Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

221#Boar meets SEVR broadhead, more than one actually - How about a hunting story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    Great hunt and great story !!!

Michael. As you know I have shot Slick Tricks and been a Slick Trick dealer since about 1999 when the they first came out. You have bought a bunch of STs from us. I still shoot them, but I bought some Sevr at the Iowa Deer Classic. We shared a booth with the Sevr guys and I got to learn a lot about them and heard a lot of success stories from Iowa hunters and saw a lot of pictures of big Iowa bucks killed with them. I have not shot a mechanical in 20 years, but I am going to give the Sevr a try. I like the titanium construction, the lock down screw for practice, and I really liked the massive wound channels I saw from the pictures on huge body bucks that hunters were showing us. I got 3 of the 2.1" and four of the 1.5" cut.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Mike, you are correct. I shot slick tricks for years, purchasing many from you and they are fabulous heads. I still stand by them as a great head and solid choice. Everyone has their favorites and the mechanical versus fixed debate could be argued forever.

However, I started using mechanicals some time back for normal game like deer, pigs and turkey with great results. Today's mechanicals are made so much better than the junk of many years ago. The great flight and the huge holes are hard to argue with. I would agree that you lose some penetration over fixed but on the majority of game, I'm still blowing through them at 27" draw and 72 lbs.

It's hard to say "this is the best" as it really boils down to personal preference and experience. However, for mechanicals, these really are extremely well made, hold up well and can honestly be reused.

Because I was honest and showed the pics of the many arrows, at first glance it may not look well for the head. However, what I should have showed was the huge hole it made despite a super thick shoulder plate and how well that 2.1" broadhead and arrow penetrated. I immediately pushed the big boar rather than let him lay down because of the approaching darkness and thunder storm coming. One of the arrows that barely penetrated was a used NAP killzone that deflected off a tree branch as I tried to thread the thick brush. I always have a few used arrows for follow up shots rather than use another brand new one.

All of my experience has been with the 2.1" head. I recently picked up the other two sizes and am really interested in trying. I'm looking forward to seeing the penetration on the 1.5" as I know how well the 2.1" has done for me but know the 1.5" will do better on larger game.

Anyways, I've had great results the last couple of years with them on deer as well as pigs near the 200lb mark. All going down quick from one arrow and usually on camera.

I think you could best describe it as rather that one broadhead style in your quiver, having a little variety doesn't hurt anything. I think you'll like them and wish you the best of luck. Appreciate the comments.

Comment

...and that's why i love hunting hogs. Never had a deer charge me or give me that fight or flight sensation that i enjoy while hog hunting on the ground.
      nice write up, and good harvest.

Comment

Working...
      X