Longest bearded hen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longest bearded hen

Need help looking for the record rio bearded hen. I’m having no luck.

Interested, I have no clue but got one on the camera that I thought was huge. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	24609305

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That's a long beard for a hen. We had a large flock show up last week, I got 27 on camera, in one picture. I noticed one of them had a beard, the beard on that one, is probably 1 1/2" long. I thought it was a jake, but the whole group were all hens.

Comment

Is there an actual record?

Friend killed a triple bearded one. Longest was over 8”

Comment

That is long, but our place we had on the Rio Grande had quite a few bearded hens and some were quite long, probably longer than the one in your picture... Most I ever saw at once was 3 in one flock and of those three, 2 were at least that long with one being double bearded... Still be cool to find out if there is a known record and compare it to yours. Would still be a fine trophy worthy of mounting! Good luck getting her in the Fall... (don't think bearded hens are legal in any spring season).

Comment

I have actually seen hens with full beards like gobblers. I have a 6 1/2 inch beard from a hen I shot in Kent county several years ago. Bearded hens are very common there. We would see 5 plus every year. We were covered up in turkeys though. We carded slingshotswith is to the blinds to spook turkeys away from the corn so the deer would come in.

Comment

Had a hen that had 3 beards about 5 years ago longest was 9 inches

Comment

A 10" beard on a hen would be a record in a few states and a trophy in any state.

Comment

Dang single beard 8 inches.

Comment

Over a half-century ago, the first turkey I ever shot (Blanco County) was a hen with a 7 1/2-inch beard. For the longest time I assumed I'd shot a gobbler, but finally my grandpa set me straight on it. I still thought it was cool, though.

FWIW, you couldn't stick a fork in the gravy.

Comment

Working...
                    X