9mm bullet for personal protection ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
    One so called "expert" penned an article in a shooting magazine years ago that claimed a lawyer might find a way to hold a person accountable for using handloaded ammunition in a defense situation.
    I remember reading that. It was Massad Ayoob. IIRC he happened to be a distributor for Corbon ammunition. Looks like he was trying to increase sales. Kinda like the shampoo salesman that started the scam that you have to wash your hair twice. Doubled the sales of shampoo and some people still believe that bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
      I reload lots, have a Dillon 1050 and 650.
      You said for "self defence". For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
      I often load something that feels "similar" but why use expensive projectiles for practice?
      Just a thought...
      Stay Safe
      One reason I can think of and the main reason is to make sure they'll actually function in a weapon you're depending on to defend your life.

For example my grandpa got some Magtech bullets that were designed for self defense. He test fired one magazine to see how they ran in his gun and every other one jammed in that particular gun. If he'd have loaded up a magazine and carried that pistol and something had happened to where he had to use it in defense of his life or the lives of others he would not have won that fight.

Always run some expensive rounds through your carry gun to see if they'll function in that gun. They may be expensive but a lot less valuable than your life.
      Last edited by okrattler; 03-28-2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
        I reload lots, have a Dillon 1050 and 650.
        You said for "self defence". For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
        I often load something that feels "similar" but why use expensive projectiles for practice?
        Just a thought...
        Stay Safe
        I've reloaded a long time and I could think of a LOT of reasons TO USE reloads. Have had failures with factory stuff, can't remember hardly any in my reloads.

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        Maybe it could be construed as pre-meditated if you make your own to shoot people. Better to purchase from a company who manufactures defense rounds.
        Oh well, so going to a store and mulling over various brands of defense ammo or spending hours online to pick some is not pre-meditated though?
        LOL . I'll take my chances, if needed.

Would be nice if people stuck with the original question/subject.

Comment

lol

this thread took the exact route I figured when reading the OP.

Keep it up TBH. I'm highly bored with way too many hours inside these days!!

Comment

When i load for my 1911, that i sometimes carry, every single round get
            'plunk tested". I load XTP bullets and have fired several hundred of these through my pistol, with no issues.

Most "concealed carry experts" recommend you dont carry a particular round in your gun until you have ran 200 of that round through your pistol without any failures to cycle and fire. Kinda pricey with self defense ammo.
            When i carry my G22 .40 caliber, i carry factory, because i am not set up to load it yet. That may change in the near future. My procedures above will not change for the G22.

Oh, i dont believe any case has came up to date, where reloads had any bearing on the case.
            They could say you bought that specific ammo to kill, just like if you loaded it. The proper response, is i bought what the police use.
            Last edited by double bogey; 03-28-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

2 years ago I had the opportunity to talk to Michele Byington, on the authors of Texas Gun Law: Armed And Educated. I asked her about whether or not reloading could be used against you in court. Her reply was that she didn't know of any cases where it had been used, BUT she also said if she was the prosecutor and felt the jury would respond to this she wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use it to her advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                2 years ago I had the opportunity to talk to Michele Byington, on the authors of Texas Gun Law: Armed And Educated. I asked her about whether or not reloading could be used against you in court. Her reply was that she didn't know of any cases where it had been used, BUT she also said if she was the prosecutor and felt the jury would respond to this she wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use it to her advantage.

While I don’t think that would
                go anywhere, I do think it is likely wise to use bullets considered to be in common use and even better if you use bullets that are used by law enforcement and avoid and of the boutique bullets like RIP and the like. I don’t see how any valid argument could be presented against you by using the same bullets used by LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  While I don’t think that would
                  go anywhere, I do think it is likely wise to use bullets considered to be in common use and even better if you use bullets that are used by law enforcement and avoid and of the boutique bullets like RIP and the like. I don’t see how any valid argument could be presented against you by using the same bullets used by LE.

I agree 100%. The likelihood of something happening with it is very small, but Speer GD’s, Federal HST’s, and a few others have been through tons of ballistic and reliability testing and even been used in numerous shootings, so I don’t see any reason to take your chances on using your own reloads. As Mike D stated, it would be much easier to explain why you decided to use a round that is used by countless LEO’s across the country than it would be had you used a bullet that you put together in your garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any hollow points from a reputable manufacturer will be just fine.

