Camp rattlesnakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
    I don't agree with your statement. We have 3 known dens on our ranch. In early spring you will only find rattlers near and around these dens. Snakes from all over migrate to these dens every winter so the more of them we get rid of the fewer know how to get back to our ranch every winter. We have "snake hunters" come out every year and gas the dens. They live capture as many as they can.
    back in the day of the San Saba lease, there were the snake wrangles that would come on the lease and drive out with the truck squatting, they knew were the Den was and would get ton out, always come before the Rattle Snake round up.
    but we always kept an eye out for sure, and dispatched any one we seen i n and around camp and of course the BIG'un in the freezer was always good for a laugh on the New guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
      back in the day of the San Saba lease, there were the snake wrangles that would come on the lease and drive out with the truck squatting, they knew were the Den was and would get ton out, always come before the Rattle Snake round up.

but we always kept an eye out for sure, and dispatched any one we seen i n and around camp and of course the BIG'un in the freezer was always good for a laugh on the New guy...
      Those frozen ones are the best! The only good snake is a frozen snake!

Comment

I don't agree with your statement. We have 3 known dens on our ranch. In early spring you will only find rattlers near and around these dens. Snakes from all over migrate to these dens every winter so the more of them we get rid of the fewer know how to get back to our ranch every winter. We have "snake hunters" come out every year and gas the dens. They live capture as many as they can.
        What county do you hunt in and how many acres? Sounds scary.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
          What county do you hunt in and how many acres? Sounds scary.
          Menard County, 600 acres. My uncle has 700 acres next to us. He has a cave on his place. In early spring they will find 5-6 rattlers "sunning" around the entrance.

Comment

I don’t kill rattlesnakes unless they’re in my yard or living under my ground blinds.

Comment

Those frozen ones are the best! The only good snake is a frozen snake!
              remember when i was the new guy, dang near sh*t my pants,
              for sure i no they was a bit wet....

Comment

Around camp they die, out in the field I've always let em' crawl. However, my all-time favorite hunting k-9 buddy died of a RS bite 3 weeks ago, not sure how will affect my actions in the future, haven't really thought about it yet. But by all means, put out rat poison in and around the cabin on regular basis. Should be several places around that dogs can't get too.

Comment

To the OP, you're not wrong, and they're not wrong. They don't owe it to you to kill the snakes. You don't owe it to them to keep them alive. I kill all venomous snakes I see, but I know some people who relocate them. So while you're not "out to lunch" on wanting to kill the snakes, you are "out to lunch" on suggesting it be a requirement for everyone to kill them, even if they don't want to.

Comment

any venomous snake is a good start for a terrible day in my book . kill them all!!

Comment

We've always killed them all regardless of where they were. Mostly because they were so **** big.

Comment

I had a lease in Throckmorton Co. with an old pier & beam camp house and rattlesnakes lived under it. I killed 7 in one 24hour period in the yard or on the the first week in October. I'd bet that over the course of 3 years I killed 25+

Comment

Last one I killed was in December,2 yrs ago.He was a small one,and he was trying to come in under the back porch door.I guess because it was warm.I generally leave them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            How not killing them in camp wouldnt decrease the risk of someone getting bitten around camp. Like i said before, I am not saying you are not correct.
                            Let me preface I’m gonna kill them. That being said a lot of folks relocate them to other areas away from camp houses. They do have an important role In the ecosystem though.

I would agree either kill or relocate policy
                            Last edited by BrandonA; 05-24-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Regardless of eliminating food sources, all venomous snakes die if I come up on them.

Comment

If a rattlesnake is seen at camp, he is killed.... no questions asked at our lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X