Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
    qb,

From what i have heard they were running out of the sanctuary and hit a bulkhead. I have a few picks of the boat and know of them but don't know them personally. I'm praying for all involved.

I heard they were coming in which would make it easier to understand how they hit the bulkhead but who knows

Comment

Looks like Loftin and I will be headed back down Nov 1 and staying until Nov 5. panhandle, mexico, or coastal... gotta get with one of you guys to learn how it's really done..

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        I heard they were coming in which would make it easier to understand how they hit the bulkhead but who knows
        This is port lavaca?

Not arm chair quarterbacking but it looks like they were off by a mile. I need to Google earth it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          This is port lavaca?

Not arm chair quarterbacking but it looks like they were off by a mile. I need to Google earth it

Was on the ICW in POC

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
            qb,

From what i have heard they were running out of the sanctuary and hit a bulkhead. I have a few picks of the boat and know of them but don't know them personally. I'm praying for all involved.
            What’s a bulkhead? Post the pics

Comment

Per Victoria paper, sounds like they were in a SCB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is port lavaca?

It’s in the ICW in POC. It has a couple of entrances with bulkheads/walls that stick out into the ICW a bit. I’ve never been by there at night, but I’d assume there would be lights on the end. Judging by the pics, they hit it the way in. They weren’t off by a whole lot. It also looks like they were moving at a pretty good clip. I can only speculate what happened, were they following their gps? Were the lights out on the bulkhead? I run a bunch at night, and you really have to be on edge. When I first started doing it, man it was nerve racking. It still is, but I do every time I go fishing so I’m used to it. You have to be cautious, vigilant, and focused. You have to dim your electronics so you’re not blinded, light bars will mess up your night vision as well. Depth perception is messed up at night. It’s easy to mess up, I’ve put my boat on the bank twice. Lol
                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 07-27-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                  What’s a bulkhead? Post the pics
                  A bulkhead is like a retention wall that keeps the ground from eroding away. You put in a bulkhead at the water's edge and then backfill dirt in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunsmoke View Post
                    Per Victoria paper, sounds like they were in a SCB

That is what the pic showed.

Comment

This is port lavaca?

What I read said the entrance to the Sancuary which is between POC & Seadrift
                      It’s the development just under the ST in Adams St left of center.

Which means it hit the bullheads at one of the two entrances.

Comment

This is a zoomed in pic of one of the entrances. The boat was just inside the part that wraps around on the end.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          It’s in the ICW in POC. It has a couple of entrances with bulkheads/walls that stick out into the ICW a bit. I’ve never been by there at night, but I’d assume there would be lights on the end. Judging by the pics, they hit it the way in. They weren’t off by a whole lot. It also looks like they were moving at a pretty good clip. I can only speculate what happened, were they following their gps? Were the lights out on the bulkhead? I run a bunch at night, and you really have to be on edge. When I first started doing it, man it was nerve racking. It still is, but I do every time I go fishing so I’m used to it. You have to be cautious, vigilant, and focused. You have to dim your electronics so you’re not blinded, light bars will mess up your night vision as well. Depth perception is messed up at night.
                          We ran a BUNCH at night duck hunting. Matagorda always seemed easy and 8 out of 10 times was in an airboat in the marsh so it wasnt a big deal. However, there was a time the fog dad almost ran us under an empty barge tied up in the ICW. We thought we were between the tie up buoys and the bank. Turns out we were on the outside of the buoys.

I used to run conroe quite a bit in the dark and each season my full tilt run got longer and longer. We didnt have GPS and rarely ran with any lights on at all. Looking back we got lucky many times running a 15' john boat thru the stumps wide open.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          What I read said the entrance to the Sancuary which is between POC & Seadrift
                          It’s the development just under the ST in Adams St left of center.

Which means it hit the bullheads at one of the two entrances.

Thats the spot I thought of and have passed it a few times. I thought someone mentioned Port Lavaca on the other thread which had me wondering. The only spot I could come up with in that area was around the bridge.

Like Philip said I can speculate what happened but I doubt we learn the whole truth. Either way it sucks.

Comment

I have run boats at night a whole lot and I agree with everything panhandle hunter said. One thing I would caution people on is trying to follow their gps while running in the dark. Your gps screen will blind you enough that you can easily run into something and it is alot harder to stay exactly on a track in tight quarters than it might seem unless you are at idle speed. I would much rather run with all my lights and gps off and use my eyes than try to run and navigate with my gps. If you have to follow your gps to get where you are going in the dark you probably don't need to be running in the dark. I have seen some very close calls and very stuck boats as a result of folks trying to run by gps in the dark through tricky areas.

I'm not saying that is what happened to the guys in the SCB. I have no idea what happened to them. I'm just saying that is something to be very careful of. It seems like turning on a light bar and running only by gps and what little you can see in the light bar light would be super easy. If you don't know it really, really well that can have you hit a piling, log or run up on the bank or out of the channel really quick. There are lots of folks running around out there in the dark who honestly don't have any business running a boat in broad daylight. Add more speed and it becomes many times more dangerous. I may be totally wrong but my impression is the more expensive the boat and the more electronics and lights bolted on it the more expert the driver feels. All that stuff does not ever make up for experience.

OK, rant over. Be careful out there. Bad stuff can happen really fast. Over many years I have known quite a few people who have hit something running at night and were badly hurt or killed. Even very experienced folks. Pilings and bulkheads are still undefeated. So are dredge pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              It’s in the ICW in POC. It has a couple of entrances with bulkheads/walls that stick out into the ICW a bit. I’ve never been by there at night, but I’d assume there would be lights on the end. Judging by the pics, they hit it the way in. They weren’t off by a whole lot. It also looks like they were moving at a pretty good clip. I can only speculate what happened, were they following their gps? Were the lights out on the bulkhead? I run a bunch at night, and you really have to be on edge. When I first started doing it, man it was nerve racking. It still is, but I do every time I go fishing so I’m used to it. You have to be cautious, vigilant, and focused. You have to dim your electronics so you’re not blinded, light bars will mess up your night vision as well. Depth perception is messed up at night.
                              I think you are right on all points. I saw the pics, looks like they were near the end of the bulkhead, not sure if it was the first entry or the second but regardless its a terrible situation. I've run that part of the ditch many times in the dark over the years. I do not remember any lights on the ends of those bulkheads but there could be, there is also a fence that runs down into the water a little ways before those that is definitely not lit.

Cannot overemphasize how dangerous running on plane in the dark is and the vigilance required to do so safely. I know from experience that when you have a bunch of gps trails in and out of a pass or jetty it does not take much to get off by about the amount that they missed that entrance, especially if your gps is zoomed out. I don't know for fact that this is what happened but I know it can easily happen that way in the dark on plane. Prayers for all those involved.

Comment

Running at night is dangerous enough even without being blinded by your GPS.

Comment

Working...
                                X