Archery Shop Tech Says Its Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery Shop Tech Says Its Good

I reckon centershot doesnt matter. Rest is maxed right. Sight is maxed right. Bareshafts hit 6” high vs fletched shafts at 30 yards, fly nock low and nock left.

Muzzy 3 blades hit where I want...out to 30 yards. Muzzy 4 blades plane right.

I specifically asked Tech for my rest not to be hokey pokied (I had done that already) and bow tuned. And was told upon retrieval...“Since tears were only left and right not up and down...cables didnt need to be adjusted...just the rest.” I never saw paper tears.

Axle to axle spec is 33 13/16 with 1/8” +\- tolerance...current actual is 34”... Can I simply turn a limb bolt to bring to spec measure length? Both limb bolts are bottomed out for max poundage.

Darton 3800 31”

Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated. Ive already asked one archery buddy and he said “Firstly...why is all that crap on the right side of the riser?”
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM.

Not a bow tech by any means, but i see what your buddy is talking about, maybe some cam lean involved, interested waiting on more knowledgeable folks to chime in.

Comment

Get a second opinion from a reputable archery shop.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
        Not a bow tech by any means, but i see what your buddy is talking about, maybe some cam lean involved, interested waiting on more knowledgeable folks to chime in.
        I wouldn’t rule this out. My Reezen had cam lean from warped limbs and it was impossible to tune

Comment

Have you ruled out fletching contact with rest or cables?

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Have you ruled out fletching contact with rest or cables?
              Kind of...
              My arrow flight is consistent. My rule of thumb is if the flight is erratic then a good chance of fletching contact. I have not done the foot powder spray.

Brinkley...Im north of Austin in Williamson County.

I double checked axle to axle and it is spot on 34”...3/16” off spec and 1/16” out of tolerance.

I send my 2016 model bow to Darton for new strings about every two years. I sent it to them end of last year / beginning of this year. I had them change the cam spacers out and send me extra varying sized spacers.

BBBReezen...As it sits...there is no cam lean. However...isnt some cam lean natural during the draw cycle? (Per some youtube archery tech) I imagine being my bow rest amd sight are so far out of centershot...Im probably inducing cam lean from having to torque the bow to align the string and sights.

Broadheads do actually hit 2-3” higher than field points at 30 yards. Muzzys, NAPs, Montecs...all COC. So I reckon I could adjust my rest down or nocking point up.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-25-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Is this the archery shop in academy by chance.

Seriously, find a shop and tech that not only knows what they're doing but care about the product they put out. Two different but equally important criteria.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a tech by any means. But normally rest is not the first thing to be moved, normally fine tuning/bh tuning. Sounds like he didnt want to put it in a press to get ata to spec then sync cams then shim cams/twist cables as needed. My hunch is he is inexperienced or lazy. Either way take to a REPUTABLE bow tech. Depending on your location the guys here can point you to a good tech in your area.

Comment

Your ATA is fine. There is a tolerance there for a reason.

Center shot is center shot. If your bow won’t tune at center shot, it needs yoke tuned or cams shimmed. There is some tolerance on center shot also, but not a lot. Find a tech that knows what they are doing, because what you have there is a lot of ignorance and incompetence.

Comment

Sleepy...Im confused...my bow ATA is out of tolerance (33 11/16- 33 15/16) per spec sheets....even though its only 1/16”.

I like doing archery business locally with small shops...not with big box stores...but Ive been to two shops locally and same results. I looked at increasing my bow shop radius but Ive lost desire to go further for the potentially same results and time wasted. I get the feeling many techs dont want to work on a bow they dont sell.

The closest Darton dealer is/was in Waco but the shops reviews seem to be consistent...poor service. Ive heard/read good things about the techs in Lampasas and Killeen techs seem to be variable. Ive signed up for the Darton blog to ask that community but it seems to not like my smart phone interface.

Im to the point that I am seriously considering investing money in all the equipment to service my bow myself....and for my kiddos in the future. So...moving forward.... with the learning paradox ....

Can I simply back my limb bolts out a smidge to bring ATA to with in spec tolerance?

Thank you all for your input.
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-25-2020, 10:59 AM. Reason: DontSellSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        Sleepy...Im confused...my bow ATA is out of tolerance (33 11/16- 33 15/16) per spec sheets....even though its only 1/16”.

I like doing archery business locally with small shops...not with big box stores...but Ive been to two shops locally and same results. I looked at increasing my bow shop radius but Ive lost desire to go further for the potentially same results and time wasted. I get the feeling many techs dont want to work on a bow they dont sell.

The closest Darton dealer is/was in Waco but the shops reviews seem to be consistent...poor service. Ive heard/read good things about the techs in Lampasas and Killeen techs seem to be variable. Ive signed up for the Darton blog to ask that community but it seems to not like my smart phone interface.

Im to the point that I am seriously considering investing money in all the equipment to service my bow myself....and for my kiddos in the future. So...moving forward.... with the learning paradox ....

Can I simply back my limb bolts out a smidge to bring ATA to with in spec tolerance?

That’s not much off that mark and 100% is not making any impact on your tuning problem. In order to ensure everything is where it needs to be, you need to measure ATA, BH, DL, and DW.

Backing the limb bolts out will not solve the problem. ATA is made by the tension on the cables and string. Those have to be adjusted, not your limbs. But 1/16” is not out of whack. As long as everything else measures out, it’s fine. As I mentioned, you need yoke tuned or cams shimmed. That will solve your problem.

Comment

You're going to have to go in and tell them what you want to do. Or want done. Most bow shops are going to get it close, or get it to where it works. But that doesn't mean it's right. So tell them you want center shot set, then shim cams or yoke tune. You can move the rest away from center shot a hair (1/16 either way). Ata has a tolerance like sleepy said. I just realized we basically said the same thing. Also, knock tuning bare shafts makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post

Backing out might: will make a movement..... but that’s not how it’s fixed or measured in spec.

Set rest back to center. If it won’t shoot there, then there’s other issues. SHOULD be cam lean at brace

Comment

No help here, but I'd head to Hoffy's in Lampasas.

Comment

Working...
                              X