Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen or have Purple Martins yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been killing Starlings with the Gamo every chance I get.

Skinny

Comment

Starlings and a 12 ga fo me. Got about 14 pair and just got my snake guards up

Comment

We have a nest inside the entryway to our house. I think these are martins, typically 2 to 3 groups come through each spring.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
          We have a nest inside the entryway to our house. I think these are martins, typically 2 to 3 groups come through each spring.

Those are barn swallows. Martin's rely on humans for housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
            Those are barn swallows. Martin's rely on humans for housing.

Well, I never was known for my bird identification skills. Wife likes them so I guess I will continue to clean up bird **** in our entry way and hope they eat a skeeter from time to time.

Comment

She will like them for years to come. Barn Swallow will come back every year to nest. I fight them every year to not start, do to the mess myself. But love seeing them up and down the street at others houses. I have the only in-ground pool around so they all seem to water there on the flyby. It is great watching the older ones teach the young-ens how to drink on the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                Well, I never was known for my bird identification skills. Wife likes them so I guess I will continue to clean up bird **** in our entry way and hope they eat a skeeter from time to time.

They are cool little bird. Very similar to purple martins as they are both swallows.

We've had a few nests like yours under the porches at my Uncle's house here on the place for 20 years.

Comment

We had purple feathers in the front yard last week...........guess Bayou caught one and made it go poof..........feathers everywhere! LOL

Comment

Just did a nest check. Got a few live ones!

Skinny

Comment

Shane, did your Martins show up on time? Mine were supper late this year. Not sure if I will have a hatch just yet. Maybe I will lower them down today and take a look. Maybe [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Love our barn swallows that come back each year. They usually have two hutchings and I thoroughly enjoy watching them darting and diving through the front yard and pasture. I've got a large covered porch and wish more would come and build nests.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                          Shane, did your Martins show up on time? Mine were supper late this year. Not sure if I will have a hatch just yet. Maybe I will lower them down today and take a look. Maybe [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yeah they were right on time. I had cleaned out my gourds and put fresh nest material in there for them so they didn't have to do too much other than settle in and bring in their live oak leaves like usual.

Comment

Working...
                          X