OTC and cool draw hunts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTC and cool draw hunts.

I’ve been helping a young man that’s new to archery and hunting all together. He‘s going on our OTC elk hunt this year. Which he had no idea you could just drive to Colorado, buy a tag, and hunt thousands of acres of land. He asked me “what other things and states can you hunt OTC?” So I thought I’d ask here. I know a bunch of other hunts I’ll never do, but I shared with him. I know there a bunch I don’t know about though, so. I figured I’d ask the all knowing GS.

What other hunts are out there for over the counter tags that people don’t know about or maybe unique draw hunts that aren’t well known?

A few I mentioned to him... Maryland’s OTC Sambar Deer, Florida’s St. Vincent Sambar, New Mexico’s OTC Aoudad, Arizona’s OTC coues and mule deer, Arkansas OTC bear hunt.

What else is out there?

South Dakota has OTC Mule deer and whitetail tags for some pretty big expanses of public land. I think Wyoming has OTC elk hunts as well. May be wrong on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wyoming is all a draw for non residents.
      He should buy a PP this year, right now and apply for a general tag next year, he could archery and rifle hunt on that tag .
      Lots of spots to hunt turkeys up north of you.

Nebraska may have some OTC deer permits, mulie and or whitetails.

Comment

Lots of states have OTC turkey & WT
        Nebraska OTC deer tag was good for both WT & muleys when we did it
        Montana has unlimited sheep units - tough hunting, huge areas, small quotas, and small populations of sheep, but you can get a tag and go

Comment

No PP for our bison draw hunts in Wyoming, mt goat either.

Comment

Idaho has OTC elk and deer. It is getting more crowded and prices are going up next year. The wolf population has changed elk hunting significantly.

Comment

I suggest you check out Randy Newberg on YouTube.

I have done OTC elk twice in Colorado- 3rd rifle. If you have access to a horse you can cover more ground and learn a unit for future years.

Comment

Alaska has several. Ive done the caribou OTC hunt 2 times....for cheaper than I can get a lease in Texas.

Comment

I appreciate the ideas. The Alaska caribou interest me and the guys I hunt with. 7 years ago we didn’t realize how easy Colorado OTC elk was. I’ll be looking into some these hunts for sure and passing them along too. Keep them coming, I think I enjoy the research as much as the hunts.

Comment

Oregon still has OTC for deer and elk. $588 for your elk tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
                      I appreciate the ideas. The Alaska caribou interest me and the guys I hunt with. 7 years ago we didn’t realize how easy Colorado OTC elk was. I’ll be looking into some these hunts for sure and passing them along too. Keep them coming, I think I enjoy the research as much as the hunts.
                      Does CO have a cap like Idaho?

Comment

Tagging this post

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                          Alaska has several. Ive done the caribou OTC hunt 2 times....for cheaper than I can get a lease in Texas.
                          What kind of prices are we talking about for Alaska?

Comment

Getting ready to head to St. Vincent Island off Florida Coast for the Sambar hunt the third week of November. I'll let you know how that hunt is when I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                              What kind of prices are we talking about for Alaska?
                              Around 5.5-8k

Comment

Working...
                              X