Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen or have Purple Martins yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several years ago my mother and father in-law gave us a purple martin house for Christmas. At the time I was thinking what in the heck is this all about. To this day I still believe it is one of the best gifts they have ever given us. I love watching those little monkeys. And you know without a doubt the sound they make if you have ever heard them. I am hoping they make the journey this year as it will be 8 years in a row. Most morning weekends I find myself having a cup of coffee just watching them do there thing.

Anyone else like the squawking chaos? I know I sure do... From them

I love the job they do on skeeters

Comment

Usually show up here around Valentine day.

Comment

Watching this also. Just put our 1st house this year. Heard the males head out in jan before they bring the families. Anyone know if this is true?

Comment

We've had a few colonies here on the ranch in North Texas for years. I have yet to see or hear any yet, but it won't be long!!!!

Oh...and unfortunately, a Purple Martin's diet only consists of about 2% Mosquitos. The idea that Mosquitos were a huge part of their diet "Purple Martins eat 2000 Mosquitos a day" was a great, but false selling point by one of the most famous PM house makers/sellers.

Think about it, PMs feed hundreds of feet up in the air during the day and typically come back to their nest about the time Mosquitos come out in the evening. Their diet mainly consists of Dragon Flys, butterfly's, etc....insects that fly high during the day.

I have 12 gourds here at my house along with a wooden 5 story PM house.

Skinny
          Last edited by Skinny; 01-22-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Just cleaned out my boxes in Menard, County. Waiting

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a Martin house to help with skeeters

Comment

How long did it take for them to find it and do you have problems with other birds or wasps?

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                  How long did it take for them to find it and do you have problems with other birds or wasps?

Since we had a colony already established on the ranch at one of the other houses here, I had a couple pair nest the first year.

There will be constant competition with sparrows and starlings. I have a good Gamo pellet gun that has killed many unwanted species.

If there are Martins in your area, and you provide a good, safe house, there will be a great chance you get them to nest there.

Just a tip, if you buy a new house, put some pine needles or straw in the next boxes and smear some mud on the outside of the entrances...Martins prefer houses that have been nested in before and they certainly prefer a full house, so tricking them into thinking others are nesting there is helpful.

Also, if you are real serious, you can get some Martin decoys online and mount them on the perches of your house to draw them in.

Skinny

Comment

I saw two yesterday down here by Wharton. Seems pretty early.

Comment

Still early. Scouts won't be long. Build out and they will come.

Be ready to launch war inn the sparrows. They are evil little birds. I invested in sparrow taps and a good pellet gun 4 years ago and no issues. Passes the time waiting on deer season

Comment

They will be at my house Feb. 10 +/- 2 days. I can set my watch by their arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                          Usually show up here around Valentine day.
                          This!

Comment

Not seen the first one here, this year

Comment

Yep. Valentines day here and July 4 they gone

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	24281257

Comment

Working...