Taxes - Out of Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
    Only problem I have is the difference in assets. Someone can have a million in the stock market with no taxes, but a million in land you pay property taxes. JMO. No big deal. Sales tax is the only way to go, but the Feds will not do that.
    Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    It's complicated but long story short the whole system is rigged to force more money into the stock market. It's always been that way. When one scheme stops pushing money towards the markets they start another one.

Right now IMO they are on their last leg... You're forced to invest or inflation eats you up. Can't sit cash at near 0% return, CD's was under 2% and bonds are worthless also.

Basically taxing the crap out of all savers by taking away the power to earn interest. Do the math and it's plain sick and wrong how much they're stealing.

Worked for me. I sold 24 acres in Burnet county because of property taxes. It wasn't ag exempt. Put a good amount of the money from the land in the stock market and have made a good return on it since then. Way more than I would have made on keeping the land.

Because of property taxes, when I retire, I plan to move to a low property tax state. I see me living somewhere like Alabama or Colorado in my future. Last summer's vacation to Gulf Shores my wife and I started looking at places to go ahead and buy now. Thinking of buying a place around Gulf Shores and VRBO/AirBnB it until I retire. At a minimum, I'm moving out of Austin to a place where property values are much lower.

Comment

Who all voted for the constitutional amendment (Prop 4) to prohibit a state income tax?

As long as the tax burden remains low I'd rather see an income tax than a property tax. Ain't right to see retirees on fixed incomes taxed out of their homes.
      We're currently ranked 35th in total effective tax burden by state-- plenty of room for improvement!

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
        Not just health insurance. All insurance!!
        I consider insurance = organized crime.

I don't want or need your protection but yet I am forced to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
          I consider insurance = organized crime.

I don't want or need your protection but yet I am forced to buy it.
          What insurance are you forced to buy?
          You are allowed to self insure your vehicles
          You are allowed to self insure your home if it is paid off
          You can now go with out health insurance

Comment

Another example...

I've seen old people who owned their homes since the 50-60's that lived WAY out in the country. I mean they were at least 10-15 miles outside the city limits. Their homes were paid off for stinking 20-30 years and the city annexes them. I never understood how a city can do that, just expand their boundaries, annex and make people pay tons more in taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              What insurance are you forced to buy?
              You are allowed to self insure your vehicles
              You are allowed to self insure your home if it is paid off
              You can now go with out health insurance
              I didn't know I could self insure vehicles and home. I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the tip.
              Already not doing the health insurance route. Saving money there.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Only people who have an income or retired should be allowed to vote. Every else is spending other people’s money.
                I completely agree with this statement. Our founding fathers fought the revolution based on the concept of "No Taxation without Representation"....well I think the new motto should be "No Representation without Taxation".....meaning no welfare turds should be able to vote. Unfortunately if you want your voice heard and treated with any level of equality....its going to cost you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                  Yep. Same people who get excited when they get a “refund”.
                  That’s the time the dems were singing some time back. Orange man bad! Refunds are smaller!!

Comment

Working...
                  X