more solid than the Pig Saddle?

Comment

I couldn’t tell any significant advantage to either. I’d go with whichever is cheaper. Also check out the Hide for used tripods. May get more tripod for the money that way.

Comment

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I will kick tires a little and think about what I want to do over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X