Comment

A question for our law enforcement officers here. When you inventory and catalog a firearm used in a shooting. What are the procedures you go through.
                      The reason i ask, is i read a post on a forum somewhere, i dont believe it was this one, where an investigator stated he noted on the rounds that would be left in the firearm, the brand stamped on the brass, and the type of bullet the remaining rounds contained, and that was all.
                      And then, i have read Massad's opinion that even though they may have some remaining reloads in a gun, they wouldnt quantify the loads like they would factory rounds, and could use that against you, even though they cannot know the composition of the round/s you fired. Now, he is an expert, and his advice for the most part should be trusted, i will still carry my reloads sometimes.
                      I agree, if it comes down to it, good shoot or not and you end up in court against a bad DA, you need as much on your side as possible.

Bottom line, don't shoot someone unless you really have to. Even if you are right, it can cost you everything you own, and possibly your freedom.

Comment

i was an leo for 30 years, i spent 10 years while there doing security work in a billion dollar law firm,,,, i got to be friends with a couple of the lawyers,,, and spent a lot of time talking to them about such things....

a good lawyer will make an issue of hand loaded ammo, and his most likely direction will to be paint you as a wacko who made his own ammo for the soul purpose of killing people,,, because if you were not wacked out you would have just bought any of the normal stuff that leo's and the fbi use,, but you wanted yours to be deadlier than what could be bought off the shelf...

it does not mean they will win, but it does mean you must now defend and explain under pressure why you could not use store bought ammo... remember you do not have to be intelligent or a 2nd amendment supporter to sit on a jury,,, and if you are pro 2nd, your chances of sitting on a jury in a gun case is very thin......so your chances of getting anyone who is pro gun on your jury is about nill... much less getting people who can reasonably think and reason for themselves

everyone is going to do what they want anyway,, but no way on earth i would want to be put on trial and have to defend myself because of hand loads, especially since factory ammo is so good now and they choices are wide,,, and those 30 years as an leo give me a big advantage over most of you in courtroom testimony because i have been there and done that many times,, so please use common sense and buy something off the shelf or even off the internet buy a manufacturer, not a reloader ,,, but in the end it is everyone's choice i know what can happen and i carry factory ammo,( and i have been reloading for almost 40 years now),, it is one less thing to give to the haters on the other side

and none of this even has to do with defending a justified shooting or not,,
                        Last edited by xman59; 03-29-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                          Last edited by Traildust; 03-30-2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

How are they going to know if it is reloaded ammunition? I certainly wouldn't volunteer that information. I don't remember where I got that ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              i was an leo for 30 years, i spent 10 years while there doing security work in a billion dollar law firm,,,, i got to be friends with a couple of the lawyers,,, and spent a lot of time talking to them about such things....

a good lawyer will make an issue of hand loaded ammo, and his most likely direction will to be paint you as a wacko who made his own ammo for the soul purpose of killing people,,, because if you were not wacked out you would have just bought any of the normal stuff that leo's and the fbi use,, but you wanted yours to be deadlier than what could be bought off the shelf...

it does not mean they will win, but it does mean you must now defend and explain under pressure why you could not use store bought ammo... remember you do not have to be intelligent or a 2nd amendment supporter to sit on a jury,,, and if you are pro 2nd, your chances of sitting on a jury in a gun case is very thin......so your chances of getting anyone who is pro gun on your jury is about nill... much less getting people who can reasonably think and reason for themselves

everyone is going to do what they want anyway,, but no way on earth i would want to be put on trial and have to defend myself because of hand loads, especially since factory ammo is so good now and they choices are wide,,, and those 30 years as an leo give me a big advantage over most of you in courtroom testimony because i have been there and done that many times,, so please use common sense and buy something off the shelf or even off the internet buy a manufacturer, not a reloader ,,, but in the end it is everyone's choice i know what can happen and i carry factory ammo,( and i have been reloading for almost 40 years now),, it is one less thing to give to the haters on the other side

and none of this even has to do with defending a justified shooting or not,,

As wacky as it sounds he makes valid points here. And it is for those same reasons that MOST LE agencies don’t allow officers to change out any factory internals in their weapons. An example would be triggers...some new officers want a bad *** competition trigger to be faster or better in their minds. Point being not only are you changing your well proven pistols internals a good lawyer will make it look like you wanted to be able to kill faster or whatever non sense.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                                How are they going to know if it is reloaded ammunition? I certainly wouldn't volunteer that information. I don't remember where I got that ammo.

Same here. I go back to if it’s justified shooting per TPC, it will never elven make it to a trial by jury. It will be no billed by the grand jury.

Comment

Working...
                                X