Soon to be no more Bill in San Jose....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon to be no more Bill in San Jose....

....... it will be Bill in Bozeman or Montana Bill or something more creative- I’m open to ideas.

After being on TBH as Bill in San Jose since 2006 (and also earlier before the infamous server crash) and living here since 1992, we sold the house and leave on Monday for Bozeman. We’ll rent initially while finding land and our son will build Mom and Dad’s retirement home. I think it will be somewhere in Madison County.

Maybe I’ll consult/ contract. Maybe I’ll work. I have a application submitted to teach in the college of business and entrepreneurship at Montana State. Maybe I’ll teach. Maybe I’ll build a home, hunt and fly fish. There’s a local club’s 3d shoot April 7- time to meet other bowhunters. People there are friendly- as long as they’re sure I’m leaving the fruits and nuts behind here!

Living in and leaving Cali makes me think “What a long, strange trip it’s been” to quote San Franciscan Jerry Garcia from the Grateful Dead. While we’re glad to be leaving, it’s also been a good run- especially and surprising the hunting opportunities. I’ve been blessed with local, private land access for deer, pigs and turkeys and hunted a dozen state and federal waterfowl refuges in the pacific flyway.

I set up 2 last hunts the week before last. Monday am my friend cancelled for work and I went solo with my bow and a pocket knife. Everything else was moved to storage.

I saw a big boar at 40 yards in the oaks, said I’d pass- then said if he came to 30 I had to shoot. He did. At full draw the wind shifted and he got out of there.

Tuesday another friend came, he brought his 30-06 and crushed the boar at 30 yards- we estimate was 250-275#. It rolled down the mountain (into poison oak- of course) and we had to quarter it up and pack out.

The shooter

And me with a head-shot. And my pocket knife.

5 more months to get in shape for the Montana elk season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome Bill say hello to Randy Newberg for me

Comment

Good luck Bill in wherever!

Comment

Good luck Bill and well deserved.

I look forward to your adventures in the big sky country.

I could be persuaded to make a road trip if you need some help hunting elk on that public ground.

Comment

Big sky Bill. You deserve it. Congratulations.

Comment

Good luck, you are living my dream.

Comment

Congrats Bill!

Comment

Congrats Bill.

I personally think you should just do a subtle change to "Bill from San Jose" It was part of your life as you say... but now in the past.

Comment

Good luck Bill safe travels. Enjoy the retirement and Montana.

Comment

Im truely jealeous. My wife and I love Bozeman. However, while its not California, its still pretty liberal for Montana.

Comment

Big Sky Bill sounds great. Congratulations and make sure you stay on here.

Comment

Good luck and have a great trip. My grandson goes to school there, and have a couple other friends who live and work in the area. Beautiful country.

Comment

Bozeman (Gallatin County) is a college town- hence liberal. Last fall I was networking with a fellow I met at a trade show in Cali, and met the ex-mayor in a coffee shop. Very cordial, welcomed me to Montana. He asked where we were considering building I told him a couple areas, and he got serious and said “You know- that’s Madison County. Things change when you cross the county line”.

Pickups, conservatives, guns. Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            Big sky Bill. You deserve it. Congratulations.
                            I like that! Good luck with the new digs!

Comment

Congratulations on retirement and on your upcoming immigration into America, Bill! I propose the name change, "Bill in AMERICA".

Comment

Working...
                              X