No announcement yet.

Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not an F1 fan, but I caught that replay last night and it was pretty good.

It cracked me up watching all those rich old dudes standing around the monitor screens, looking at all that high tech telemetry, and systems data, and formulating high level plans... Then you have the driver holding a wheel full of buttons, controls, and data, in what amounts to a fighter jet without wings........and all of a sudden Raikonnen's (may have been someone else) right front tire just falls the hell OFF!
    Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-06-2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
      The start is the best part, 90% of the time the rest of the race is boring. Unless you're watching it in person, some sight to see.
      Respectfully disagree that 90% of the race is boring. These are unrestricted racing machines on a road course. There is always something to watch at every corner. the pure sound of the engines at a straightaway is incredible! It beats the heck out of nascrap with the restriction plate racing making left turns for 500 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        I'm not an F1 fan, but I caught that replay last night and it was pretty good.

It cracked me up watching all those rich old dudes standing around the monitor screens, looking at all that high tech telemetry, and systems data, and formulating high level plans... Then you have the driver holding a wheel full of buttons, controls, and data, in what amounts to a fighter jet without wings........and all of a sudden Raikonnen's (may have been someone else) right front tire just falls the hell OFF!
        When I started following F1 many years ago, I would think the same thing... How much do they spend on these cars, and a wheel nut breaks, taking them out of the race?!?!? Then you realize, what may have started life as a wheel nut, a team of engineers then takes and tried to make it as light as possible, etc. It makes more sense why there are failures, especially at the speeds & G forces the machinery endures.

And the Mercedes team was about to “turn down” their engines right at the half-way point of the race. What I didn’t understand was Mercedes strategy at the end... When they realized Hamilton got the 5 second penalty, why not have Hamilton pass Bottas and try to make up the time? Bottas still would have won, but MB would have gotten a 1-2 instead of 1-4 finish. Unless Bottas was concerned he could have gotten more than a 5 second lead out front...

Comment

Originally posted by F1addict View Post
          When I started following F1 many years ago, I would think the same thing... How much do they spend on these cars, and a wheel nut breaks, taking them out of the race?!?!? Then you realize, what may have started life as a wheel nut, a team of engineers then takes and tried to make it as light as possible, etc. It makes more sense why there are failures, especially at the speeds & G forces the machinery endures.

And the Mercedes team was about to “turn down” their engines right at the half-way point of the race. What I didn’t understand was Mercedes strategy at the end... When they realized Hamilton got the 5 second penalty, why not have Hamilton pass Bottas and try to make up the time? Bottas still would have won, but MB would have gotten a 1-2 instead of 1-4 finish. Unless Bottas was concerned he could have gotten more than a 5 second lead out front...

As far as I know from the call during the race they didn't wanna push that gearbox issue so staying in the pack allows Ham to stay in the draft streams maybe they didn't want him trying to make up that 5sec penalty bc even if the team said no how is he gonna resist the temptation of open track and not try and cut that time down. As competitive as these guys are they were probably trying to avoid a catastrophic failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Politics over winning...the main reason I never watched much F1.

Comment

The 12,000+ rpm's & taking what appears to be rather tight turns at over 100mph is what boggles my mind...I'm trying to understand what an experience it would be to corner & handling the 5+ G's for the first time!! What I wouldn't do to take one around a track.

I would love to see some hero laps in today's F1's at Nurburgring.

I don't care if Ham was on my team...he would have to earn a pass.
              Last edited by Artos; 07-06-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
                As far as I know from the call during the race they didn't wanna push that gearbox issue so staying in the pack allows Ham to stay in the draft streams maybe they didn't want him trying to make up that 5sec penalty bc even if the team said no how is he gonna resist the temptation of open track and not try and cut that time down. As competitive as these guys are they were probably trying to avoid a catastrophic failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I guess I missed that. Makes complete sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Politics over winning...the main reason I never watched much F1.
                  I get it, but that IS part of the reason that attracts me to it. Combine it all with the latest in technology... it keeps me hooked.

