No announcement yet.

2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a dandy on way to stand in my buggy’s lights earlier. He didn’t seem all that concerned with me being there. Hoping he slips by my set-up. Quiet so far, but nice weather.

Comment

I saw the tpwd post this morning. Glad hes busted.

Just sucks someone cant have that buck on the wall

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        That buck made the rounds FAST. Now everyone knows what a POS he is.

[ATTACH]1024852[/ATTACH]
        Wow he is much bigger than he appears in the bumper pic.. That's a big buck!!!

Comment

Good bit of deer movement this morning. Real quiet. Did some scouting after the AM hunt and found over a dozen rubs, and several active scrapes in a new area. Let’s see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What are yall's thoughts about putting up feed pens now? Too late in the game this season?
            I had deer in my pens within hours of setting them up. I made mine 25” tall.

I used to be frustrated as it seemed the deer were purposely avoiding my feeders. Ever since fences, they have no issues coming to them.

I now tend to think they avoided them because of all the hogs. Keep in mind I was killing upwards of 70 pigs a year off three feeders.

Now, I kill less than 10, and most are from being on hand corn.

Comment

What are yall's thoughts about putting up feed pens now? Too late in the game this season?
              I put one up where my daughter will be hunting last Saturday. I’d had enough!!! 100 pounds a day. Trapped him and he blew the door off it’s tracks.... pen yo on Saturday 4 bucks and a doe back in on Wednesday. Took a few days

25” tall

Comment

First deer inside, put it up Thursday.
                8 sections 4 are full height 4 are 25"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  [ATTACH]1024847[/ATTACH]
                  That’s a shame
                  We have the same problem in Leon co

Comment

only took a couple days for deer to get in our pens, also 25" high.

Comment

I carried in a climber and setup near a hot scrape. 2 different bucks worked it yesterday afternoon. Just waiting for their dad to show up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to see BarW

Helped a friend get sighted in. I will be in the woods next weekend.

Comment

Had three bucks full on “cutting horse-ing” a lone doe Friday evening. Full on pre-rut/early rut activity as well Sat. and this morning. This is the best time to be in the woods.

Comment

Made plans to go after “Main Event “ this evening. He was under my stand at 6:55am. Forecast said NE E wind. Parked and checked NE. Got in stand.... Milk week was NW W... @&$%.... climbed out and left. Absolutely can’t hunt that wind at all.

Since I was in hunt mode I drove to where I plan on Lola hunting next weekend. Figured I’d count deer and might shoot a hog.... wind E there... climbed down and went home. Plus it was drizzling good enough to get wet. For a set I didn’t really want to be shooting up in the first place.

I’ll see if I get a break in weather and wind this week. That one stand is exactly where it needs to be.... but the wind SUCKS there... and it’s flat. I’m preaching right now, milk weed will change to way you hunt the wind. It ain’t always what you feel.... oh, and the gimmicks.... yea they are gimmicks

Comment

I put another camera on a possible trail he may be using last Wednesday. If that one turns up I can hunt the NW.... but it will be a do or die hang and hunt. There’s no way out without going through deer.... no huntable wind all week in forecast. I may let Lola shoot him if he’s looking promising

Comment

Deer moved great this morning from shooting until a little before noon. East side of Athens. Saw probably 25 different deer. Fawn crop looks better this year, the animals look healthier. Saw several bucks but nothing old enough or legal. Back to the office tomorrow and the back out again on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X