No announcement yet.

Getting a lab--Male or Female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure he/she has a "smart knot" on its noggin...

Comment

This is my British female. She the third lab I've trained and by far the easiest to work with. She has tons of drive but she can be a little timid in harsh conditions and she shut down on me middle of last season during a cold big water hunt. The blind I was in had a pretty steep and narrow dog ramp with a platform sitting about two ft above water. I just calmly corrected her and didn't send her on any birds the rest of the hunt. I haven't had that problem since and I've hunted her in worse conditions since then. My advise is based on where u hunt. Shallow ponds and moderate temps I'd go with a female due to ease of training. Tough conditions and long hunts I would go with a male for stamina and endurance.

Comment

Both of my current GSPs are female...my last three labs were female...my first one wasn't. That should tell you all you need to know about training them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Keeping on believing that.....You are wrong..

My lab was 67-70 lbs until she turned 10 and was retired due to a leg injury..
          ok let me rephrase, most of them

Comment

A female without a doubt! And no, whoever said they get lazy after being fixed is dead wrong. My yellow lab Jessie is a very active dog and weighs about 65 pds. I wouldn't trade her for any thing. She is the most obedient dog I have ever owned...will do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
              ok let me rephrase, most of them

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                I really don't want just a good old duck dog. I have hunted with enough of them.

I guess if you want a field trial dog for a hunting companion and house dog then that has some relevance.

Just going by what he stated.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                  Just going by what he stated.

He's getting a dog from his sister's backyard breeding....so I'm just going by what he stated

Comment

hey he is a french model..

Comment

Smart, from what I've researched, the dam has some pretty good blood. I've seen superior blood dogs come up lame and some "backyard breeding" dogs do very well. I'll probably never run trials with this dog, but if I wanted to, I hope to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                        Smart, from what I've researched, the dam has some pretty good blood. I've seen superior blood dogs come up lame and some "backyard breeding" dogs do very well. I'll probably never run trials with this dog, but if I wanted to, I hope to succeed.

Of course...there are always exceptions...

Comment

He's getting a dog from his sister's backyard breeding....so I'm just going by what he stated
                          Touch'e

Comment

When it comes down to it Sac get what you feel is going to fit in your "house" the best. There are sacrifices on both sides if this one. I personally think males hunt harder but prefer a female dog around the house. I have trained several GSPs in the past and some of the females hunted better than the males did. Over all with hunting with you last year I think you'd be very happy with a stronger willed female dog that will hunt harder.

Comment

Reading through the posts and I have a few comments to add. I have had 2 female labs. I didn't pick either one, both of them picked me. One was from a breeder that I paid an arm and leg for and she had a pedigree a mile long. Great dog, great drive, easy to train and sad to say only had a short time with her. The second (and current) is a rescue. She is the best dog I have ever had. Picked up training guickly, (I am NOT a pro) and has found more downed dove that I would have lost than I could imagine. She has been fixed and has lost no drive to work or play and I would not trade her for the world. My choice is a female and play with all of them and let the right one pick you. Good luck.

Comment

I got more pictures from Montana. I'm waiting to see which female pup my son picks for me. He'll ship it air cargo on United Airlines on July 14 to us.

Comment

Working...
                                X