Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folks are losing their jobs & business's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    I’ll **** and moan if I feel like it.

I run an events based non-profit. Thankfully, I’m the only full time employee. Has cost me plenty so far and will get worse. Good thing for part time work and a spouse.

I hope this bs ends quickly.
    That stinks, Jeff. I don't know how you couldn't moan about it. Incredibly frustrating. I don't know you well, but one thing I know about you is that you're a tough SOB and a survivor. I've always had a lot of respect for you for that. Hang in there, brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      If we bring back to the US just a fraction of manufacturing that has been moved to China in the last 20 years, we'll see an economic boom that will last a decade. Maybe this virus will be a wake-up call that spurs action.

But Trump's gotta win reelection.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
        If we bring back to the US just a fraction of manufacturing that has been moved to China in the last 20 years, we'll see an economic boom that will last a decade. Maybe this virus will be a wake-up call that spurs action.

I am all for this but do you think we actually have the workforce for it?

Comment

This is so ridiculous. If it’s not China, it will be the other 20 lower income countries. The problem is the US citizens want the lowest prices and enterprise wants the highest profits. Until you can change that, everything we do is counter productive.

Comment

Folks are losing their jobs & business's!

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            This is so ridiculous. If it’s not China, it will be the other 20 lower income countries. The problem is the US citizens want the lowest prices and enterprise wants the highest profits. Until you can change that, everything we do is counter productive.

X2

I am in the semi truck tire and repair business and last year when the anti dumping and CVD hit truck tires coming out of China I didn’t notice any more US factories open. Most factories just moved their molds to other countries like India and Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
              X2

I am in the semi truck tire and repair business and last year when the anti dumping and CVD hit truck tires coming out of China I didn’t notice any more US factories open. Most factories just moved their molds to other countries like India and Vietnam.
              Even before Trump was elected, we would get questions like "why are you still in China when XYZ nation is 10-20% cheaper?!?" Like we were making a bad business decision. If you are in the industry (and its not government work) its very clear where the root problem is. Basically its the same people that complain about manufacturing in lower income countries but then purchase anything on Amazon. You can't have both.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                I am all for this but do you think we actually have the workforce for it?
                All those kids who graduated in the last ten years with degrees in Art History, Women's Studies, and Sports Marketing who tend the bar at Starbucks will need training, but yes, I think it could be done with a reasonable amount of automation and retraining of the currently underutilized workers. Just find ones making $30k/yr with $100k+ of student loan debt. They will get on board.

I'm sceptical about the claims many employers make that there isn't enough trained workers to fill currently open positions. Too many HR departments think every new hire has to have N+1 years of experience and they set the minimal requirements absurdly high, thus always having a shortage. How can we simultaneously have a worker shortage AND a high number of underemployed workers?

The question is do we have the will and leadership as a nation to make the commitment to change. I'm afraid the toilet paper panic of 2020 will be remembered long after the strategic lesson that China owns our pharma supply chain will be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                  Unfortunately, I think that is the biggest impediment. Getting consumers to choose "made in USA" when it costs more.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                    Trump put in place the sba emergency funds for low interest loans
                    That alone should buy time but not sure how long.
                    I think alot of small businesses aren't aware of it and should do some research asap

up to 2 million is alot to work with for a business
                    https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-ne...virus-covid-19
                    Problem is, you aren’t eligible for that money until you’ve already fallen on your face...and then, it’s another 60 days or so to get any relief. Don’t know many new, smaller businesses that can last that long with no income.

Comment

Sounds good in theory but nobody wants to work for the dollar. That all want to work for 6 figure jobs. So many entitled people joining the work force now. We will see how they handle the next couple weeks

Comment

Mfg suffers from a skills gap. Not many younger generation going into blue collar type trades. Most contractors we work with will tell you it’s hard to find good electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters, machinists, etc...
                        We struggle to find good people much less get them to stay where I work

Comment

Words of wisdom. Just hold on. This too shall pass.
                          Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                          Unfortunately this is going to be like a hurricane. You hold on for dear life until it passes, then go outside and assess the damage and pick up the pieces that are left. I have very close friends in the restaurant business, and today's news of closures could mean the end for them. I sure hope not. This is gonna be really bad for the service industry.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                            Problem is, you aren’t eligible for that money until you’ve already fallen on your face...and then, it’s another 60 days or so to get any relief. Don’t know many new, smaller businesses that can last that long with no income.
                            This..

Not to mention it looks like Texas is not currently on the list for SBA Covid disaster relief. At least that is what I am seeing. I guess the Governor has some work to do.

J

Comment

I told my kids to pay attention, they are witnessing history. This will change us. These kids that have lived in a dream world their whole lives are finally getting a tiny taste of the real world. For the first time in their lives they cant get what they want, or do what they want to do when they want.

I hope this snaps them into a bit of reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X