Getting a lab--Male or Female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
    The second (and current) is a rescue. She is the best dog I have ever had. Picked up training guickly,
    Yes indeed. My first golden was uh humm...a rescue and a mix with some collie in her. She looked like a golden.....tracked a downed duck to the horizon, and even in a few instances, even up to the reed that it would cling to underwater. She actually would wind the reed and dive underwater to retrieve the bird. Came up with the bird and muck..one of the most thrilling things to see. She swam so hard to the point of exhaustion if you weren't careful. Actually blew off academics to a degree in my senior year of undergrad to train her. Bloodlines can give you an indication of what you are or may have, but the heart of the trainer and dog defines your success.

Comment

My male duke is the best dog I have ever had. He has listened from day one and is a natural at hunting. I really didn't have to train him much just commands and other stuff

Comment

A dog only behaves as well as it is controlled. Some dogs have drive, some dogs don't, not matter what pedigree they come out of. There are great male and female dogs. It all boils down to to luck of the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
          I have both a male and a female lab and the comments stating that females are less hard headed made me physically laugh out loud. My female lab is the most hard headed dog I have ever owned ( my husky was easier to train and those dogs have I mind of their own). I think the hard headedness is just based on the dog versus the gender. Heck, I can look at my male lab lower my voice and just crumples and tries to appologize for not healing all night long..
          Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
          A dog only behaves as well as it is controlled. Some dogs have drive, some dogs don't, not matter what pedigree they come out of. There are great male and female dogs.

These two posts are the two mosts valid posts in the entire thread. Dogs are a lot like people in that we all have our own distinct personalities.
          The gender of the dog has nothing to do with drive, intelligence, desire, trainability, performance, athletic ability, etc. Both males and females can be hard headed, lazy, sweet, passionate, trainable, mean, angry, talented, social, etc.
          The only thing that sex determines is how they ****(urinate), whether they're on two feet or four for the breeding process, and whether or not they're responsible for the pups for the first 7 weeks of their life or not.
          Anyone who believes other wise is un-educated on the topic.

To the OP, get what fits your family best. Gender truly doesn't matter.
          Last edited by Mud Shark; 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zero-in View Post
            Yes indeed. My first golden was uh humm...a rescue and a mix with some collie in her. She looked like a golden.....tracked a downed duck to the horizon, and even in a few instances, even up to the reed that it would cling to underwater. She actually would wind the reed and dive underwater to retrieve the bird. Came up with the bird and muck..one of the most thrilling things to see. She swam so hard to the point of exhaustion if you weren't careful. Actually blew off academics to a degree in my senior year of undergrad to train her. Bloodlines can give you an indication of what you are or may have, but the heart of the trainer and dog defines your success.
            Bloodlines can give you an indication of what you are or may have, but the heart of the trainer and dog defines your success.

This is so true!^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

I've seen more female duck dogs wander away in the tulies where we are set up, to where a male dog's ducks are laying and 'steal' one and bring it back than the opposite happening. Those female labs were just duck-crazy.

Comment

Chocolate male, easiest trained and best mannered dog I've ever had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371853230.226502.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	24212041

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Keeping on believing that.....You are wrong..

My lab was 67-70 lbs until she turned 10 and was retired due to a leg injury..
                  x2. my bella is all chest and shoulder. great working dog. ive never had good luck with males.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                    Chocolate male, easiest trained and best mannered dog I've ever had.]
                    That's one, serious, I'm-on-the-job look from your dog.

Comment

female for sure

Comment

Our son picked our female today. Biggest female, dark and she went crazy for a mallard wing from his freezer- she fell asleep on top of it.

Father-daughter picture. Name is still in spirited discussion.

Comment

I'll take a black female every time.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                            Because my sisters lab didn't have gsp's.
                            Duh!

I got both. A lab and gsp mix. Not the brightest but she was just a pet for my wife and not for hunting. She is a cute goofball. My female black lab/heeler has been a great bird dog. I went with females for the simple reason of don't want a dog hiking its leg and pissing on everything.
                            Last edited by Mjjust; 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Picked up a lab hound mix from Operation Kindness in Carrollton two weeks ago. Gracie is 12 weeks old fox red and a sweetheart so far. Ordered the training set from Antler Ridge. Will be training her to hunt sheds.
                              Last edited by Booner Sooner; 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Brother and sister to be split up next week, she comes to SJ on July 14 on a United flight.

Here's a funny lab picture I found.

Comment

Working...
                                X