YouTube mechanic videos to the rescue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube mechanic videos to the rescue?

What's some of your stories where YouTube videos saved the day mechanically?

I'm not what you'd call mechanically inclined...but I can search YouTube like a sumbeetch.

The most recent success was earlier this week. Daughter called me stranded....40 miles away.

The Rubicon wouldn't shift into gear....moved around but nothing happening.

Got on the YT and started searching. Went to the garage and got a flashlight, handful of big zip ties and hit the road.

A cheap *** bushing that connects the shifter cable to the tranny had failed and the connector fell off.

I was able to ziptie the connector back on and get the Jeep home. Ordered the bushing kit for around $19 shipped and put it on yesterday.

Probably would have cost several hundred at a dealership or mechanic.

I've had several other "victories" with installing a winch bumper and winch, replacing a wheel speed sensor, cabin filter on f250, etc.

Y'all got any good ones?

Blower motor on my wife's car last week. I use youtube mechanics all the time.

Comment

Pretty much rebuilt a 95 Jeep Wrangler off YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes, my husband is so handy, if he can't fix something, it probably cannot be fixed. Well I wanted to put a saw blade on the weed whacker. He was too busy. Quick YouTube search and away I went. I was so proud of myself when a year later, he asked how in the hell did I change the blade and the string out and I got to teach him

Comment

When you change the battery on a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer sometimes you have to recalibrate the AC blend motors. My stepdaughter bought one with a new battery in it, and the AC blew out out the defrost when it was supposed to be blowing out the dash vents. Thanks, Youtube!

Comment

Countless maintenance items and a few repairs on my wife's Explorer and my last two trucks. Washer and dryer repairs, heating element on the furnace (took me three tries after breaking the first two and almost tearing the roof down in anger).

It also works the other way. If I watch the video and a few minutes in I'm shaking my head, I know I should not be attempting the fix myself.

Comment

Replaced a stator and voltage regulator on my motorcycle. Saved myself about $600

Comment

Ford F150 window motor in the drivers side door. Made the job a lot easier with youtube video!

Comment

I have saved myself over $8000 in dealership quoted parts/labor by listening to youtube mechanics. Fordtechmakuloco has been an angel in my garage.

gas cap spring reset
                  intercooler weephole fix
                  throttle body replacement
                  ignition coil replacement
                  02sensor replacements
                  etc and these are just on one of 2 ford vehicles.
                  plus countless other fixes on lawn mower/weedeaters

I detest stealerships and am very thankful and grateful that all this info can be found online.

Comment

05 Toyota tundra had an actuator that engages the transfer case for the 4x4 crap out. Got a quote from cousin who owns a dealership was 3000 to replace since they had to tear tcase apart and retime it etc etc etc. Had quote from Toyota house for 4000. 1hr or so combing through YouTube $800 for the part and 10 minutes in the parking lot at work with a set of needle nose pliers and a ratchet and socket had it swapped out and cruising.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Numerous times darn near weekly.

The best offhand was replacing the body mount bushings on my last truck.

Another would be watching the fuel filter replacement vid prior to changing them each time. (6.7psd)

Most recently- cleaning the coils on the RV a/c system- dang was that sucker plugged up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterdan View Post
                        Ford F150 window motor in the drivers side door. Made the job a lot easier with youtube video!
                        Did this on my wife's accord. Was pretty proud of myself until I dropped a butter knife down in the door when I was almost done putting everything back together. No way I was doing it all over...just let it ride.

Comment

Good stuff.

Another recent one was I bought a hog trap trigger kit with all kinds of cables and pulleys and stuff. Got out to the woods and could not figure it out.

drove to the neighbor's house and jumped on their Wi-Fi and was able to find a short set up video to get me going. Caught a hog the next morning.

Comment

**** near every part on my 2001 F350 not including the internal motor works.....from turbo seals, to fuel bowl rebuilds to dash light bulb tear down and replacement to wheel bearings to HPOP seals to cam position sensors, to unsticking the 4x4 motor to ball joints etc etc etc .....if it broke, youtube played a part in fixing it until the last year. The stuff breaking was too involved internally for me to jack with it or reach all the way to the back of the motor. Hopefully don't have to youtube anything but accessory installs for a long time with the new truck purchase....

Comment

too many to count

Comment

Working...
                              X