Comment

It was a great race for sure, and I'm glad it's finally back! Definitely questioned a few of Mercedes' strategy calls at the end with not getting new tires on a free pit or letting Hamilton in front of Bottas to try to preserve the 1-2 finish. The Albon incident was a bad deal for both of them. Albon was a little aggressive when a little patience, those new softs, and DRS could've made for an easy clean pass. Of course his car would've still died a couple of laps later. I was happy to see Lando get his first podium and to see the McLarens and Racing Points in the mix.

Comment

Great race and very exciting.

Cannot stand the fact that Mercedes keeps topping the charts, but then again they outspend everyone 10-1....but parity is coming to F1

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                        Great race and very exciting.

Cannot stand the fact that Mercedes keeps topping the charts, but then again they outspend everyone 10-1....but parity is coming to F1
                        Not quite 10-1...

Maintaining a Formula One team is expensive business, and a huge chunk of resources is kept aside for the teams by their respective boards...

Comment

I am a HUGE fan!
                          Looked at both qualifying days and were in the theater room 2 hours before race start. Heck, I get all the updates on their app daily.
                          Sadly, both family trips (Montreal & Monaco F1 races) being cancelled this summer. We were ready for some serious racing after all the drama of last season! We are prayerful that the Austin race happens as it has been awesome the last few years. Its cool to be in the suite with the same folks every year as they literally travel with the sport. I even got a chance to talk with Mario Andreitti last year in the suite. I saw him race in 1992 in Nazareth, PA. as he loss to Fittapaldi.....talk about incredible experience so many years ago.

Yep, it is crazy they don't have more failures........it is crazy G forces and scary speeds! We were yelling at the screen when Toto Wolf did not give the OK for Hamilton to get open air at the end......definitely could have made up that time! Bottas ran another great race and I was happy to see him on the podium again. His future with Mercedes was up in the air for months......which was crazy!
                          Originally posted by Drew51 View Post
                          It was a great race for sure, and I'm glad it's finally back! Definitely questioned a few of Mercedes' strategy calls at the end with not getting new tires on a free pit or letting Hamilton in front of Bottas to try to preserve the 1-2 finish. The Albon incident was a bad deal for both of them. Albon was a little aggressive when a little patience, those new softs, and DRS could've made for an easy clean pass. Of course his car would've still died a couple of laps later. I was happy to see Lando get his first podium and to see the McLarens and Racing Points in the mix.
                          I am a huge Albon fan, the kid will be unstoppable with more time on the circuit. Lando was definitely a pleasant surprise and probably saved McLaren's backside with that podium placement. Ferrari is struggling mechanically & personnel wise. The sooner that Vettel moves on the sooner they will get things back in order......the brand won't stand for anything less. LeClerc is a gamer and wants to be about the team. Running the same track this weekend is going to be furious. Everybody will be comfortable and taking huge chances. Redbull gotta get the bugs out before Friday's qualifier as both cars gave out this week. Hamilton will be hard to deal with and I will never bet against him especially after the drama this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                            Respectfully disagree that 90% of the race is boring. These are unrestricted racing machines on a road course. There is always something to watch at every corner. the pure sound of the engines at a straightaway is incredible! It beats the heck out of nascrap with the restriction plate racing making left turns for 500 miles.
                            No 90+% of the time after the start the race is over and very boring, thats why I much preferred nascar in the 90's, but F1 has gotten better the last 10 years but only with regulations that take the series closer to a spec series. And the sound... you should have heard them in the V10 era, Ferrari had a V12, even the V8's 2013 and prior screamed, the hybrids sound SUCKs but they are breaking track records.
                            Last edited by bossbowman; 07-06-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

F1 rules have always been confusing and complicated but they are better now, the race Senna was killed in back in 1994 they had a huge wreck at the start, they actually restarted the race and let the guys who wrecked their cars go the backups, as a north american motorsports fan it was totally bizarre to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                                F1 rules have always been confusing and complicated but they are better now, the race Senna was killed in back in 1994 they had a huge wreck at the start, they actually restarted the race and let the guys who wrecked their cars go the backups, as a north american motorsports fan it was totally bizarre to me.
                                I remember watching that race like it was yesterday. That entire weekend was tragic.

Comment

Working...
                                X